Could some players be happy to see Gerrard go?

Anyone reckon this could be the case? Morelos for one seemed much more happy and lively last night. Goldson had arguably his best game of the season. Defoe looking a lot more involved in training might fancy his chances of getting back in the team.
Yes

Gerrard must be happier to be in South London this afternoon than freezing his baws off beside that J&W Carpets “pitch” at Livingston tomorrow.

Gerrard must be happier to be in South London this afternoon than freezing his baws off beside that J&W Carpets “pitch” at Livingston tomorrow.
Mate I live in South London and I can tell you it’s three degrees outside windy as %^*& with periodic rain and a chance of light snow! Certainly no better than Scotland at the minute.

But I get your point, he’s 100% content finishing his duties by six tonight and home to the missus in a couple hours ready for a Sunday roast the next day. That’s the crux of why he left us.

I’ve no idea what was happening behind the scenes but his body language in some games was of a manager lost at sea. If that connects to any of the rumours then he was counting the days till he went to the EPL.

Doesn't have to be a direct clash between players and Gerrard, but if a manager has checked out or even slightly dropped a level of commitment, most of the time it's going to rub off on the players in some way.

With Gerrard I assume either he was actually spending more time away, or when he was there the players just got that vibe that he's lost interest. You start getting these half-arsed performances that we've seen this season. Good players like we have will still be capable of pulling out wins more often than not, but a "what's the fucking point?" attitude can easily start to emerge when the manager's head has gone, and sooner or later that leads to Hibs at Hampden.

You could look at a few examples of how it might have affected players in different ways. Some of Alfie's clumsy, disinterested performances. McGregor looking less vocal. Kamara just being off it. Most of Goldson's season so far. Borna seemingly stuck in a rut. These probably weren't all down to Gerrard, but almost certainly a factor. Hoping we'll see all get back to their best under Gio.

Surely the best way to demonstrate you're happy at getting shot of a gaffer you couldn’t be arsed with would be to shine like a diamond the first chance you get? So what happened at Hampden on Sunday precisely?

They were prepared for the match by, to all intents and purposes, amateurs?

The story I heard was that the Board and Gerrard had dinner after the Malmö exit and Gerrard was rinsed a bit for not achieving what was seen as a very achievable objective that was expected to be delivered. Gerrard didn’t take too well to the feedback and from that point relationships had cooled between him and the board.
So the rumours about many at Ibrox being happy to see him go and that the players sensed something lacking or dropping off this season seem likely true to some extent.

My gut feel is that Gio and this back room team will be an upgrade for us and with knowledge of cheaper markets to shop in that can only be beneficial.

To go out from the position we put ourselves in by halftime of the 2nd leg was nothing short of rank incompetence.

And I hope the board made him fully aware that was the case!

After 3.5 years its hard for the same faces, same tactics, same routines not to feel a bit stale. It might just be the case that things were getting a bit to familiar. It happens. Things need freshened up. Its just a fact of life. Ive no hard feelings toward Gerrard and the backroom staff. Timing not ideal but with hindsight it might justve been as good a time as any.

Agree completely. A CF should be in the box between the width of the two posts. That’s where you score the goals. Sometimes Alfie would have got the ball player it wide and when the ball went in the box he would still be 30 yards from goal

Happened far too often for me. When we first started using that tactic, it worked well, because the CH marking Alfie would follow him out of position leaving space.

After a while teams cottoned on and the defender would sag off him and drop back into position. The opposition then gained the advantage of an extra man in the box.

Heard a story at the weekend from a fairly good source.

Supposedly Gerrard wanted a specific player in the summer for £3m and the board said no. He wasn’t happy and told the board that he can’t take the team further without any investment.

Then Malmö happened and things weren’t great after that in terms of mood / atmosphere around the place. He was constantly back and forth to Liverpool and the players felt it was only a matter of time before he left at the first opportunity.

