Coronavirus, possible League season declared" null and void".

Can you tell me what you mean by infection rate is highest in modern history?
For this particular virus it clearly is as its new so previously it was zero
For viruses in general it clearly isn't. Flu kills more than 200k every year, 20m at least infected
This virus has less than 100k infections and less than 3k deaths
Absolutely agree, there is some hysterical shite going round about basically this years flu

Last edited:
Mortality rate is now 3.4% and it is now in every continent (with exception of Antarctica) and will likely be in every country in a matter of weeks.

To put that 3.4% in perspective, the Spanish flu of 1918 had a 2.5% mortality rate. It killed around 40 million people.
Yeah but isn’t that figure skewed by the cases in Iran and China where public health systems are terrible. The death rate in Italy is a lot less.

So this was a brillant read.
Not only am i a Liverpool fan,i also have a mega wish order coming any day...

Times they are a changing

Yeah but isn’t that figure skewed by the cases in Iran and China where public health systems are terrible. The death rate in Italy is a lot less.
Death rate in China is skewed as it was first and a bit overwhelming. Recent death rate much better. Iran is the real anomaly. Look at other countries and death rates are low and in many cases zero. For example Singapore 90+ cases 0 deaths.
It's only after it's over accurate death rates can be assessed but early estimates are almost always proved to be too high by large factors
The fastest growing number in this is now not new infections or deaths but recoveries
For some reason this is being overlooked by media both mainstream and social
If you're worried read articles by experts or a decent paper
If you rely on social media or tabloids you will be getting inaccurate alarmist crap
If you choose to believe that you deserve the stress that it will bring which ironically will weaken your immune system making it more likely you will catch it and die from it
Wash your hands regularly, avoid unnecessary contact with those who have it and live the healthiest lifestyle you can and you'll be fine unless you are spectacularly unlucky

I doubt it’ll happen. Absolute worst case scenario they’d declare the league finished on the points everyone has when it has to be abandoned.

But my God, it would be f*cking hilarious watching the SFA and the scum wriggle and squirm and lash out and jump through all kind of hoops to find or invent some non-existent law of the game that would allow them to award the title to the scum. :D

Absolutely agree, there is some hysterical shite going round about basically is this years flu
While there may be some over the top nonsense being posted, your post about this basically being this years flu is one of them.

Do you think governments around the world and WHO would be reacting the way they are for normal flu?? Countries, China in particular are losing billions of pounds because of it. All kinds of events are being disrupted, this isn’t happening because of a case of this years flu.

UEFA should do the right thing and stop the Europa League now. The 16 remaining clubs should be joint champions and play in a specially extended champions League next year.

It's the only thing to do.

are you going to refund everyone that has booked trips?

Yeah but that presupposes that folk who have it carry on regardless when symptoms show and that they come into contact with lots of folk each who do the same. And while symptoms don’t show immediately some folk will know they’ve been in an area with cases and self isolate. Plus there’s the actual contact angle. Not everyone coughs on each other or walks about touching people’s skin.
There is a reason why GP's never get ill. They wash their hands as soon as the patient leaves the room.
Simple hygiene prevents the spread.

Not particularly. 650 cases, 21 deaths.

CFR 3.2%
No it’s 889 cases and the % is 2.3. It is pretty clear that better health systems seem to tally with lower death rates, although intensity of transmission seems to be a factor (but obviously that is also linked to public health systems).

the province in China where it started is relatively poor whereas the death rate drops dramatically in the rest of China

No it’s 889 cases and the % is 2.3. It is pretty clear that better health systems seem to tally with lower death rates, although intensity of transmission seems to be a factor (but obviously that is also linked to public health systems).

the province in China where it started is relatively poor whereas the death rate drops dramatically in the rest of China

Fair enough, I must have been looking at yesterday's data. However of the 200+ new confirmed cases (and any of the non recovered) if 7 more die, then it is again at around 3.2%

This is a fast moving and ever changing situation and of course a better health service will in all likelihood arrive at a lower CFR, it won't take all that much for even the best health services to become overwhelmed which could lead to people dying directly as a result of the virus or indirectly as patient care is reduced in other areas to try cope with the spike in hospital admissions.

Can you imagine the clamour for postponing the league if we are 1 point ahead with 1 game to go... I can only dream.

The most complete dataset not surprisingly is from China
Taking small datasets from developing situations smacks of having an agenda
There was a study done of the first 30k cases in China
It is available online and if anyone is interested in balanced largely factual information it is worth looking for

Fair enough, I must have been looking at yesterday's data. However of the 200+ new confirmed cases (and any of the non recovered) if 7 more die, then it is again at around 3.2%

This is a fast moving and ever changing situation and of course a better health service will in all likelihood arrive at a lower CFR, it won't take all that much for even the best health services to become overwhelmed which could lead to people dying directly as a result of the virus or indirectly as patient care is reduced in other areas to try cope with the spike in hospital admissions.

my overall point is the CFR is likely to fall for various reasons and the current one is very skewed by the profile of the epicentre of the outbreak and the Iran cluster. At the moment it’s a bit like suggesting the death rate of a virus in Africa would be the same as here.
Tricky stuff though because we actually need people to be a bit scared so they wash their f*cking hands

Reactions: Moz
If we were 12 points clear...Who would put it past Neil Lennon to claim he's suffering symptoms?...

And how long would it take the SFA to postpone the league? 2 minutes?

I’m certain there will be international travel restrictions imposed soon which will definitely affect European sporting competitions .This is the best information I have found regarding the virus from a UK doctor with no waffle
Found that really informative and to the point. Thanks for posting.

Celtic having their * Years NIAR snatched from them would be hilarious....

Liverpool cantering to the title, only to have it taken from them on the basis of something like this would, from a complete neutral’s point if view, utterly comical.

I can make an argument for one league competition to be declared void, for the other I have a lot of sympathy and think it would be a ridiculous decision.

Back