Corner Kicks...

Aldo007

What a way to defend corner kicks tonight. It was basically 5 v 5 in the middle of the box, 2 hanging about the edge of the box and 3 up near the halfway line. I was shiting it for the first 10 oe so then relaxed as in Alves i trust with his commanding of the box. SUPERB!!!

The reason I think Alnwick should be considered for a start. Wes' inability to come off his line will cost us. It's painful to watch balls come in 3 yards out and our keeper not coming for them.

The reason I think Alnwick should be considered for a start. Wes' inability to come off his line will cost us. It's painful to watch balls come in 3 yards out and our keeper not coming for them.

Wes was poor tonight, one of his bombscare performances which if we are being honest he is always capable of.

To be fair to Wes he had that wee cretin McLean blocking him at most corners followed by that hammerthrower Anderson an really couldn't get out to take anything. Ref failed to protect him. When Anderson got what he deserved they gave up blocking him and he won majority of corners thereafter. Granted he still can improve that aspect of his game but he was hindered by their players and a ref failing to act.

To be fair to Wes he had that wee cretin McLean blocking him at most corners followed by that hammerthrower Anderson an really couldn't get out to take anything. Ref failed to protect him. When Anderson got what he deserved they gave up blocking him and he won majority of corners thereafter. Granted he still can improve that aspect of his game but he was hindered by their players and a ref failing to act.

completely agree with this, tried to come for couple at 11 v 11 and struggled with the block, couple of corners once they were down to 10 and he wasnt bein blocked he was out and caught. Also other than the one one right on half time where they won first header and shot was put over(which wes may have got hand to if lower) and repeated deep corner start of second half where we caught them offside for second ball think we pretty much won every first ball from corners. adding in any free kicks they put into box which were the same then i think we defended extremely well in these scenarios

Obviously in future we may have to work on conceding less of these scenarios, but for the moment I am very happy with how we are defending them.

A guy in the pub has just told me st j got 17 corners.
I didn't think it was that many other than that spell where they got about ,4in a couple of minutes.
I've went to see Rangers for over 40 years and I can't think of any game in my life we've conceded that amount.
Is he exaggerating and I think he must be.
If not can anyone tell me if it's ever happened even in the last 20 years coz I don't think so

I didn't think it was that many other than that spell where they got about ,4in a couple of minutes.
I've went to see Rangers for over 40 years and I can't think of any game in my life we've conceded that amount.
If not can anyone tell me if it's ever happened even in the last 20 years coz I don't think so
It was definitely about 14 at one point.
We scored 3 goals. That's what matters.

That number of corners without losing a goal will serve further to build confidence throughout the team. And as pointed out, in recent seasons we would have definitely conceded from a number of them. But that's the past and it's great to be able to look forward now on the back of such positive signs.

You reckon he had a good game? Serious question. He does not command his box, the one he came out and flapped at and gave away a corner in the process was amateurish at best.

So because he had a flap at one of 16 corners, that's his entire performance not good enough and he should be dropped from the team?

Does that mean every player should be dropped if they misplace one pass? Or lose one tackle?

Wes played well last night and it's the moron's who've been wanting him dropped for ages that are criticising him again.

The "commanding goalkeeper" thing that people hit out with is an utter myth anyway. Even the best keepers on crosses probably only come for one out of every 4 or 5 crosses.

So because he had a flap at one of 16 corners, that's his entire performance not good enough and he should be dropped from the team?

Does that mean every player should be dropped if they misplace one pass? Or lose one tackle?

Wes played well last night and it's the moron's who've been wanting him dropped for ages that are criticising him again.

The "commanding goalkeeper" thing that people hit out with is an utter myth anyway. Even the best keepers on crosses probably only come for one out of every 4 or 5 crosses.

Oh dear, calm down treacle! who mentioned dropping him? I said he had a poor game that's all.
Btw when you start calling people morons for having an opinion on a msg board ironically you come across as a moron.

You reckon he had a good game? Serious question. He does not command his box, the one he came out and flapped at and gave away a corner in the process was amateurish at best.
I thought he was ok. Made one good save at 0-0, distribution good . Defence as as whole played well.

He misjudged one cross which was the only mistake I can think of.

My comment was more aimed at your description of his performance as a 'bombscare'

Which it wasn't

Fair enough bud, I actually like Wes as a shot stopper but there are parts of his game that I think he really needs to work on, I still maintain that he isn't commanding enough which doesn't inspire confidence in the back 4 , his distribution last night was good but other times it's dreadful but I do appreciate that he can't be great every game.

He had nothing in front of him last year and kept us in games, or at least kept the scores respectable.
If my memory is correct, Mc Gregor was shocking at cross balls sometimes and some on here thought he was brilliant, id keep Wes and stick with Jak in cup games until such times that Wes costs us games.
Jak is untried and as the old saying goes one swallow does not make a summer!

I cant remember ever seeing a team having as a relentless amount of corners against us.

I dont know how many corners they had or how long it went on for (it felt like it lasted 10 minutes) but it was like a training drill.

The encouraging thing was is that you could see that we had been working on defending corners during the international break and we looked solid.

Credit must go to pedro for that.

Have you seen enough of Alnwick to say he'd be better at these balls? I know I haven't

You're the type of guy that will blame Wes for giving away that corner he clearly never touched just to dig him up for something

Am I ? Wow that's amazing how you have deduced my personality from a post on a discussions board , you must be some sort of Primark seer with rubbish super powers as you clearly haven't got one clue as to what sort of guy I am.

Don't know for sure but, as much as I'd be happier not conceding them, I'm exceptionally happy at how well we defended them.
I've always been happy to accept eleven in the box when defending corners but if we've got somebody as commanding as Alves to win the headers, perhaps taking three, so six, out of the box, will give Alves the space to go and meet the ball more often.

We defended the corners really well despite some blatant blocking and backing into Wes. He can't do it back too much or he gives a penalty away. He is trusting his defenders to get to the ball. Not sure why some on here are mentioning Alnwick or describing Wes as 'bombscare'. Stupid comments. He deserves better than this.

We definitely defended well which is great to see. Every time warburtons team conceded a corner. I couldn't look as I was convinced we where losing a goal.

Wes kept getting blocked off yet the referee never gave a foul. Thought we defended the balls into the box fairly well given how good St Johnstone are in those area's.

Back