Correct Lyrics to Blue Sea of Ibrox

jnloyal

Ships "ply" a route: "the QE2 plied between Southampton and New York for many years."

Anyone singing "flied" is clearly some kind of complete simpleton.

i have had my first drink tonight since 28/12 and find this very funny. Plied 100%.

Axelrod a truly fantastic song. Against Man Utd it was sung at its finest in the champs league.

BeachBear

I think it’s a poor tune , poor lyrics , speeds up at the wrong moment for a football song , fans run out of breath at “ part of every Rangers players dream “ , there’s so many faults in it I could be here all day .

I don’t like it - get over it .
Which is why I sing a different line ;)

Saltcoats_Loyal

I don’t like the song , and the words are daft , it’s my opinion . I’m not winding anyone up I know I’m in the minority .

I haven’t sailed the wild Atlantic , heard any forties Roar, stormy gates etc .

4 lads had a dream and follow follow resonate with me . Blue sea of Ibrox doesn’t .

It’s a sad day If having that opinion means I’m “ at the wind up “ .

I’ve never inserted myself into the papal father ?

You don’t have to have done something to sing it mate

Going by your logic the Pope’s gonnae have an arse like the Clyde tunnell

Portrushbear

It’s never been either to me as I think it’s a bloody terrible song, embarrassing lyrics with no relevance to our club whatsoever .

Give me 4lads had a dream every day of the week over it .
I'm confused

Explain how this song has no relevance to our club?

Axelrod

I'm confused

Explain how this song has no relevance to our club?
I’ve said all I’m going to on the subject of the song mate .

I don’t like it . I’m not a merchant seaman , I don’t think it’s a good football song, I think we have far better ones , pretty much sums it up .

Just my opinion- that’s all it is . Take it or leave it .

Axelrod

If I remember correctly MagicDeBoer used to hit out with the same pish about BSOI on the last board.
I think I’ll follow him since he must have taste .

It’s not “ pish “ funkhouser , it’s just not very good .

If you can’t deal with someone not liking a daft song , I feel for you .

Sad .

tottie beck

All websites online wrongly state that the lyrics are “flied” which is incorrect. I found a club leaflet online there which state the lyrics are “plied”.

I always sang the second verse there (chorus) as:
It’s the blue, blue, blue sea of Ibrox
It’s the greatest sight that I have ever seen
And you see it when the orange beat the green
Rather that “it’s part of every Rangers player’s dream”

Am I guilty of “add ons”?

Axelrod

I always sang the second verse there (chorus) as:
It’s the greatest sight that I have ever seen
And you see it when the orange beat the green
Rather that “it’s part of every Rangers player’s dream”

Am I guilty of “add ons”?
No your words are the original , the club “ sanitised “ it before handing out the cardboard lyrics before the man united game .

Mustn’t have orange beating green sung at Ibrox , think of the children :oops::p

Slybacon

It’s never been either to me as I think it’s a bloody terrible song, embarrassing lyrics with no relevance to our club whatsoever .

Give me 4lads had a dream every day of the week over it .
Trolling ffs.
Today it's THE most resounding song when sung. No contest.

Davieblue

I just don’t like it mate ffs .

I’m not alone BTW. But no wonder nobody else on here wants to admit it if this is the reaction !

Foisted upon us pre match v man united at Ibrox with the words printed on a bit of cardboard and on the screens ? I’ll pass thanks .

Poor song then, poor song now .
Poor song
It’s never been either to me as I think it’s a bloody terrible song, strange lyrics with no real relevance to our club unless your a merchant seaman .

Give me 4lads had a dream every day of the week over it . Just my opinion .
I didn’t know a song had to be relevant to everyone?!

Dr Steve Brule

I was wondering about this after watching Saint Phnx's cover of it. I've always sung "plied" and that was the first time I'd heard "flied", which doesn't make sense to me.

