Could Leon (Simba) King be promoted to the first team?

sneddon38

Leon is highly rated and with Niko’s injury do you think he will get promoted to the first team.

I reckon you’ll see the boy on the bench this season. I know guys who reckon he’s a bigger talent than Gilmour so reckon Gerrard will be looking at him and Kai Kennedy to be pushing to get into that pool.

His contract is only until summer 2022 and it sounded as though it was a challenge to get him signed up. My guess would be that a, relatively quick, pathway has been mapped out for him. But, at aged 16, it is hard to see that being this coming season. I say all that without having seen him play right enough!

His contract is only until summer 2022 and it sounded as though it was a challenge to get him signed up. My guess would be that a, relatively quick, pathway has been mapped out for him. But, at aged 16, it is hard to see that being this coming season. I say all that without having seen him play right enough!

A player under 18 cannot sign a contract longer than 3 years according to most FAs. Two years probably suits all parties as he will then be 18.

If no youths step up we would be better closing it down. Getting a crocked has been or someone else's academy player is nothing short of scandless if that's the route we go down.

I wouldn't put any youngsters in the firing line this season.

The pressure will be immense this year.

I reckon you’ll see the boy on the bench this season. I know guys who reckon he’s a bigger talent than Gilmour so reckon Gerrard will be looking at him and Kai Kennedy to be pushing to get into that pool.
Kai Kennedy won’t be anywhere near it until he signs a new contract

Simba :eek: Absolutely no chance.

I expect we’ll bring in a Worral type loan signing, someone with decent experience but finds himself out of favour.

Had the injury happened to Edmundson we might have went with Mayo/Bassey as the 4th CB but Katic will need properly replaced given the amount of games he played last season.

Simba :eek: Absolutely no chance.

I expect we’ll bring in a Worral type loan signing, someone with decent experience but finds himself out of favour.

Had the injury happened to Edmundson we might have went with Mayo/Bassey as the 4th CB but Katic will need properly replaced given the amount of games he played last season.

I assume the hope will be Helander stays fitter this season and Edmunds on will be used more. I'm actually okay if we don't sign another CB. This is the perfect opportunity for Mayo or King to get some bench/game time until Katic is back.

But no, I don’t think he’ll be promoted to the first team. It’s not as black and white like that anyway. Stephen Kelly, Jamie Barjonas, Robby McCrorie aren’t “in the first team” but can play for the 1st team while being a youth team/academy player.

He may make the bench. If he’s physically ready as a CB, he may play against lower league opposition later in the season. Think Kai Kennedy last season

Don’t know what the point in having kids is if we aren’t promoting them, no sense having them Lion around

He's too young, if he has a couple of bad games it might knock his confidence and leave him Scarred.

Don’t know what the point in having kids is if we aren’t promoting them, no sense having them Lion around

He's a terrific prospect, but he's only 16 mate.

He's only recently became a regular in the reserves.

Plenty players look great prospects at 16, but don't continue to develop and progress at the same rate as others.

Let's see how he is in a couple of years and if he's developed into a 1st team player.

It will be Bassey who will more than likely become the 4th choice.

I see no evidence for this at all. He's a left back who has never played a single minute of senior football. I think we will look at a senior player on a short term deal.

I'd much prefer us to sign a genuine first team challenger like Van Der Hoorn on a free but I don't see that as likely.

Reactions: Gee
Him or Mayo should be the 4th choice centre back with Katic injured. Edmundson only played around 15 games despite one of our CH being out injured for months and the other dropped because of his form during that same time so it's not like either of these lads would be thrown in and asked to play 30 to 40 matches in their first season with the first team. King's a big lad for his age, introducing him slowly like this might be perfect for him. Last thing i want to see is us sign another McAuley or Senderos

I would be absolutely astonished if any of our youngsters played any more than 3/4 league games this season.

It’s just not Gerrard.

Plenty players look great prospects at 16, but don't continue to develop and progress at the same rate as others.

Let's see how he is in a couple of years and if he's developed into a 1st team player.

He was making a Lion joke . If King isn't in the first team reckoning before his contract is up he will go. We were close to losing him this time round. Kennedy too. He should be in the squad now.

I think next season will be Kings introduction to the squad. Agreed sixteen is too young for even the best centre backs.

Check the last sentence on my post again ;)

He was making a Lion joke . If King isn't in the first team reckoning before his contract is up he will go. We were close to losing him this time round. Kennedy too. He should be in the squad now.

I think next season will be Kings introduction to the squad. Agreed sixteen is too young for even the best centre backs.
All depends on the physical development of the boy. Look at DJ and. Aitken of them Christian Daily and Souter at Dundee U and Ajier are another examples as is Danny Wilson I haven’t seen the boy so don’t know

All depends on the physical development of the boy. Look at DJ and. Aitken of them Christian Daily and Souter at Dundee U and Ajier are another examples as is Danny Wilson I haven’t seen the boy so don’t know

I think only DJ was 16. Big difference s year can make. Kompany is the last really young top class centre back I remember. Its a position that usually demands experience.

I'm sure Liverpool played a 16 year old Dutch kid and he was absolutely slaughtered last season.

I think only DJ was 16. Big difference s year can make. Kompany is the last really young top class centre back I remember. Its a position that usually demands experience.

I'm sure Liverpool played a 16 year old Dutch kid and he was absolutely slaughtered last season.
nope Aitken Daily and Ajier were all regulars at 16

If he's as good as his agent seems to think he is, then he will be in the squad.

Absolutely no guarantees he will be though.

Plenty can happen with the development of footballers between 16 and 18.

99% aren't Derek Johnstone's Derek Parlane's, Barry Ferguson's, Ian Durrant's etc.

The vast majorities are more Kyle Huttons, Greg Wylde's etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stand corrected. Still, very rare. I'd be shocked if King kicked a ball this season unless we are 10 clear with 3 games to go.
I do agree with you these players were exceptions and basically freaks in that they were physically developed at a very young age. I think we will sign a 3 rd choice centre back of a good standard imo I don’t think Edmundson is good enough to play against them or in Europe

I do agree with you these players were exceptions and basically freaks in that they were physically developed at a very young age. I think we will sign a 3 rd choice centre back of a good standard imo I don’t think Edmundson is good enough to play against them or in Europe

Agreed re Edmundson. I'm far from convinced. I know loads of people think he's 'the fridge' and all that but he's suspect in his positioning and looks cumbersome to me. I'd be worried if Goldson or Helander picked up an injury and it was Edmundson for a prolonged period

Reactions: Gee
Back