I’m not naive enough to believe every story and I’m in the camp of having appreciated the job he done and have no hard feelings towards him for leaving.

But I suspect with the numerous rumours / stories, some of it must be true that things weren’t all rosy - the performances kind of suggest so.
It's similar when you break up with a bird and she's now shagging someone else.
She's not the best thing ever anymore, suddenly all her bad points come out, when everyone thought it was perfect.
Must have been tough for Gerrard being away from his wife and kids so much in the last 18 months due to the pandemic. He was probably in a bubble a lot.
I don't blame him for getting down to see his family more often this season.
There's probably a little truth in the rumours but hey we have Gio now and we move on.

That press conference when he was asked about the poor performances and he jumped down the guys throat really irritated me.

Giving it “top of the league not good enough for you?”

No need at all and the reporter was just saying the same as the fans.
Can't be arsed with the arguing on here, and I appreciate he has made us so much better but I couldn't stand gerrard during his career cos I don't like Liverpool and some of his answers to our own were apalling at times.

I have absolutely no inside info but in my opinion not qualifying for the Champions League was the catalyst for Gerrard losing interest. Whether that was the boards fault for not investing prior to qualifying or the staff for not navigating the qualifiers successfully who knows. In my opinion he doesn't go to Villa if we are in the CL and had spent big on freshening up the squad.

Even if there were no major rifts it will do the players the world of good to get a new sense of perspective from a new coaching team. After a while you must grow weary of the same training and same instructions on the pitch.

I think Gerrard threw the toys out of the pram when he didn’t get the players he wanted in the summer. He lost motivation and focus which the players picked up on and standards dropped.

I‘m delighted we now have Gio and Gerrard is gone because he had taken us as far as he could

Heard a story at the weekend from a fairly good source.

Supposedly Gerrard wanted a specific player in the summer for £3m and the board said no. He wasn’t happy and told the board that he can’t take the team further without any investment.

Then Malmö happened and things weren’t great after that in terms of mood / atmosphere around the place. He was constantly back and forth to Liverpool and the players felt it was only a matter of time before he left at the first opportunity.

I’m not naive enough to believe every story and I’m in the camp of having appreciated the job he done and have no hard feelings towards him for leaving.

But I suspect with the numerous rumours / stories, some of it must be true that things weren’t all rosy - the performances kind of suggest so.
That story sounds much more plausible now, in hindsight, Del.
We’ve always known something wasn’t right.
Even my wife kept on saying, something seems off, and I’m more inclined to believe it was a gradual deterioration rather than a big issue.

While the results against Malmo were awful the results against Alaskert were a disgrace, that was when I started thinking there was something wrong. One goal in two games against them tells a story. Alaskert dropped to the Conference league and have played 5 and have ZERO points, that shows how bad they are

Me too.
I mean my boss. B-D

Auld construction tale.

All the parts in the body we're having a union meeting on who should be the gaffer?
The eyes thought they should be boss as they can see what's going on?
The nose thought the same as it could smell what is going on?
The legs protested that they get the body about?
The arms said the same, as they did all the lifting?
The kidneys,lungs and the heart all came away with the same sort of story?
And declared that they too should be gaffer?

So there they we're all arguing who should be gaffer, when the arseholes piped in,
Saying he should be gaffer?
The rest of the body parts all fell about laughing!

So the arseholes did what all arseholes do it went in a huff and shut down!

After a few days the eyes were flickering and blurred, the nose had no sense of smell, the legs went wobbly and started staggering about, the arms were heavy,
and couldn't lift any thing, the kidneys, lungs and heart were taking palpitations,

The hole of the body was a total wreck?

To this day that is why all arseholes are gaffers?

Last edited:
Probably like most work places, some got on with the boss and some didn’t, so yeah some will be happy to see him up.

Anyone reckon this could be the case? Morelos for one seemed much more happy and lively last night. Goldson had arguably his best game of the season. Defoe looking a lot more involved in training might fancy his chances of getting back in the team.
Why on earth do we still need this type of post?

