Could HIbs or Hearts challenge for the title this season. ?

I'd laugh like f.uck if Hibs finished above that lot, but obviously second to us.

Unlikely, although they do both look like they will win consistently against the bottom 6 teams.

Not a chance. They'll do what the others teams outside the Old Firm do and feel their arse collapse when the pressure gets to much.

Only us and Celtic have the mentality to win the title.

Currently they are but it will be difficult for both to maintain a challenge for the entire season.

Rangers, Hearts and Hivs would be a nice 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

This is purely hypothetical as I’m certain we will improve and quite quickly, but if we continued performing more or less as we are just now and Hearts/Hibs/etc still couldn’t mount a challenge, they’d be as well giving it up. I understand that the gulf in finances is wild but it’s crazy that we’ve not really had anybody out with the big 2 even threaten a title challenge in almost 30 years. Even in the bigger leagues there have been smaller teams winning the title in that time.

I would welcome a third or fourth force in Scottish football. It would be brilliant if there were 3 or 4 teams still with a chance of winning the league going in to the split ( as long as we win) .

If the dud at the piggery keeps up his pep tribute act hibs could very well end up second. As for winning it there is absolutely no chance.

Aberdeen had the best chance imo ...

And look what happened ..

Would be amazing if hertz took second spot after being newly promoted .wot a story that would be

It's very difficult, largely due to the fact that they have to play us and them four times per season each.

Take Hibs. By the time the season's out, they'll have played 8 out of their 38 matches against us and the scum. That's potentially two trips to Ibrox and two trips to the Piggery.

Given the financial advantage us and the scum have over Hibs, it's very difficult for them to finish above us having played against us so many times.

If it was a simpler format - everyone plays each other once at home and once away - then they'd stand a much better chance.

People talk about Leicester, but they won the EPL which operates under the above format. If they had had to make multiple visits to places like Anfield, Stamford Bridge and the Etihad that season, they would have eventually dropped too many points and their title challenge would have ended.

Celtic are an absolute basket case right now. Hibs won't win the title, but they really should be aiming for 2nd place. Celtic have no divine right to finish in the top 2.

Personally I would love to see Hibs or Hearts finish 2nd and reach the CL group stage. Highly unlikely I know, but it would be interesting to see what the knock on effect of a non-Old Firm side getting CL cash would be.
Good post and would love to see the EPL format for the top filght in Scotland.

I would welcome a third or fourth force in Scottish football. It would be brilliant if there were 3 or 4 teams still with a chance of winning the league going in to the split ( as long as we win) .
The difference between us and them is we would welcome this as it would only to make us better.
We welcome the chase ,its healthy for us. .

They shat the bed when we were in the lower leagues to show any real aspiration to becoming"great" again, so now we are in the ascendency again no.

Be fantastic if they could get second!

I have to admit it would be a jump in the Scottish football dynamic if say hearts (%^*& hibs) won the league this season, with the approx 40m windfall.

The fact both Edinburgh teams are up there could give each of their players massive motivation to prove they are the best in the city and stay ahead of the other.

October is going to be a very interesting month

Its early days, yet but a hypothetical to ponder. If any of them actually won the League, they would automatically gain almost £ 30 million CL money. ? Yes, its a boring Monday night. lol
No. They'll both end up somewhere in the top 6 but miles behind us.

No. Its been 36 years since a club outwith us and them won the title and i can see that lasting another 36 years.

The most points a team has won outside of Rangers and Celtic since a 12 team league was introduced was Aberdeen in 16/17 with 76 points.

Celtic won the league with 79 points in 12/13 without ever needing to be arsed trying.

I don't see it myself.

With the CL money available it makes sense that this would be THE year for any club with ambition to make their run at a title. However, in reality, I just don't think anyone has the depth of squad outwith us and the other mob. Once suspensions and injuries begin to accrue they'll begin to flounder.

And yet still nothing outside the OF qualified for Euro group stages. And its not as if they encountered any giants.
Yeah but domestically im talking.

We have to focus ion Sparta just now Hibs have time to prepare for and focus on The Rangers!

Nah. This happens every season just about. A team/couple of teams make a good start then injuries, fitness, suspensions all catch up with them and thus ends the good run of form.

