Corbyns idea to 'nationalise' football Clubs

Who gives a f*ck? What’s Ashley going to do if he’s legislated into ceding 49% to a Newcastle supporters trust over ten years? He can’t shutter the ground, he’s not going to move the team anywhere because he can’t, he can’t threaten to withdraw investment ‘cos he doesn’t make any to begin with, and all of the shady dealings get made transparent and don’t happen again?
Who gives a f*ck? What’s Ashley going to do if he’s legislated into ceding 49% to a Newcastle supporters trust over ten years? He can’t shutter the ground, he’s not going to move the team anywhere because he can’t, he can’t threaten to withdraw investment ‘cos he doesn’t make any to begin with, and all of the shady dealings get made transparent and don’t happen again?

Regardless of who is on the board of any football club, or even the positives of such a scheme, do you honestly think they would stand by and hand over their investment? There is absolutely 0 chance of this happening. Just another sound bite from a scumbag politician looking for extra votes from those stupid enough to think they‘ve the power to do something like this

Regardless of who is on the board of any football club, or even the positives of such a scheme, do you honestly think they would stand by and hand over their investment? There is absolutely 0 chance of this happening. Just another sound bite from a scumbag politician looking for extra votes from those stupid enough to think they‘ve the power to do something like this
They cannot do a thing about it if the Government legislates to allow it.

I sometimes wonder what planet Jeremy is on.
Can you imagine the legal actions that would result from trying to strip ownership of English Premier league clubs from their billionaire owners.
The fat toad is a pauper in comparison to those who own the likes of Liverpool and Manchester City.
It is also absolutely clear that the Labour Party has little understanding of how modern businesses are structured.
And I’m not really talking about football clubs in that respect.

Isn't it the government of this country that sets the laws? Isn't that one of the main point of all this Brexit shite?

Any legal challenge could be pre-empted by the government with legislative change.

Who's policy it is aside, what's not to like about it? We know only too well about the dangers of cu*t owners.

You don't.

At the absolute top you have the best competing against the best. You have Real Madrid v Barcelona or Liverpool v Man City. Even in those same leagues you don't need to look too far to come up against some utter dross. Newcastle United? Watford? Everton?

The Bundesliga is a far more competitive league with strong attendances across the whole division and a strong focus on fans. It doesnt have the money of the EPL or the top sides in La Liga. It does have passion and a good level of competitive football.

People have been conditioned into believing that the only football worth watching is superstar playstation football. We used to laugh at the Japanese who idolised individual footballers and followed them like teenage girls would follow boy bands in the west. We've lost our focus on football as being a sporting contest between 2 teams where you watch in person with your fellow fans, you participate through your fan culture and you enjoy the challenge for the win.

I'd take a traditional lower league game over a glossy but ultimately dull EPL match. I'd take a Bundesliga game over Newcastle or Watford. UK football would be in a far better place if we had a German style fan membership/ownership culture, better control of club finance and a focus on putting fans at the heart of the game. Those matter far more than how much money rich Arabs are willing to spunk or players and how much debt shysters are happy to load onto clubs whilst stripping them of anything that has any value.

It's been won by Bayern 8 of the last 10 years.

Doing a quick google search

Bayern are the wealthiest club in Germany and 4th wealthiest club in the world.

Isn't it the government of this country that sets the laws? Isn't that one of the main point of all this Brexit shite?

Any legal challenge could be pre-empted by the government with legislative change.

Who's policy it is aside, what's not to like about it? We know only too well about the dangers of cu*t owners.
Have you seen how easily the government has lost in the courts when trying to force in laws that are easily challenged as being unfair?

Have you seen how easily the government has lost in the courts when trying to force in laws that are easily challenged as being unfair?

It's all relative. You, as a Rangers fan, should know how easy it would be to argue as "fair" the need to stop people buying national institutions as play things or dick extensions.

I cant believe anyone on here could have an issue with this policy.

We should be 100% behind it so that whoever gets elected can see the vote winning power of it.

I respectfully disagree.

Take away the money and you have an average sporting contest between 2 teams.....Add the money and you have the best competing against the best.

What a hideous mindset.

You'd have fucking hated the 60's and 70's buddy, when any team could dream of winning anything, and many did, before this boorish globalised crap kicked in and "the best" like Bournemouth had cash thrown at them, whilst giants like Rangers couldn't dream of competing with even tin-pot EPL teams like Burnley.

It's all relative. You, as a Rangers fan, should know how easy it would be to argue as "fair" the need to stop people buying national institutions as play things or dick extensions.

