Could some players be happy to see Gerrard go?

The story I heard was that the Board and Gerrard had dinner after the Malmö exit and Gerrard was rinsed a bit for not achieving what was seen as a very achievable objective that was expected to be delivered. Gerrard didn’t take too well to the feedback and from that point relationships had cooled between him and the board.
So the rumours about many at Ibrox being happy to see him go and that the players sensed something lacking or dropping off this season seem likely true to some extent.

My gut feel is that Gio and this back room team will be an upgrade for us and with knowledge of cheaper markets to shop in that can only be beneficial.
This sound very plausible.
I believe the Malmo result was the turning point.
I remember in his doco he nearly left Liverpool for Chelsea because he felt he wasn't receiving enough love from the board (i.e. newer players were getting bigger contracts).

Agree completely. A CF should be in the box between the width of the two posts. That’s where you score the goals. Sometimes Alfie would have got the ball player it wide and when the ball went in the box he would still be 30 yards from goal
There have been times when I thought Alfie had been rotated with McGregor they had him so deep

May or may not be true, however the poster Vidmar who defo appears to have a line into the club said he was pushing hard for Nisbet but the board stood firm and said no.

Malmo was an aberration, there are bad results and then there are bad results that have a ripple effect through the club for weeks, months and sometimes years. IMO, ultimately Gerrard has nobody to blame but himself for Malmo, he dropped Helander for the 2nd leg and made numerous other errors, in truth he was outclassed by JDT that night.

The evidence is on the pitch that something was clearly not right, no matter what you choose to believe.

So Gerrard thought Nisbet was the signing we needed to take us forward? Hm glad he's away if there's any truth in that.

TBH Nisbet is a signing we should be making, He's a busy striker who causes us problems and he's Scottish so useful for Euro squads.
We can't handle him playing for Hivs so I don't want to face him playing for the tims.

Maybe the board thought "nah we aren't forking out £3 million for a guy who's going to be squad filler". Let's face it he isn't getting a game over Morelos or Roofe, and Sakala was already signed in the Summer to bolster our squad, so £3 million on another striker who isn't better than what we have is a total waste imo.

Maybe the board thought "nah we aren't forking out £3 million for a guy who's going to be squad filler". Let's face it he isn't getting a game over Morelos or Roofe, and Sakala was already signed in the Summer to bolster our squad, so £3 million on another striker who isn't better than what we have is a total waste imo.
given the form of Roofe and Morelos to date, certainly wasn’t a given Nisbet would have been a squad filler every week

You're right, the numbers don't add up, but we sent Itten out on loan and there was a rumour we were signing Nisbet so maybe he expected it to happen.
I reckon Nisbet would be a good signing, that's all I'm saying.

given the form of Roofe and Morelos to date, certainly wasn’t a given Nisbet would have been a squad filler every week

Well Nisbet's on 4 goals this season while Roofe & Morelos are both on 9. Even out of form I'd take those 2 over Nisbet any day. Whenever I've watched him for Scotland he's looked completely out of his depth at that level, based on that I don't think he'd make it at Rangers.

Heard a story at the weekend from a fairly good source.

Supposedly Gerrard wanted Regan Charles-Cook in the summer for £3m and the board said no. He wasn’t happy and told the board that he can’t take the team further without any investment.

Then Malmö happened and things weren’t great after that in terms of mood / atmosphere around the place. He was constantly back and forth to Liverpool and the players felt it was only a matter of time before he left at the first opportunity.

I’m not naive enough to believe every story and I’m in the camp of having appreciated the job he done and have no hard feelings towards him for leaving.

But I suspect with the numerous rumours / stories, some of it must be true that things weren’t all rosy - the performances kind of suggest so.

You're right, the numbers don't add up, but we sent Itten out on loan and there was a rumour we were signing Nisbet so maybe he expected it to happen.
I reckon Nisbet would be a good signing, that's all I'm saying.

I'd class Nisbet under worth a punt, but just not at £3 million with our current finances imo.