Hearts are actually building a decent wee side, could be doing with a goal scorer and I’d possibly fancy them to pip Celtic to 2nd

For your more glass half empty bears, your @DoubleWhopper @Spartan @Alex Venters etc

Genuine question, if it was complete role reversal and we were in Celtic's place right now with the same issues: lack of squad depth, lack of players who've been over the course successfully, horrendous defensive issues, a "novice" manager in European/Scottish terms etc etc, would you be worried about Rangers ability to ensure 2nd at least?

I made a bet with my step-son, in the late 1990s, that a team other than Rangers or Celtic would win the league within five years.

My rationale was that other teams had always won the league every now and then, and we were overdue that happening. Other teams won the league in the 50s and 60s; not in the 70s; other teams won the league in the early 80s; I reckoned by the end of the 90s it was likely to happen again.

I was wrong.

Two decades later it looks even less likely. Jack Ross and Robbie Neilson are no Alex Ferguson or Jim McLean. Unless something dramatic changes, I seriously question whether any other team will win the league in my lifetime.

So my answer to the question in the OP is a clear and emphatic no.

Can’t see it tbh. Celtic as bad a they are at the moment do have a few injuries. Once they have a few back they will have more depth than both Edinburgh clubs. Although this looks to be the most fragile celtic team in years.

On their day both Hearts and Hivs can give you many issues in games but it’s squad depth that gets titles over the line. This season we have by far the most depth in league, albeit we have had a slow start.

Edinburgh FC
Aberdundee Utd
Rest of the diddy clubs amalgam

I ran out of ideas after 2

But that would be Scottish footballs only chance of not being a duopoly most years
How many teams would that leave?

One of the problems with mergers is they reduces the number of competitors by trying to increase the quality of one or two. Would our league be that much better with a third contender? But more dross at the bottom?

A city like Edinburgh should be able to support at least two successful teams.

How many teams would that leave?

One of the problems with mergers is they reduces the number of competitors by trying to increase the quality of one or two. Would our league be that much better with a third contender? But more dross at the bottom?

A city like Edinburgh should be able to support at least two successful teams.
I nearly added to me post there that as a fan of any of these teams I would be 100% against this and quite rightly.

Say in 50 years times the old firm are shit and the Edinburgh and Dundee clubs were dominant and everyone said the Glasgow teams should merge for the good of the league, how would that go down

So I get it, its a non starter. Easy to propose these things when you follow the "big" teams or successful teams

And I take your points about quality. Question is then. Why can't Edinburgh manage even one decent side?

I nearly added to me post there that as a fan of any of these teams I would be 100% against this and quite rightly.

Say in 50 years times the old firm are shit and the Edinburgh and Dundee clubs were dominant and everyone said the Glasgow teams should merge for the good of the league, how would that go down

So I get it, its a non starter. Easy to propose these things when you follow the "big" teams or successful teams

And I take your points about quality. Question is then. Why can't Edinburgh manage even one decent side?
Decent mean regularly challenges for trophies, finishes closer to first etc

Why can't Edinburgh manage even one decent side?
A pet peeve of mine.

Sometimes people blame Rangers and Celtic, as though the duopoly is somehow their fault (like, they’re too good?!)

Sometimes they point the finger at the smaller clubs.

But why aren’t Hibs and Hearts better?

Edinburgh and the Lothians is a region quite similar to Merseyside: similar population base and demographics; similar competing sports of rugby (different codes), golf, and horse-racing. In the 1950s, Hearts and Hibs attracted similar crowds to Everton and Liverpool. And competed. Won things.

What’s changed since the 1950s?

A pet peeve of mine.

Sometimes people blame Rangers and Celtic, as though the duopoly is somehow their fault (like, they’re too good?!)

Sometimes they point the finger at the smaller clubs.

But why aren’t Hibs and Hearts better?

Edinburgh and the Lothians is a region quite similar to Merseyside: similar population base and demographics; similar competing sports of rugby (different codes), golf, and horse-racing. In the 1950s, Hearts and Hibs attracted similar crowds to Everton and Liverpool. And competed. Won things.

What’s changed since the 1950s?
Good question

I have no answers...

Really should be at least one Edinburgh team who are competitive some of the time though

Back