Could FIFA change the World Cup to a November event. ?

muttley

Could this be the first of future World Cups being held at this time of year. ? Or will it be a one-off, no doubt due to the massive bribery involved by Qatar. ?

Can't see it, what would be the need (assuming the brown envelopes don't see it in a roasting desert country again).

You never know. Remember all the complaints about it being too hot in Mexico, Spain, Japan, etc in the past when held in summer (and even during the Womans Euro's 2022). Perhaps Winter is a better time to have it.

No.

UEFA now wields more power than FIFA.

Not a chance UEFA, it's member associations and member clubs will allow FIFA to get away with holding another autumn/winter World Cup, especially when this one only happened because of corruption.

If they try and pull a stunt like this again, UEFA should make clear that their member associations will boycott any World Cup finals held at this time of year.

I think it will all depend on the general feeling if this WC is deemed a success after it has finished. This will determine if a Middle East / African nation (any countries that are guarenteed 40+ degs in Summer) will host another one in the next 20 years.

To answer the OP question .. IMO The WC will stay as a summer event every 4 years with the odd exception every now and then to enable extreme climate nations to host it - Which is a bit of a mockery as some USA or Mexico venues in 2026 will be 40+

Did the winter World Cup not require international calendars to be majorly altered in the seasons before and after? As well as domestic calendars too?

Can see it going to Saudi at some point

I think most commonly we will see a summer World Cup but possibly the odd one in winter.

For the Southern Hemispheres host it’d be better for them playing it in their summer.

I actually reckon with FIFA pushing for more World Cup’s they’ll compromise with qualifying tournaments in a range of host cities. Say goodbye to international breaks throughout the season and just have one, make it more international rather than just UEFA club’s qualifying against each other. Scotland vs. Brazil in a qualifier in Tokyo for example, followed by England playing Japan in Italy, back to back games every day over different time zones to qualify for the main tournament.

I was against it but in all honesty I think its been better. Players are not burned out at this stage of the season as many players are by the time June or July comes round, plus we've had no real struggles against the heat - which lets face it happens in most world cups.

It's a purely football and tactics test without conditions being an issue and with many of the players being at the top of their game.

I've also enjoyed watching the games as much in November as I normally would in June.

Could this be the first of future World Cups being held at this time of year. ? Or will it be a one-off, no doubt due to the massive bribery involved by Qatar. ?
If enough money is dropped into the right pockets we will have tournaments whenever and wherever FIFA and their corrupt committee wants

If enough money is dropped into the right pockets we will have tournaments whenever and wherever FIFA and their corrupt committee wants
This also applies to Uefa. I reckon we’ll see a champions league final played in USA, Middle East or Far East soon enough which is utterly grim

I would be all for it as a football fan. I think it has contributed to what has been a fairly exciting world cup.

UEFA wont, Sky wont, sponsors wont, clubs wont so guess Im out voted :D

1930 and 1966 were both held 100% in July.

Might surprise a few people the dates it’s been in certain nations. Didn’t remember the 94 one ending on July 17th or 2002 starting May 31st.

Just keep it in Qatar around the same dates as this one as there have been some big shocks, some great games and also no drunken shenanigans with the fans.

:cool::cool::cool:

I think most commonly we will see a summer World Cup but possibly the odd one in winter.

For the Southern Hemispheres host it’d be better for them playing it in their summer.

I actually reckon with FIFA pushing for more World Cup’s they’ll compromise with qualifying tournaments in a range of host cities. Say goodbye to international breaks throughout the season and just have one, make it more international rather than just UEFA club’s qualifying against each other. Scotland vs. Brazil in a qualifier in Tokyo for example, followed by England playing Japan in Italy, back to back games every day over different time zones to qualify for the main tournament.
Ludicrous idea. How are normal Scotland and Brazil fans supposed to afford going to Tokyo.
Estonia v Hungary in New York?

Ludicrous idea. How are normal Scotland and Brazil fans supposed to afford going to Tokyo.
Estonia v Hungary in New York?
Oh I agree but you’re forgetting FIFA don’t care about fans, if they can’t get a World Cup in somewhere like Saudi you know they’ll try hard to get big international stars there.

Fine by me. Would give Scotland a better chance.

Martindale will be manager by then so his experience of stuffing teams on a snow covered plastic pitch will be invaluable.
We’d need to use plastic pitches or, at least for them to be on stand by.

I must admit it has been good having a world cup in the bleak winter months when there is not much to do, ive enjoyed it so far, definitely not been terrible like people predicted.
Never thought I would say this, but I have been glad of the break from watching Rangers.
I have enjoyed getting in from work and having 2 games to watch as well.

The full football calendar needs revamped and I can see world cups being held in august - October months going forward.

I think we all agree football in Scotland being played beyond January 02cnd up to end of February is pretty brutal. You could easily start the season in March and finish it in September as could most leagues, the champions league would kick off at the same time but played through so that the final was in august.

There’s no harm in looking at change as long as it’s for the right reasons and not brown envelopes

Why would they do that? I mean seriously what advantage would there be? Nearly every country hosting will want to do it in the summer anyway.

Could we see domestic seasons move to Feb - Nov?

People already drone on about calendar year records
Tbh I'd prefer football to go that way. Not traditional but considering the weather here and in most northern European countries, it would makes sense for fans and the pitches to move to that calander.

I'll also admit having it in winter, has made me watch more games. No choice between a day in sunny weather or Qatar vs Senegal.

Never thought I would say this, but I have been glad of the break from watching Rangers.
I have enjoyed getting in from work and having 2 games to watch as well.
So have I but only because watching us has become such a chore. So this has been a welcome change as far as I’m concerned. I can watch a bunch of games without caring much about the outcome. Beats being miserable after watching us piss points away.

FIFA have 211 member associations each of whom have a vote on where future World Cup finals will be held. UEFA have 55 member associations of those 211. So Europe has only about 25% of votes.

This is the summer for the Southern Hemisphere and a lot of associations are located there and in the tropics, where there tends to be less variation in daylight hours and as long as the extreme temperatures for their midsummer are avoided could be future candidates.

Europe has a population of approximately 3/4 billion which is only 10% of the World population. Sponsors, as we know from out CL TV share are interested in numbers to who they can reach with their adverts. Consequently a tournament in say China would be very acceptable to sponsors/advertisers.

If there are other nations keen to stage future tournament, and the next one being spread over half a continent with Canada, USA and Canada, opens the door to other multiples, I can see perhaps only very fourth finals being staged in Europe. Europe, to my mind, has displayed an arrogance about Qatar that is likely to work against it for the future. Reposts from those who have attended seem to be pretty much universally complimentary about the organisation and tournament generally with not a lager lout in sight.

So yes another (our) winter, Southern Hemisphere summer tournament is, I believe, highly likely.

I hope not. I know I’m probably alone in this but i get no joy out of international football and can’t wait for the Rangers back

Back