I cant believe anyone on here could have an issue with this policy.

We should be 100% behind it so that whoever gets elected can see the vote winning power of it.
I am not saying what has happened is right but I think it is cloud cuckoo land if you think governments would be successful in taking football clubs away from billionaires.....

I respectfully disagree.

Take away the money and you have an average sporting contest between 2 teams.....Add the money and you have the best competing against the best.
I would sooner shite in my hands and clap than watch another FA Cup final like last year's and there must have been about £500 million on the pitch and in the dugouts. The Champions League final was equally godawful.

What a hideous mindset.

You'd have fucking hated the 60's and 70's buddy, when any team could dream of winning anything, and many did, before this boorish globalised crap kicked in and "the best" like Bournemouth had cash thrown at them, whilst giants like Rangers couldn't dream of competing with even tin-pot EPL teams like Burnley.

Hideous mindset my arse and somewhat hypocritical coming from a Rangers supporter.

Elite wealthy teams push the bar higher. How any one can argue that the sport has not improved as a result of more money being pumped into the game is beyond me.

Personal preferences aside it’s fucking reality.

I give you Bayern, the fourth richest in the world which has won eight out of the last ten Bundesliga titles. Highly competitive!!

Which club would Jeremy’s Labour Party allow to get rich? I would guess the one his IRA supporting buddies back.
A Labour Party run footballing world would see us banned forever for not thinking correctly.
The same would happen to Spurs I expect!

Corbyn has as much chance as being the new PM as I do so the scruffy irrelevant waste of space can promise all he wants , it's never going to happen just like any of his false promises

In the last decade or so Manchester United have won the Champions's League, Europa League, EPL title and numerous FA Cups. They're also 511 million in debt, lack leadership from the top to the bottom and charge their fans extortionate amounts of pounds to sit in a soulless stadium with Chinese tourists talking pictures every time Paul Pogba touches the ball.

You've also not acknowledged the great success that the German national team have had over that time.

I'd argue that the dream for a football club should not be trophies but first of all rigorous, competent and clear safeguarding and leadership. Everything else is secondary.

I agree with you.

My point is that the harsh reality is teams are so desperate for that level of success they’ll continue to overspend.

I give you Bayern, the fourth richest in the world which has won eight out of the last ten Bundesliga titles. Highly competitive!!

Which club would Jeremy’s Labour Party allow to get rich? I would guess the one his IRA supporting buddies back.
A Labour Party run footballing world would see us banned forever for not thinking correctly.
The same would happen to Spurs I expect!

You've obviously not bothered to read most of this thread.

Corbyn is advocating a form of football governance that would have meant the last eight or nine years - in which the very existence of our club was threatened - would not have happened. The idea of rubbishing the idea outright is therefore absolutely reprehensible.

Its election time and the papers will start spouting pish about who they oppose. Corbyn is a twat but this is guff.

You've obviously not bothered to read most of this thread.

Corbyn is advocating a form of football governance that would have meant the last eight or nine years - in which the very existence of our club was threatened - would not have happened. The idea of rubbishing the idea outright is therefore absolutely reprehensible.
The idea is sound. I don’t trust the carrier of the message and I also don’t believe it can be delivered. Like most of his policies.

The idea is sound. I don’t trust the carrier of the message and I also don’t believe it can be delivered. Like most of his policies.

Fair enough - but the tone of some of your previous posts makes it sound like you consider it negatively.

There needs to be a huge conversation on football ownership, legality and custodians in this country. Football means too much to too many and we have allowed our communities to be ripped up and used as playthings for bored billionaires for too long. It matters.

Governments running football clubs. That's an SNP wet dream there. Disgrace. Like communist North Korea or Iran.

No offence but while he is at why not just give everyone the same wage no matter what job you are doing or how hard you work.

You don't.

At the absolute top you have the best competing against the best. You have Real Madrid v Barcelona or Liverpool v Man City. Even in those same leagues you don't need to look too far to come up against some utter dross. Newcastle United? Watford? Everton?

The Bundesliga is a far more competitive league with strong attendances across the whole division and a strong focus on fans. It doesnt have the money of the EPL or the top sides in La Liga. It does have passion and a good level of competitive football.

People have been conditioned into believing that the only football worth watching is superstar playstation football. We used to laugh at the Japanese who idolised individual footballers and followed them like teenage girls would follow boy bands in the west. We've lost our focus on football as being a sporting contest between 2 teams where you watch in person with your fellow fans, you participate through your fan culture and you enjoy the challenge for the win.

