Could Alfie and Defoe play together on Saturday?

I think they could but it would need to be Defoe through the middle with Alfie out wider rather than them playing in tandem as a proper partnership.

Alfredo is that good he could play slightly wider anyway and still be as lethal in a front three. Watching him recently he ends up out wide a lot of the time anyway and seems to be pretty effective.

Personally I'm quite happy with the rotation plan we use now but the manager could be tempted if we were playing lesser opposition.

I like the thought of a back 3 but cant see Gerrard changing which is fair enough. Suppose its good to have fresh ideas.

McGregor

Goldson Helander Katic

Tavernier Jack Davis Aribo Barisic

Defoe Morelos
That actually looks decent. Only other way to play them together is Morelos off to the right in the Arfield position

Too narrow need the width. Alfie blasting them for 70mins full pelt, JD off the bench to hover in the spaces and mop up any chances for the last 20mins.

The system is working fine as it is just now, all those who want 3 at the back and 2 strikers forget we have Kent coming back in a few weeks and this will not suit his game at all, unless its for a one off game it won't be used longterm.

I like the thought of a back 3 but cant see Gerrard changing which is fair enough. Suppose its good to have fresh ideas.

McGregor

Goldson Helander Katic

Tavernier Jack Davis Aribo Barisic

Defoe Morelos
Would like to see this trialled again. Home games at Ibrox is the perfect time to give it a go.

Wouldn't mind ojo in behind the strikers either. But arfield is probably most suited to it

Our formation/team set up is fine. The only game we’ve lost this season is when our manager had a brain fart and decided to mess about with things.

No chance.

I like the idea of it tho. A lot of the joy Ojo gets in the final third is usually because Morelos has ragdolled some defenders out the way. Imagine the damage someone with Defoes intelligence could do with that amount of space

Aberdeen is not the game to be changing shape, especially when we are winning. 2 up front doesn’t appear to be something Gerrard is considering given that we never even tried it in pre-season.

However, they are both excellent players and I wouldn’t be against trying it at some point.

I don’t get this fascination trying to get the 2 playing together. Hardly any team in Europe has 2 “number 9’s” and why would we change things when it’s been so positive?

Aberdeen know how to play against us, especially at Ibrox so maybe do something different that they won’t expect?
I disagree with this to be honest, despite some of the results they managed against us last season. Aberdeens 'tactics' against us are basically to keep things tight, hope for a mistake and then defend like their lives depend on it if they score from that mistake. That's it.

Hopefully follow same pattern as yesterday. Alfie will batter them around all day then Defoe will jump on and nab a couple when their cbs are absolutely fucked.

It could work but I wouldn't be doing it for numerous reasons.

It isnt tried and tested, it hadn't much width, it leaves us without a proper striker to come on.

I'd leave it.

why do you want to change things?

Because goals knock fk out an opposition resilience that’s why.

Yes the results bar one have been better so far this season and I take your point about why change but we are far far too laboured getting games sewn up. Sooner or later that’s going to cost us.

I’d like to see Gerrard try to get them playing together although admittedly not every game. I look at the mentally challengeds and they usually have the points in the bag a lot earlier than we do then just canter to full time. Not saying we try and emulate that mob (god forbid) but we have two really consistent strikers now and I’d love to see them partner up more regularly whenever possible.

13W 2D 1L. 40 Goals. What we're doing is working exceptionally well – let's not change it.

More strikers do not = more goals.

Back