Mate I live in South London and I can tell you it’s three degrees outside windy as %^*& with periodic rain and a chance of light snow! Certainly no better than Scotland at the minute.

But I get your point, he’s 100% content finishing his duties by six tonight and home to the missus in a couple hours ready for a Sunday roast the next day. That’s the crux of why he left us.
Totally. Three and a half years of working away from home takes it toll. He has a young family. For me this was the biggest part of the decision. Getting back to the EPL and with a decent club like Villa is ideal prep for his ultimate end game. No bitterness from me. He was exactly what we needed at that time. However, things were not happy in the set up so the change has happened at a good time. I could not give one toss about the league cup. Europa and league are all I care about. The cups will come but they do not contribute to us getting back to a stable footing.

I know it’s sad, but watched Gerard’s villa presser ahead of the Palace game.
Grinning at every question and mention of the EPL and his tussles with Viera etc
He’s loving every minute of being back down there.
I think he loved Rangers, but was over the tinpot SPL and our financial constraints.
I’m sure some players are happy he is gone, like any workplace and their boss
I’d more inclined to believe you if he hadn’t fed us the line about respecting our tradition and being here for the long run. Just a matter of weeks before leaving he told us he was committed to the cause

Team reflect their managers and Gerrard has looked miserable for a long time now. Teams sense that.

Gio comes in with a positive vibe and we win 2-0, reflecting the manager.

Gio might actually save Gerrard's legacy with us, not that Stevie me will care though.
Imho he’s forgotten about us, save for the next time he feels like adding us to a sound bite he needs to use for his own benefit!

He took the job at its least appealing and put his Managerial Rep on the line before it had even got started. That took big balls.

I dont think even the most annoyed of Bears could suggest Gerrard didnt take Rangers to heart and fight our corner with everything he had during his time here. He seemed to really enjoy the job in a way that you rarely see with a lot of Managers, loving the highs and taking the lows deep to heart.

Its equally fair to say Rangers were as good for him as he was for us, the perfect combo at just the right time and it bore incredible improvement very quickly - there is no way on this Earth it wouldve happened with anyone else.

The players, like Gerrard himself, seemed jaded and now, again like Gerrard, the change seems to have reinvigorated them.

Its magnificent to see Rangers all guns blazing again as it is to see Gerrard doing well at Villa.

Long may it continue for us all.

Wouldn't be a quirk of fate if both teams met in Europe at some point in the next 2-3 seasons

After 3.5 years its hard for the same faces, same tactics, same routines not to feel a bit stale. It might just be the case that things were getting a bit to familiar. It happens. Things need freshened up. Its just a fact of life. Ive no hard feelings toward Gerrard and the backroom staff. Timing not ideal but with hindsight it might justve been as good a time as any.
Nicely put, agreed.

Team reflect their managers and Gerrard has looked miserable for a long time now. Teams sense that.

Gio comes in with a positive vibe and we win 2-0, reflecting the manager.

Gio might actually save Gerrard's legacy with us, not that Stevie me will care though.
Good name......Stevie Me....like it

I'm glad he's gone, his ego was getting on my nerves to be honest.
This.

Too many talking about what Gerrard did for Rangers, let's remember what Rangers did for Gerrard. No other club would have given him the opportunity and the platform he had these last 3 years.

I'm sure there's players and staff glad to see the back of him, thats normal in any workplace.

We move on.

Imho he’s forgotten about us, save for the next time he feels like adding us to a sound bite he needs to use for his own benefit!
Yep totally.
For me it was always a case of what could Rangers do for Gerrard and his profile and not what could he do for Rangers.
Fortunately for us being successful boosted his profile.

Imo he was on autopilot this season, after the euphoria of 55 it all went a bit flat and Gerrard and the team were not at it, looking back now and the way the last few weeks have panned out it looks obvious a parting of the manager and his backroom staff is exactly what we required.