TimzRFudz

Was a thread on misheard lyrics years ago on the old proboards (I think). One of them was when singing Derry's Walls;

"King James and all his rebel scum,
Came up to Bishopbriggs"

:))
I also get mildly annoyed that 99.9% of our supporters then sing "With heart and hand and sword and shield, we'll guard old Derry's Walls."

It should be "we forced them to retreat".

Just since the thread has gone full retard / pedant :cool:

Stanley Yelnats

I also get mildly annoyed that 99.9% of our supporters then sing "With heart and hand and sword and shield, we'll guard old Derry's Walls."

It should be "we forced them to retreat".

Just since the thread has gone full retard / pedant :cool:
I’m sure the version we sing isn’t anything like the original song.

The chorus goes: “We’ll fight and don’t surrender, but come when duty calls, with heart and hand and sword and shield, we’ll guard old Derry’s walls.

WBD

Official Ticketer
Axelrod in ‘Man has his own opinion’ shocker.

Too many on here get worked up about the wrong things.
It's not about his dislike of the song. Nobody has criticised him for not liking the sing. It was his comments like, it has nothing to do with our club, he's never sailed the wild Atlantic. It was embarrassing, :oops:

As I said music is subjective and it's perfectly understandable that some don't like some songs.

Velvet Underground

It’s never been either to me as I think it’s a bloody terrible song, strange lyrics with no real relevance to our club unless your a merchant seaman .

Give me 4lads had a dream every day of the week over it . Just my opinion .
You're right, I mean what has a song about Ibrox got to do with our club, absolutely nothing.

Reactions: WBD

bearett

In the first verse of the song, I’ve always sang I’ve plied the Indian Ocean but at games folk are singing flied the Indian Ocean and that band who covered it recently sing flied as well.

I surely can’t be the only one who sings plied?

Otherwise I’ve been singing it wrong for years.[/QUOT

Plied the only words I know, not heard any diffrent

Axelrod

You're right, I mean what has a song about Ibrox got to do with our club, absolutely nothing.
Unless we have 40 odd thousand season ticket holders bearing a resemblance to Captain Birdseye .

Stormy gates ? Wild Atlantic ? Forties roar? Broad Pacific shore ? It’s seafaring bingo .

In the end , it’s a not very good football song at best , which is of course subjective and it’s just my opinion .

Many others seem to like it and that’s fine by me . I don’t , I can’t believe I’m still being asked why , as if I need to justify not liking a song .

Enjoy your Sunday ! :cool:

Velvet Underground

Unless we have 40 odd thousand season ticket holders bearing a resemblance to Captain Birdseye .

Stormy gates ? Wild Atlantic ? Forties roar? Broad Pacific shore ? It’s seafaring bingo .

In the end , it’s a not very good football song at best , which is of course subjective and it’s just my opinion .

Many others seem to like it and that’s fine by me . I don’t , I can’t believe I’m still being asked why , as if I need to justify not liking a song .

Enjoy your Sunday ! :cool:
I'm not saying someone isn't allowed to like it, I'm just wondering how a song that has the chorus "it's the blue, blue, blue sea of Ibrox" can be considered to have nothing to do with Rangers because it's nautical based.

Are you looking for more gritty, reality based Ibrox themed songs? Every Other Saturday's quite a good one but then not everyone enters the ground from the Copland Road or has a wee pal called Joe so this might not be a good example either.

Reactions: WBD

Kwodman

Cant beat it when Ibrox is in full voice letting rip with the blue sea of Ibrox. Hairs on the back of my neck stand up every time. Its an amazing spectacle we are honestly some support when in the mood.

Axelrod

I'm not saying someone isn't allowed to like it, I'm just wondering how a song that has the chorus "it's the blue, blue, blue sea of Ibrox" can be considered to have nothing to do with Rangers because it's nautical based
Because for me that’s the only part that isn’t about seafaring .

It’s not a deal breaker I’m not going to fall out with anyone who likes it :p