Could some players be happy to see Gerrard go?

Not for me. I think he raised standards and looked after players and there was a shared approach culminating in last season.
Remember the dressing room after St Mirren for example. That was not a loathed boss.

What we are hopefully seeing is players not reverting to some stereotypes about being pampered and spoiled but being professional and earning their money and respecting the new managers approach and instructions.

Respecting the club and recognising that there is a job to do and a guy there to help them do it.
Last night wasn’t the greatest opposition but the approach from the players was a pleasant surprise after Sunday.

I can’t wait to see it continue this Sunday.
If it does, we’ll have a good May.

You can think of loads of players who may be happy to see a change in management.

Roofe, Hagi and Helander in particular are three players who Gerrard would regularly drop in massive games for various reasons.

Then you have Nathan Patterson who barely got a look in. Possibly even McGregor who was rotated with regularity.

A lot of other players like Katic and Itten may see it as an opportunity to revive their careers too.

Maybe it's just a case of hearing the same voice all the time bored them, was it not Ferguson at Man U that changed coaches taking the team under him as after a certain amount of time as he said players got sick of listening to them.
I'm sure Advocaat said the same as a manager.

I think with Morelos he was just reaping the benefits of playing as a proper striker again rather than the deep lying forward that the previous coaching team played him as laterly.
Agree completely. A CF should be in the box between the width of the two posts. That’s where you score the goals. Sometimes Alfie would have got the ball player it wide and when the ball went in the box he would still be 30 yards from goal

Anyone reckon this could be the case? Morelos for one seemed much more happy and lively last night. Goldson had arguably his best game of the season. Defoe looking a lot more involved in training might fancy his chances of getting back in the team.
Don't think Gerrard was disliked, in fact possibly the opposite was the issue, with familiarity breeding contempt, too many players just coasting and performances dropping because they knew they'd never be dropped, hopefully with a new manager at the helm with new ideas, new training regime and different tactics, then the performance levels get better and nobody takes their place for granted.

Not for me. I think he raised standards and looked after players and there was a shared approach culminating in last season.
Remember the dressing room after St Mirren for example. That was not a loathed boss.

What we are hopefully seeing is players not reverting to some stereotypes about being pampered and spoiled but being professional and earning their money and respecting the new managers approach and instructions.

Respecting the club and recognising that there is a job to do and a guy there to help them do it.
Last night wasn’t the greatest opposition but the approach from the players was a pleasant surprise after Sunday.

I get your point but for me maybe the boss doesn’t slide across the floor?

Loved seeing but I just can’t imagine some of our greats doing that

pretty standard in any dressing room some players will be happier than others to see a manager move on. I dont think there was a massive issue like celtic with lennon last season, I know theres a few rumours some people werent happy with him. I just think there was a general almost subconscious feeling coming from him that he'd done what he set out to do and was keen to move on. Wish he'd just done it in the summer but we've moved quickly to make a good appointment so its all about what happens now

You can think of loads of players who may be happy to see a change in management.

Roofe, Hagi and Helander in particular are three players who Gerrard would regularly drop in massive games for various reasons.

Then you have Nathan Patterson who barely got a look in. Possibly even McGregor who was rotated with regularity.

A lot of other players like Katic and Itten may see it as an opportunity to revive their careers too.

Barker too far??

There will be a few who will think they didn't get a fair crack of the whip under Gerrard.

Last edited:
The story I heard was that the Board and Gerrard had dinner after the Malmö exit and Gerrard was rinsed a bit for not achieving what was seen as a very achievable objective that was expected to be delivered. Gerrard didn’t take too well to the feedback and from that point relationships had cooled between him and the board.
So the rumours about many at Ibrox being happy to see him go and that the players sensed something lacking or dropping off this season seem likely true to some extent.

My gut feel is that Gio and this back room team will be an upgrade for us and with knowledge of cheaper markets to shop in that can only be beneficial.

That kind of sensible post will never catch on in here Ffs:)):))

The story I heard was that the Board and Gerrard had dinner after the Malmö exit and Gerrard was rinsed a bit for not achieving what was seen as a very achievable objective that was expected to be delivered. Gerrard didn’t take too well to the feedback and from that point relationships had cooled between him and the board.
So the rumours about many at Ibrox being happy to see him go and that the players sensed something lacking or dropping off this season seem likely true to some extent.

