Corners

Sometimes it feels like us taking a corner is just a formality rather than a genuine effort or belief that it can produce a goal

Because corners aren't the great goal-scoring opportunities that many people think. If you look at the stats, only about 1 in 70 corners leads to a goal.

Reactions: TN8
We’ve been like this for years.

I couldn’t tell you the last time we were dangerous from corners and indirect free kicks

Katic is our real danger from set plays. I wonder how many corners he's scored from this season. Just a shame his confidence went when he was dropped.

Hope that's not a Leigh Griffiths tip

No, he was coughing and spluttering when I mentioned it.
Now that I look back on it, I don't think he disagreed with me, just got some salt up his nose.
It burns the nostrils and the back of the throat allegedly.

Surely we can get some variation into them where we pull defenders out of position and create opportunities. Nothing worse than watching the ball coming off the first defender or sailing over heads to nowhere.

Sometimes it feels like us taking a corner is just a formality rather than a genuine effort or belief that it can produce a goal

I tend to agree with this and it's been a problem for many years for us. We need players - who can firstly and most fundamentally whip them into dangerous areas with pace every single time - and who are willing to take a burst nose when they go up for a header from a corner to burst the back of the net. A goal like that from a corner is a dying part of the game on the whole though.

I tend to agree with this and it's been a problem for many years for us. We need players - who can firstly and most fundamentally whip them into dangerous areas with pace every single time - and who are willing to take a burst nose when they go up for a header from a corner to burst the back of the net. A goal like that from a corner is a dying part of the game on the whole though.

I was going to mention that last part. Goals like that from corners really aren’t seen much. I think defenses are much better nowadays and have set pieces sussed to a much greater degree.

With Barisic and Middleton we should have two good left footed in swingers.

Maybe we’re better off doing the whole routine where the corner is delivered to someone from a deep position who then swings it in. At least this would unsettle the opposition defense.

Go back and watch the 1st minute again please! Great short corner to pull their defenders out, fantastic cross zipped into the back post, unbelievable header off the post from a yard out!

Our in-swinging corners first half were decent,Tav and Borna hitting them.they were causing Hamilton problems.
Second half Barisic hit most corners and they were ineffective out-swingers?

Laff missed a sitter after a well worked corner in the 1st minute. That goes in this thread does not exist.

As many have said they are not great goal scoring opportunities but we created a clear cut chance from one yesterday.

In the second half at Dundee we had 31 crosses into the box and 28 of them hit the first Dundee defender 3 were headed by a Rangers player. That is shocking, I counted as I am an anorak

Awful stat in days of Butcher and Gough and Hayley a corner was a real opportunity because they really attacked every ball

Because corners aren't the great goal-scoring opportunities that many people think. If you look at the stats, only about 1 in 70 corners leads to a goal.

Exactly.

The delivery was mostly very good and our players got on the end of a few, which is all you can really ask.

Still struggling to understand why people are so pissed off about yesterday. Frustrating to only get the one goal but we absolutely battered them and on another day it would've been 5 or 6.

I thought we had a few decent deliveries yesterday and could have scored 2 Or 3 from them

I always seem to remember McAuley scoring quite a few from corners while at West Brom but looking in more detail he scored 15 times in 6+ years

Don't know about corners but the length of time we take over throw ins and usually lose possession with it is staggering.
Some of our players seem really static when we have a throw in.I don't think we move the opposition defence out of position often enough

I mean you say we did nothing from them, but our deliveries were great and they were well defended. If Lafferty wasn't an absolute donkey we'd have scored from a well worked corner

We started yesterday with some nice tactics from the corners, Lafferty's sitter comes a short corner worked well. Another chance from Tav that their goalkeeper tipped over the bar comes from similar.

Back