Could Bassey be a centre half?

Did you see the goal we conceded today?

Not 100% his fault, but Helander or a proper CB would have been much more likely to be aware of Anderson running in to the rebound from McGregor's save and put him under pressure.
Agree! You could have a world class full back at centre back with the same outcome,natural centre halfs smell these things

Unsure about a cb but he could play the cdm role dropping between defenders with his pace and power. He's impressed me as the wee fella

I like Bassey, but as a CB he needs more games and coaching. He allowed the wee guy to score Livi’s goal and should have anticipated it better, the way Goldson put off Forest right on half time. There’s the difference.

For the foreseeable future, I see him only as a stand-in CB when we are short. But he's a good player to have in the squad as he could easily be first pick for LB.

Two good games in a row but still not convinced he is a CB , has the right attitude to give it a real go though.

Last edited:
It would seem he could be but with the proviso of an experienced calm head alongside, who can talk him through games and point out the subtleties and guile needed in the position. He has the physical attributes just needs to learn the mental side of the game in central defence. At Rangers it's not just about being able to win it in the air constantly, giving strikers a dull one or putting it into row z. We need ballplayers given the amount of possession we tend to get and the positional sense that goes along with that ability, think Moore not Balde.

I'd be cashing out on Barasic, Goldson & Morelos in January.

Bassey goes to first pick LB, Bring back Katic get Helander fit and buy a proper CB (Souttar?). Along with Balogun we should be covered.

I'd also have another look at Itten. Might also have a look at somebody like Boyle.

Bassey goes to first pick LB, Bring back Katic get Helander fit and buy a proper CB (Souttar?). Along with Balogun we should be covered.

I'd also have another look at Itten. Might also have a look at somebody like Boyle.
With those squad changes. We become weaker. That’s not the right thing to do

For a start he needs to be better at heading... or the second ball from a flik on is gonny be a problem..

With those squad changes. We become weaker. That’s not the right thing to do
Taking Goldson & Morelos out the squad would not weaken us IMO. I ask myself what they are contributing at the moment. Barasic hasn't been a whole lot better and he is probably a better bet for some transfer value.

Glodson is away anyyway at the end of season at latest. Alfie's value is deteriorating game on game. At one time we could have expected £20M+. I reckon <£10m now.

no way should we sell the three mentioned
would weaken our first eleven
we bring in a centre half in January
plenty of excellent centre half s in Holland contract s up in summer
small fee in January would hopefully get one
will Phil be fit come January ?
would agree to bring katic back

no way should we sell the three mentioned
would weaken our first eleven
we bring in a centre half in January
plenty of excellent centre half s in Holland contract s up in summer
small fee in January would hopefully get one
will Phil be fit come January ?
would agree to bring katic back
See #115 and his name is Filip.:) His fitness is problematic. I agree.

Taking Goldson & Morelos out the squad would not weaken us IMO. I ask myself what they are contributing at the moment. Barasic hasn't been a whole lot better and he is probably a better bet for some transfer value.

Glodson is away anyyway at the end of season at latest. Alfie's value is deteriorating game on game. At one time we could have expected £20M+. I reckon <£10m now.
Morelos is better than Boyle
Alfredo contributed a lot on Thursday and will till end of season
we don't really know what Goldson will do
he might still sign extension
Barasic has started to play better and played really well today especially crosses
he is far better left back than Bassey
Thats just my opinion

Get rid of Goldson and bring back Katic and bring Souttar!

mega lolz!

Katic is playing shite over in Croatia, getting booed off the fans and Souttar is fodder and certainly does not improve us.

No OP, absolutely not. He is fine in a pinch but he is a LWB, you can see how uncomfortable he is at centre half, tries his best obviously but we absolutely need a proper centre half as our number 1 priority in January

I think he could develop into a brilliant centre half especially with our high line we need fast/ dynamic & strong CH’s especially in 1 v 1 situations.

He obviously needs games & time to develop his positional shape & awareness & his timing of heading/ jumping will improve as he gets older.

I’m happy for young Bassey to stay in the team for the next few games @ CH.

Morelos is better than Boyle
Alfredo contributed a lot on Thursday and will till end of season
we don't really know what Goldson will do
he might still sign extension
Barasic has started to play better and played really well today especially crosses
he is far better left back than Bassey
Thats just my opinion
Well it's all about opinions isn't it. I agree with a lot you say but Thursday for Alfie is one game amongst a string of poor form. Alfie at his best is a lot better than Boyle but he needs to start showing it.

Tbh I hope that Goldson doesn't extend his contract. He has downed tools and that doesn't sit well.

A proper cb souttar cmon please

Realise it's only half way through one game but given our current centre half situation can you see Calvin being converted and moving inside over the long term? He's got age on his side, the physical attributes and would just need the mental ones.
Hes decent cover at cb but i think we will strengthen in the cb positions on January. I prefer bassey at LB hes a steam train up and down the flank

Back