We definately have an upgraded management team now (although Mick Beale was top notch).

It was time to freshen things up, looking forward to the next chapter under Gio and his team, as for Gerrard, thanks for the background changes as we needed these upgrades to happen, thanks for 55 and that is about it.

This.

Too many talking about what Gerrard did for Rangers, let's remember what Rangers did for Gerrard. No other club would have given him the opportunity and the platform he had these last 3 years.

I'm sure there's players and staff glad to see the back of him, thats normal in any workplace.

We move on.

We definitely took a gamble giving Gerrard the job but we should never talk down the job he done for us.

We were an absolute embarrassment before he took over, finishing third regularly and getting knocked out of Europe by teams like Progres and he left us as champions, whilst top of the league and in the group stages of European competition for the 4th year running.

He took the job at its least appealing and put his Managerial Rep on the line before it had even got started. That took big balls.

I dont think even the most annoyed of Bears could suggest Gerrard didnt take Rangers to heart and fight our corner with everything he had during his time here. He seemed to really enjoy the job in a way that you rarely see with a lot of Managers, loving the highs and taking the lows deep to heart.

Its equally fair to say Rangers were as good for him as he was for us, the perfect combo at just the right time and it bore incredible improvement very quickly - there is no way on this Earth it wouldve happened with anyone else.

The players, like Gerrard himself, seemed jaded and now, again like Gerrard, the change seems to have reinvigorated them.

Its magnificent to see Rangers all guns blazing again as it is to see Gerrard doing well at Villa.

Long may it continue for us all.
Well put it was something that worked well for all parties.

I wish SG well and am very excited about the Gio era

The story I heard was that the Board and Gerrard had dinner after the Malmö exit and Gerrard was rinsed a bit for not achieving what was seen as a very achievable objective that was expected to be delivered. Gerrard didn’t take too well to the feedback and from that point relationships had cooled between him and the board.
So the rumours about many at Ibrox being happy to see him go and that the players sensed something lacking or dropping off this season seem likely true to some extent.

My gut feel is that Gio and this back room team will be an upgrade for us and with knowledge of cheaper markets to shop in that can only be beneficial.
Plausible.
Where are these cheaper markets?

Happened far too often for me. When we first started using that tactic, it worked well, because the CH marking Alfie would follow him out of position leaving space.

After a while teams cottoned on and the defender would sag off him and drop back into position. The opposition then gained the advantage of an extra man in the box.

How did we manage to win the league, going the entire season unbeaten and win our Europa League group, going unbeaten until the last 16 of the competition if teams cottoned on to our tactics last season?

As many have said, 5 guys don’t pack their bags and relocate their families overnight. This Villa move will have been an open secret in the dressing room for some time and that’s bound to have bred some resentment. Nobody likes being taken for mugs and that includes players and support.

I think a ridiculous loan offer of sorts was made. Made no sense to loan out Itten. I think we may well have offered a makeweight but Hibs would want money.

For what it’s worth I think Nisbet would score bucketloads in the team. If Itten is offloaded in the summer for a couple million, I’d be happy for that to go to Hibs for Nisbet.

You just know that Nisbet would otherwise end up at the paedos and score bucketloads.

Mate, with the money available down south now (and it's only increasing) they could get 5m quite easily for him from a top Championship side.

I like Nisbet a lot, and would like to sign him, but Hibs would want 6m+ from us and I wouldn't pay that.

Gerrard deciding to leave because he wasn't allowed to sign Regan Charles-Cook for 3 million quid might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on here.

As many have said, 5 guys don’t pack their bags and relocate their families overnight. This Villa move will have been an open secret in the dressing room for some time and that’s bound to have bred some resentment. Nobody likes being taken for mugs and that includes players and support.
Sadly because we are in the scottish league we will always be a stepping stone for managers, like gerrard gvb will be doing exactly the same in a couple of seasons as well, the only mystery will be which country he chooses, so let's just enjoy him while he's here.

Back