My gut feel is that Gio and this back room team will be an upgrade for us and with knowledge of cheaper markets to shop in that can only be beneficial.
Where did you hear that? Plenty people seem to have plenty knowledge from Gerrard barely turning up for training to his Mrs finding out he had been riding a wee Glasgow dirty.

Yet prior to fucking off to Villa nobody seemed to have heard a peep

Where did you hear that? Plenty people seem to have plenty knowledge from Gerrard barely turning up for training to his Mrs finding out he had been riding a wee Glasgow dirty.

Yet prior to fucking off to Villa nobody seemed to have heard a peep
From a lad who sits beside us in the main stand and has connections to a board member, He’s been right with a few things in the past and I have no reason to think he would say that and not believe it to be true. It’s not unusual for details to come out after a sudden exit, there’s what is said from a PR perspective and then there is the reality.

Maybe it's just a case of hearing the same voice all the time bored them, was it not Ferguson at Man U that changed coaches taking the team under him as after a certain amount of time as he said players got sick of listening to them.
I'm sure Advocaat said the same as a manager.
Exactly. A different manager plays a different tune. Some need it.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but after seeing gerrard prance around on the sidelines with villa last week as if he'd just won the champions league, it makes me cringe a bit when I think back to all his displays of "passion" when he was with us.

Gerrard is and will always be about Gerrard - im not remotely surprised at some of the well sourced rumours that have come out since he's gone, particularly those that come from people close to the staff at Ibrox.

And as others have suggested, there will always be an element of the workforce who think the boss is a dick. We needed change IMO, Gerrard should have gone in the summer.

Sounds like some of the board may have been happy to see Gerrard go. A fresh start with a new manager and a fair wedge in the bank.

Things had obviously gone a bit flat/stale under Gerrard, for whatever reason.

Last night was an encouraging sign that the players have responded well to Gio. Let's keep that going on Sunday, and see where we are in a month's time.

Heard a story at the weekend from a fairly good source.

Supposedly Gerrard wanted a specific player in the summer for £3m and the board said no. He wasn’t happy and told the board that he can’t take the team further without any investment.

Then Malmö happened and things weren’t great after that in terms of mood / atmosphere around the place. He was constantly back and forth to Liverpool and the players felt it was only a matter of time before he left at the first opportunity.

I’m not naive enough to believe every story and I’m in the camp of having appreciated the job he done and have no hard feelings towards him for leaving.

But I suspect with the numerous rumours / stories, some of it must be true that things weren’t all rosy - the performances kind of suggest so.

Supposedly Gerrard wanted a specific player in the summer for £3m and the board said no. He wasn’t happy and told the board that he can’t take the team further without any investment.

Then Malmö happened and things weren’t great after that in terms of mood / atmosphere around the place. He was constantly back and forth to Liverpool and the players felt it was only a matter of time before he left at the first opportunity.

I’m not naive enough to believe every story and I’m in the camp of having appreciated the job he done and have no hard feelings towards him for leaving.

But I suspect with the numerous rumours / stories, some of it must be true that things weren’t all rosy - the performances kind of suggest so.
Team reflect their managers and Gerrard has looked miserable for a long time now. Teams sense that.

Gio comes in with a positive vibe and we win 2-0, reflecting the manager.

Gio might actually save Gerrard's legacy with us, not that Stevie me will care though.

May or may not be true, however the poster Vidmar who defo appears to have a line into the club said he was pushing hard for Nisbet but the board stood firm and said no.

Malmo was an aberration, there are bad results and then there are bad results that have a ripple effect through the club for weeks, months and sometimes years. IMO, ultimately Gerrard has nobody to blame but himself for Malmo, he dropped Helander for the 2nd leg and made numerous other errors, in truth he was outclassed by JDT that night.

The evidence is on the pitch that something was clearly not right, no matter what you choose to believe.

Did these rumours about people not liking Gerrard come before or after he left like they always seem to after the fact, I certainly didnt see any before.

Anyone reckon this could be the case? Morelos for one seemed much more happy and lively last night. Goldson had arguably his best game of the season. Defoe looking a lot more involved in training might fancy his chances of getting back in the team.
Apparently SAF liked to change his coaches about every three years his thinking was he felt that after three years the coaching would start to get stale perhaps that's what's gone on at Rangers Gerrard probably needed to refresh his coaching staff there was no way he was ever going to replace Beale or Culshaw

I think Hagi and Morelos found it difficult under Gerrard, so I’m looking for both to flourish under Gio. However, looking at Borna’s performance last night made me think there may have been issue with him and Gerrard recently

Back