Cor, blimey!

Used to work with someone who would refer to people he didn't like as a "J Arthur Rank" which rhymes with wank.

J Arthur Rank was the founder of the Rank organisation that makes films that all started with the giant man hitting the gong.

There's a tit over here calls me a sweaty sock = jock= Scottish conveniently there was nothing for English so I made one up pale of piss= English he doesn't seem to like it. :))

Why can't they just say the actual word?
It was to conceal the thrust of a conversation, from outsiders or polis.
They would only use the first part of the rhyme.
ie Up the apples for cup of rosie.
Up the apples and pears(stairs) for a cup of rosie lee(tea)
My favourite example was in the Bill, a wide boy asks the very rideable female officer(Martello?), if she "would like to spend the weekend on my boat?"
"Where is that "? she says.
"You're looking at it."

My favourite example was in the Bill, a wide boy asks the very rideable female officer(Martello?), if she "would like to spend the weekend on my boat?"
"You're looking at it."
Cheers for the info. Wonder if any other region used slang to conceal as much as they did.

One of the best and strangest I heard was from a good pal from south london, who u can hardly understand at best of times. “Don’t chicken curry” I said what , he said “worry” :))

"You're looking at it."
'Cant' on Wikipedia brings up a few examples of such languages. Pretty interesting stuff.

Back