Could Bassey be a centre half?

He'd possibly be ok in a back 3. His ability to cover wider left would suit him as he could cover the space behind the wingback and he'd have the security of the other 2 defenders with him.

He was excellent last night. His pace is a huge attribute and something we lack in that area. He won his aerial duels and closed down / tackled aggressively. I think this is worth considering.

He's probably a better full back prospect than Nathan for me and that's saying something.

That's his position, not central defence.

He did well last night, but he is far more comfortable bombing down the flanks and running the legs off the likes of Stephen O'Donnell, as we witnessed a couple of weeks ago.

Better than Patterson, big statement. Not for me.

He’s an incredible athlete, but young Nathan looks to combine that with a seriously impressive level of game intelligence that is beyond Bassey in my view.

Better than Patterson, big statement. Not for me.

He’s an incredible athlete, but young Nathan looks to combine that with a seriously impressive level of game intelligence that is beyond Bassey in my view.

Certainly won't be falling out about it mate, both are outstanding prospects.

I do think Bassey is more defensively aware though.

Both are going to be absolute diamonds for us in the coming seasons.

As @Clay Davis and @mkgers said as a left CB of a 3 he could learn his position, and maybe be the “Chris Wilder” style attacking CB?
Either way the boy is growing up fast with us, and will be a big asset to this team. His improvement this season alone says he has a very bright future. I would prefer him to Borna at the moment at left back, but if he displays that kind of attitude as CB then he is in until Fil gets fit again,imo.

Big man having a wee dig at someone perhaps? B-D

CA9BReS.jpg

Reactions: SSR
Watching the Greegs double save and Bassey is totally lost for the second header. Throughout the game, he covered for Barasic extremely well last night but he is a full back. Says a lot about Simpson, which we already know.

He’s proving do be a good back up in there but he looks way more comfortable at left back!

But when we have Goldson, Helander & Balogun to choose from he shouldn’t really be in the team as a centre back.

Realise it's only half way through one game but given our current centre half situation can you see Calvin being converted and moving inside over the long term? He's got age on his side, the physical attributes and would just need the mental ones.
I think he could certainly work in a back 3 where he is able to go out and be a bit more aggressive

He’s young so is still developing - if he can sort out his defensive positioning (Helander is the master of that and could help him a lot) and learn to head the ball - with his physical solidity and pace he could become a superb CB

Probably get slated for this but here it goes :D

When teams camp in like Livi on Sunday
i think having him in there is a huge benefit.

We won't be under much pressure and he can take the ball a run no problem a bit like Bougherra and create a bit of panic and if Borna isn't getting any joy the big man could swap to Lb for a few attacks and Borna stay back.

Leon Balogun done quite well as a right back agains C@ltic in August. I wouldn’t want him there all the time, in the same way as Joe Aribo did Left back quite well in one of the later games last season. Calvin Bassey did very well in in what was an emergency, but I think he’s a better at left back.

We'd never play it but he might suit the left side of 3 centre backs in a back 5.

A little less defensive responsibility and lets him get forward but not as far or as often as Borna who would be relied on for crossing. As I said it's a complete waste for us playing that defensively domestically, plus we barely any centre backs as it is

He will probably need to play there again on Sunday. Will see how he gets on against hammer throwers but for me he is not a centre half.

Watching the Greegs double save and Bassey is totally lost for the second header. Throughout the game, he covered for Barasic extremely well last night but he is a full back. Says a lot about Simpson, which we already know.
That could still ring true but he was left out of the Euro squad by the previous management team.

Fair point, I had forgotten that.
To be fair I am leaning to agree with you BUT still don't think we have seen enough of Simpson or him with a run of games etc. The signs are not good for him but who know, new coaching team etc.

He's a handy player to have because he can fill in at numerous positions but I certainly don't see him as a long term centre half option.

Probably get slated for this but here it goes :D

When teams camp in like Livi on Sunday
i think having him in there is a huge benefit.

We won't be under much pressure and he can take the ball a run no problem a bit like Bougherra and create a bit of panic and if Borna isn't getting any joy the big man could swap to Lb for a few attacks and Borna stay back.
Don’t think there’s anything to slate you for there, CBs who can bring the ball forward help massively against a parked bus

To paraphrase one of Sir David of Weir's (generally positive) comments last night , you can tell he's no centre half.

The lad did a great job but he'd need a full CH apprenticeship before he could be considered anything more than a stopgap in that position.

Not for me as a CB, don’t feel he has the positional discipline or awareness to play that position.

He is a solid all action LB but not a CB (in my opinion)

I am not a lover of players covering multiple positions, much rather they built their game on a particular position.

It’s like playing Nathan as a RM, not for me. He’s an all action forward thinking RB.

Hate the trying to shoehorn players in to a team just to get them in, strongest player in the position plays and the other player needs to work like feck to push them out

In time, he might be excellent. He's still only 21 - 22 next month - so has huge scope for development. I loved his overlapping last night. We had him, Borna, Kent and Kamara overloading that flank at times. Great to see.

Played well last night but Sparta didn’t put many high balls into the box. His weakness is definitely heading. I would think about putting Simpson in on Sunday against Livi as they will be lumping balls into the box.

He was starting to give a respected international the fear. I'd prefer to see him and Patterson now become our 1st choice fullbacks tbh rather than tinker with his development.

Realise it's only half way through one game but given our current centre half situation can you see Calvin being converted and moving inside over the long term? He's got age on his side, the physical attributes and would just need the mental ones.
He was a centre half for Leicester.

Haven't seen enough of the kid to say, but if he can't read what's going on in front of him to position himself then it's a no for me.

All great CH's have positional awareness this covers up say a lack of pace Weir, Hellander for example.

Good luck to him he's going to be a good player for us, as he's physically got all the attributes.

Why move him when he looks like an absolute Cyborg at LB?

We're going to need a new 1st choice LB soon, some would argue we do now, and he seems ready to rumble. His enthusiasm on the pitch and the way he talks about just wanting to get out and play are really refreshing and maybe just the sort of burst we need in a position thats often looking slow and laboured now.

As for CB, for all his speed and power he doesnt seem a great header of the ball and his reading of the game needs a lot of improvement.

At this stage I'd prefer playing the likes of Leon King or other academy graduate players ahead of Bassey at CB. Although Goldson and to a lesser extent McGregor will get blame for the goal conceded, Bassey completely lost Anderson the scorer today.

There was an article in the Athletic about it other day, his old youth coach used to ask him to play there in a back 3 and he would moan like buggery. So no. He hates playing there

Back