Could Bassey be a centre half?

Camy

Realise it's only half way through one game but given our current centre half situation can you see Calvin being converted and moving inside over the long term? He's got age on his side, the physical attributes and would just need the mental ones.

He’s played well but a bit of a bombscare in his previous outing - which is to be expected when laying out of position

He needs to learn to header the ball before it can even be considered. If he does, f*ck me, he will be a colossus.
That was more my point, fully realise he has been poor there previously - more imagining what he could be like if he did work on the headers, positioning, etc.

Could be a monster CH at 28 for example.

Nope, think I can count on one hand how many headers he has won, maybe if the ban heading from the sport it’s a possibility

Balogun was his partner the first time.
You can't underestimate the influence of Goldson who by all accounts is a big talker and Marshalls the defence.
Until he learns the position he would certainly need a player like Goldson or Davie Weir :pbeside him.

Could maybe be coached into that role but at present he’s not a strong header of the ball. Often looks as though he fails to read the flight of the ball.

He was superb tonight, best I've seen him at centre back. However I still prefer him at left back bombing forward.

Don't think he's got the positional awareness or good enough in the air to be a commanding centre back although he is only 21. Big future for us.

I don't think so but playing there will do wonders for his defensive understanding with a proper left sided centre half playing inside. He's an absolute unit and got all the attributes and no shortage of effort or desire.

First choice left back when Helander or Balogun return. He'll do for me.

What an absolute unit this boy is wow he covers every blade was physical but also his positioning was very good

Obviously the question marks over dealing with long balls still remain

Personally think he's got all the attributes to be coached into a more than decent centre half but defenitley think once we have a settled centre half pairing again he's more than staked his claim now to be 1st choice left back boy is a machine and can only get better!

Realise it's only half way through one game but given our current centre half situation can you see Calvin being converted and moving inside over the long term? He's got age on his side, the physical attributes and would just need the mental ones.
Bassey was a CH, we converted him to LB!

To much energy. Has no positional discipline but that can be taught.

If Gio can harness that energy and talent then he is one hell of an asset.

He needs to learn to header the ball before it can even be considered. If he does, f*ck me, he will be a colossus.
I was watching or listening to a German podcast on the bundesliga and they were touching on the evolution of the game their and how more managers are looking at Wing Backs with certain attributes to play centre half as the way forward or the new tikki takka.

If I remember correctly there were specific attributes needed, power, pace, composure, awareness and lots of energy.

So knows maybe it is the way we will go

Big man was outstanding from the first whistle tonight, think he'll have made a good first impression on Gio

Right now, probably not. But he could grow into it definitely. He had a great game tonight, well done young fella.

He was immense tonight. He has all the attributes to pretty much play anywhere.

At one point I was expecting him to whip a ball in and be on the red of it

To much energy. Has no positional discipline but that can be taught.

If Gio can harness that energy and talent then he is one hell of an asset.
Hopefully can be coached but his positioning is poor. He had a great game tonight. Worked really hard but he was up the left wing at one point. 10/10 for effort.

Reactions: GF7
I’m very skeptical of Bassey at CH but he was superb tonight. He’s earned himself a chance in the team.

He can play that position but obviously not his best one.

With the teamwork tonight, we could have put big Mohsni back there and been ok.

Not for me no. He is a good powerful and fast attacking full back though, I’m pleased to see him develop with us.

Would rather he took Borna’s place at LB as he needs a spell out of the team but Bassey was a rock tonight.

He can play that position but obviously not his best one.

With the teamwork tonight, we could have put big Mohsni back there and been ok.
That for me was the biggest difference tonight. Defended from the front, takes the pressure off of the back 4 and always on the front foot

Based on previous performances you would say no outright - however, in a Euro game tonight he was fucking excellent so why not? With the right training he could be a very good centre back. When he came to us he wasn't the best at going forward and whipping the ball in and he learned that quick enough so why not learn the other traits required to be a centre back?

That said. I think he's excellent as a left back and I would rather see him focus there.

Was nervous about this before the match, but thought he was amongst our best players last night. Wholehearted display.

Reactions: TQ3
He should be the no1 left back, his qualities are suited out there, plus he’s not great in the air which won’t work in our league for a centre back. For a big man he’s got some great touches about him.

He will be inconsistent in the position, given he's young and hardly played there.

Loses a lot of aerial challenges, but has strength and speed as big assets. Also naturally left sided, which is good.

I'd certainly play him there before Simpson, but he would be a big risk in our run of tough fixtures coming up.

up until last night i thought he had potential there but was struggling to get a performance
but he was terrific last night, one switch off letting a forward skip past him aside, he was a solid rock at the back
usually his heading is suspect but he was on the ball with that too

delighted for the lad

He's probably a better full back prospect than Nathan for me and that's saying something.

That's his position, not central defence.

He did well last night, but he is far more comfortable bombing down the flanks and running the legs off the likes of Stephen O'Donnell, as we witnessed a couple of weeks ago.

Good emergency cover in there but not as a long-term solution. He was excellent last night but they got in near the end because he got too eager to press them out the box and the attacker slipped in behind him.

Played well last night but I’d keep him at fullback. Seemed to be chasing the ball or man at times and ended up in strange positions for the left sided centre half

Back