I'd take a traditional lower league game over a glossy but ultimately dull EPL match. I'd take a Bundesliga game over Newcastle or Watford. UK football would be in a far better place if we had a German style fan membership/ownership culture, better control of club finance and a focus on putting fans at the heart of the game. Those matter far more than how much money rich Arabs are willing to spunk or players and how much debt shysters are happy to load onto clubs whilst stripping them of anything that has any value.

With respect, people who are keen on fan ownership often cite the German leagues as a model to look up to and claim it is more competitive with less dross and done on a smaller budget. It sounds great but is patently untrue. The lower end of the top league in Germany has as many or more utter dung sides as any top league and the last 7 titles went to one team, with that one team picking up 14 of the last 19 titles and who spent £130 million this summer and an average of around £50 million per season before that. The bundesliga is the single least competitive league in Europe (if you ignore Rangers being unfairly treated in 2012)

With respect, people who are keen on fan ownership often cite the German leagues as a model to look up to and claim it is more competitive with less dross and done on a smaller budget. It sounds great but is patently untrue. The lower end of the top league in Germany has as many or more utter dung sides as any top league and the last 7 titles went to one team, with that one team picking up 14 of the last 19 titles and who spent £130 million this summer and an average of around £50 million per season before that. The bundesliga is the single least competitive league in Europe (if you ignore Rangers being unfairly treated in 2012)
France and Italy are a whole lot less competitive than Germany.

In any case, this is about protecting our football clubs, which are too important to our towns and cities but are subject to the whims of the owners with virtually no oversight. This entire website is a community built around our football club. If King wanted to up sticks and move it to London tomorrow, we’d have no power to stop him doing so. Same way we had no power to stop Murray using EBT’s which ruined us for the best part of a decade.

France and Italy are a whole lot less competitive than Germany.

In any case, this is about protecting our football clubs, which are too important to our towns and cities but are subject to the whims of the owners with virtually no oversight. This entire website is a community built around our football club. If King wanted to up sticks and move it to London tomorrow, we’d have no power to stop him doing so. Same way we had no power to stop Murray using EBT’s which ruined us for the best part of a decade.
Juve have won 8, but had not won it for a decade or so before that and 2 other sides had been title winners but yeah, I get your point. France is skewed by dint of the fact that one club is externally funded to a huge degree.

The point was that Germany is not some footballing utopia with a super competitive league and quality all the way down. It has exactly the same issues as every other league where money is involved at all: One team, or perhaps 2 or 3, dominate and improve while the remainder stagnate and deteriorate. Fan input does nothing to change that except for reducing ticketing costs and improving match experience. If those are the reasons for fan ownership, absolutely go for it, but people need to stop pretending it is good for the actual football because there is no evidence that it is.

The bloke slept with Diane Abbott.

I am never surprised with what he does or says next.
PLKvPc8.jpg

What was your thoughts on Whyte, Green, Ashley, Murray et al?
They are scumbags, but nobody has the right to steal other people's businesses from them.

There's a reason fit and proper tests are in place. We can all agree that currently these tests, throughout football, aren't working, but they are there to stop people with not the best interests taking control.

Fan ownership is great and I support it, but not through state stealing from owners.

I cant imagine that ever happening like, but it would be good if the Government took more interest in club take overs. The fit and proper tests by the fa/spfl ect clearly dont work, Look at whats just happened at Bury and then the Craig Whyte takeover as the prime examples. Football is one of the biggest industry's in the UK so The Government should do more to help protect it and stop cowboy owners buying clubs then run them into the ground, the list of clubs in England and Scotland that have suffered massively over the years due to bad owners is shocking and it will keep happening. The sad thing is, it will probably take a Manchester United type to go bust before anyone would spring into action!

Very few leagues in Europe will consistently have a title winner that changes from season to season. Doesnt happen in Spain. Doesnt happen in Italy. Doesnt happen in England. League titles are shared between 2 or 3 clubs.

But throughout the top flight there's a far higher standard in Germany. There is more competition between teams. It's a great league to watch as a spectator. It's contributed to the strength of the German national team.

Bayern are a huge team. They're not reliant on money from a single owner or investor. They're big because they've been run fantastically well. They're an example of great football governance rather than dodgy deals with city councils (Real, Barcelona), big investment from questionable individuals (Man City, Chelsea) or owners loading teams with debt (Inter, Juve, Milan, Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal).

Back