Correct Lyrics to Blue Sea of Ibrox

Stanley Yelnats

In the first verse of the song, I’ve always sang I’ve plied the Indian Ocean but at games folk are singing flied the Indian Ocean and that band who covered it recently sing flied as well.

I surely can’t be the only one who sings plied?

Otherwise I’ve been singing it wrong for years.

It’s never been either to me as I think it’s a bloody terrible song, strange lyrics with no real relevance to our club unless your a merchant seaman .

Give me 4lads had a dream every day of the week over it . Just my opinion .

Last edited:
If always said plied as well but things change over the years, follow follow was always
" though the straits be broad or narrow"

But now streets has replaced straits to a lot of folk.
Younger kids probably assumed the words because plied isn't a well used word now in the context of the song .
Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:
It’s never been either to me as I think it’s a bloody terrible song, embarrassing lyrics with no relevance to our club whatsoever .

Give me 4lads had a dream every day of the week over it .
Serious question here - What's embarrassing?

The song is about our fans in our stadium, how does this have no relevance???

It’s never been either to me as I think it’s a bloody terrible song, embarrassing lyrics with no relevance to our club whatsoever .

Give me 4lads had a dream every day of the week over it .
There's no issue with you disliking it but your reasoning is seriously faulty because the song is all about going to watch Rangers.

I think it's one of our best personally. As a Bear who does travel from the Highlands to Ibrox it does resonate with me a fair bit.

You at the windup?

I don’t like the song , and the words are daft , it’s my opinion . I’m not winding anyone up I know I’m in the minority .

I haven’t sailed the wild Atlantic , heard any forties Roar, stormy gates etc .

4 lads had a dream and follow follow resonate with me . Blue sea of Ibrox doesn’t .

It’s a sad day If having that opinion means I’m “ at the wind up “ .

Serious question here - What's embarrassing?

The song is about our fans in our stadium, how does this have no relevance???

I think it’s a poor tune , poor lyrics , speeds up at the wrong moment for a football song , fans run out of breath at “ part of every rangers players dream “ , there’s so many faults in it I could be here all day .

I don’t like it - get over it .

I don’t like the song , and the words are daft , it’s my opinion . I’m not winding anyone up I know I’m in the minority .

4 lads had a dream and follow follow resonate with me . Blue sea of Ibrox doesn’t .

It's a song! A football song. How can you be embarrassed? Oh and it's stormy capes

It's a song! A football song. How can you be embarrassed? Oh and it's stormy capes

I just don’t like it mate ffs .

I’m not alone BTW. But no wonder nobody else on here wants to admit it if this is the reaction !

Foisted upon us pre match v man united at Ibrox with the words printed on a bit of cardboard and on the screens ? I’ll pass thanks .

Poor song then, poor song now .

I think it’s a poor tune , poor lyrics , speeds up at the wrong moment for a football song , fans run out of breath at “ part of every rangers players dream “ , there’s so many faults in it I could be here all day .

I don’t like it - get over it .
Lol, Fair play. Each to their own mate.

Wasnt having a go, just wanted to know why.

Travel the world. See the sights. Realise Ibrox is the best place in the world. Never need more.

It’s probably my favourite song. :)

There's no issue with you disliking it but your reasoning is seriously faulty because the song is all about going to watch Rangers.

I think it's one of our best personally. As a Bear who does travel from the Highlands to Ibrox it does resonate with me a fair bit.

Agreed. It conjures up the image in my mind of our people having travelled the world over but always longing for the return to the place they love most, Ibrox.

It’s actually a beautifully crafted song and a genuine classic. Something every single person, man, woman, adult or young child can all proudly join in.

Whoever wrote that one deserves great credit and brings honour on themself and our club.

It’s a massive thumbs up from me

If always said plied as well but things change over the years, follow follow was always
" though the straits be road or narrow"

But now streets has replaced straits to a lot of folk.
Younger kids probably assumed the words because plied isn't a well used word now in the context of the song .
Just my opinion of course.
Everyday’s a school day right enough; I always thought it was ‘broad’ .

Agreed. It conjures up the image in my mind of our people having travelled the world over but always longing for the return to the place they love most, Ibrox.

It’s actually a beautifully crafted song and a genuine classic. Something every single person, man, woman, adult or young child can all proudly join in.

Whoever wrote that one deserves great credit and brings honour on themself and our club.

Except the bit that goes “ and it’s part of every Rangers players dreeeeam....” and gets so high pitched even the local dugs run for cover :p:D

Perfectly put.

I just don’t like it mate ffs .

I’m not alone BTW. But no wonder nobody else on here wants to admit it if this is the reaction !

Foisted upon us pre match v man united at Ibrox with the words printed on a bit of cardboard and on the screens ? I’ll pass thanks .

Poor song then, poor song now .
I never questioned your opinion on not liking it. I already said music is subjective. People don't always agree, if you don't like it that is perfectly acceptable. I would say your 'not liking it's is a tad obsessive. The lyrics are embarrassing, poor tune , poor lyrics , speeds up at the wrong moment for a football song , fans run out of breath at “ part of every rangers players dream “ , there’s so many faults in it I could be here all day. As I say a tad obsessive. As opposed to I don't like the song :cool:

Just to add I know many may not like this one but I’m no way will I get upset or offended if you don’t :p

I’m not fussed on blue sea of Ibrox , I never have been and never will be .

Live and let live .
Did swallow an anchor then?

I never questioned your opinion on not liking it. I already said music is subjective. People don't always agree, if you don't like it that is perfectly acceptable. I would say your 'not liking it's is a tad obsessive. The lyrics are embarrassing, poor tune , poor lyrics , speeds up at the wrong moment for a football song , fans run out of breath at “ part of every rangers players dream “ , there’s so many faults in it I could be here all day. As I say a tad obsessive. As opposed to I don't like the song :cool:

I was asked to explain why I didn’t like it . So I gave an honest answer !

All websites online wrongly state that the lyrics are “flied” which is incorrect. I found a club leaflet online there which state the lyrics are “plied”.

2m67qip.jpg

Just to add I know many may not like this one but I’m no way will I get upset or offended if you don’t :p

I’m not fussed on blue sea of Ibrox , I never have been and never will be .

Live and let live .

That’s another absolute classic.

No argument from me about that.

We really do need to do more to actively promote and encourage all our fans to sing some brilliant Rangers songs and simultaneously take all the ammo out of the republican anti sectarian sham.

In the first verse of the song, I’ve always sang I’ve plied the Indian Ocean but at games folk are singing flied the Indian Ocean and that band who covered it recently sing flied as well.

I surely can’t be the only one who sings plied?

Otherwise I’ve been singing it wrong for years.
Fried.

I know someone who for YEARS sang 'Oh No Pope of Rome, A chapel kicked sand in my eyes'

Latest posts

Back