Could an Old Firm women's match fill Ibrox or Celtic Park?

If they were playing in my back garden I’d open my patio doors and tell them to bu.gger off. Women’s sport is not for spectators. I don’t mind them running about but don’t try and market it

In my opinion, it could - yes. It's a different market to those who attend Ibrox every second weekend, and in a 50/50 split they would sell 50k. However, the split won't be 50/50 so i'd imagine about 25-30k at very peak just now.

Not a chance.
Rangers vs celtc women would struggle to fill Firhill. No one is interested in it

Not now at this present moment in time but maybe in a few years time they could reach 20 or 30k.

It would need to be a weekend when no other football was on I'd say.

Football in England seems to be growing well. They recently had nearly 80k for an England game.

It would under certain circumstances.

Ie no other real football on, saturday afternoon - league decider. £5 a ticket kids go free. Would need a proper build up in the media to help.

Not now, but it's a possibility 10 years from now.
I've a couple of mates who now spend their weekends watching their 10 year old daughters playing football. As time goes on its likely to become more popular.

If it were a league decider and under 16s admission free it could hit maybe 30 odd thousand but I don't think it would sell out.

Honestly don't know anyone who watches, or has the remotest interest in women's football.

A couple of thousand crowd at the very max, I'd say.
Could see it pushing to 10000 maybe but no more. I watched a couple of the Women’s World Cup matches and thought the standard was pretty poor even with the top teams.

No. Women’s football is being hyped beyond belief in some places but I don’t think there’s much of a market for it around here.

I'd go if it was sensibly priced and didn't have anything else planned.

Unfortunately, genetics dictate that the men's game will always be more watchable as a contest.

If my daughter wanted to go I would take her

I would not go on my own volition

Not being funny here but I think the target market is probably parent / daughter and lesbians

I wouldn't think so. I don't think there's he appetite for it, despite BBC/Sky etc trying to ram women experts and news down your throat. Most men IMO see it as a bit of a joke, lower than amateur football. Was there not a discussion recently about reducing the size of the goals in womens football? I think that says it all

If my daughter wanted to go I would take her

I would not go on my own volition

Not being funny here but I think the target market is probably parent / daughter and lesbians
haha, true in a way though. I have a daughter and would happily take her to a women's game probably over a men's game

The responses on here kind of put to bed the uber staunch view that we'd all back Rangers even if they were playing tiddlywinks.

I'd probably go, maybe attractive for families. Would be nowhere near a sell out though, it's a struggle for most clubs to sell out first team games, never mind woman's football which is only starting to get decent exposure in this country.
It's not often that the words 'decent' and 'women's football' are mentioned in the same sentence. ;)

Didnt the English ladies team sell out Wembley. If the game was built right over the next few years then yeah of course it could

Record highest attendances down in England in the WSL are around 30k and they were Manchester and North London derbies with very cheap tickets. In time we could see that but not now.

p7fkCSS.gif

If the tickets are free, perhaps. As a novelty factor, and it's Rangers v Celtic, people might be interested. Not on a consistent basis nor for paid tickets, I would have thought.

This, mixture of low cost tickets and free ones to girls football teams and/or other affiliates clubs could see maybe 20000 at a push. Scotland v Jamiaca was like this.

Getting pissed off with the amount of Females taking over. The women’s game is still laughable, with their make up on to play a game of Football? Until women get decent Goalkeepers it will be poor and over hyped, in short No.

Boils my piss when you turn on tv to watch a game and they've got a women pundit on. Genuinely feel like launching the tv through the window lol.

If it's something the Club are interested in looking at, we should start with having reserve games at Ibrox again first, in order for fans to go and see up-and-coming players/players coming back from injury/fringe players etc.
Then slowly introduce the womens game.

It's not something l have any interest in but many would, particularly against that lot.

The main thing i'd be concerned about, however, is the impact it would have on the pitch after seeing the nick of it at the weekend.
I don't think the current pitch could stand up to more frequent matches.

Getting pissed off with the amount of Females taking over. The women’s game is still laughable, with their make up on to play a game of Football? Until women get decent Goalkeepers it will be poor and over hyped, in short No.
Isn't the poor goalkeepers down to the fact they're smaller than men but playing in men goals?

There's a big difference to having a 6 feet giant in goals and a 5'4 woman. Those extra 8 inches make a huge difference between saving and the ball being impossible reach.

We sold out the first “auld” old firm at Ibrox but maybe the novelty factor was there too.
Tickets would need to be cheap or family orientated

I see people saying if the tickets were free they might go, do you have to pay just now to see them? And I take it the woman’s team f fed eye paid if they are full time now?

It's a growing market, and one I have a bit more interest in with the move to professionalism, but I can't see it getting as big as that.

They'd be my third interest, after the first team and the Colts (who will always have the advantage that you're looking at potential first team players).

Don't want to talk them down though. Good luck to them. It would be brilliant to see them challenge Glasgow City.

The fact that you had to put a warning at the start of the thread about top swapping and tit jokes, tells you all you need to know about the women's game and how it is viewed.
I watched some of the women's world cup, highlight was VAR and the meltdowns it produced, couldn't tell you any of the players or the majority of the countries involved.
It's not fun to watch, mind you neither is our first team at the moment

Only way you could get full house is to put it on before the real old firm. Not sure what crowds they get now but they have no chance of getting 50 or 60k to watch it.

I wouldn't even watch it on TV if I had nothing on nevermind go to it.

Back