Presuming Nisbet is the player. On deadline day, in the morning a random poster I'd never seen before posted "Itten out, Nisbet in" when there hadn't been ths lightest hint of Itten leaving (was announced a couple of hours later).

Later that night another poster with a track record on here (might even have been more than one) said we were really pushing for Nisbet and it was a case of haggling over the fee etc.

Lot of mental gymnastics, but could all add up.

Surely the best way to demonstrate you're happy at getting shot of a gaffer you couldn’t be arsed with would be to shine like a diamond the first chance you get? So what happened at Hampden on Sunday precisely?
Our new manager didn,t start his job until Monday I belive. The players knew the management team for Sunday was only temporary.

Said this in morelos thread. If you want alfie to play this coming deep role, i think you could sign nesbit, or a few other players in the spfl to do that job.

If you want morelos playing further up, holding the ball up terrorising defenders, theres noone better in our league, noone comes close in my honest opinion.

That nisbet gave our defence a hard time, for me says that we need better defenders. He’s ok, will score goals in the spfl. I doubt he’d do much in europe as thats his level.

I actually think Itten is better. All about opinions though :)

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but after seeing gerrard prance around on the sidelines with villa last week as if he'd just won the champions league, it makes me cringe a bit when I think back to all his displays of "passion" when he was with us.

Gerrard is and will always be about Gerrard - im not remotely surprised at some of the well sourced rumours that have come out since he's gone, particularly those that come from people close to the staff at Ibrox.

And as others have suggested, there will always be an element of the workforce who think the boss is a dick. We needed change IMO, Gerrard should have gone in the summer.
To be honest mate I would say the majority would have disagreed with you at the time.but as ou say hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I wondered a few times if Gerrard was just a bit too intense for some of the players. He also spoke a lot about players finding solutions themselves and I think we got to a stage where the players couldn't see what the solution was and needed a bit more direction. He got frustrated at them not figuring it out, they got frustrated at not getting the direction they were looking for.

Just a guess on my part.

All just folk making up rumours really.

We will never know.

But watching the team it was clear it wasn't working on the pitch this season and it appeared neither Gerrard or his coaches could fix that problem. I still feel this team peaked last season.

We need Gio to get some bodies out the door in January if possible and introduce freshness to the squad.

Key part is just getting through this tough run of games coming up.

I'm happy now for a new approach. Yes I wouldn't have chosen to do it as we move into a tough run of fixtures. But that's football for ye

Most teams are a reflection of the manager in terms of style, attitude and approach. We had become stale and predictable. Our fitness doesn't appear to be as strong as last season hence the lack of concentration and sloppiness imo. We witnessed similar after the winter break a couple of seasons ago.
Gio is far more cultured and measured, he looks and sounds the part. Less hype,more grounded and circumspect.
55 was great, I shed many a tear and I will always appreciate Gerrard for this crucial title.
150 years of tradition, we remain Ready.
The King is dead, long live the King.

I get your point but for me maybe the boss doesn’t slide across the floor?

Loved seeing but I just can’t imagine some of our greats doing that

Sometimes managers get dehumanised by their employees so to see them let loose and have a bit of fun at the Christmas party (or title celebration party) helps people connect better with them and realise they are a normal person.

Sometimes it just comes down to a fresh face being needed to freshen up the approach. Especially in football where managers are there everyday dictating and micromanaging.

Anyone reckon this could be the case? Morelos for one seemed much more happy and lively last night. Goldson had arguably his best game of the season. Defoe looking a lot more involved in training might fancy his chances of getting back in the team.

They could yeah.

I'd be interested to hear what Mr Hagi snr has to say about the career progression of his son. He's been quite vocal with his opinion to this point.
Hopefully he sees the merit in staying with the club for the foreseeable, under the Dutch tutelage and perhaps Ajax philosophy of Vos, Gio and his staff.

Can’t think of him being quite vocal at all? I think he only mentioned once or twice?

Anyone reckon this could be the case? Morelos for one seemed much more happy and lively last night. Goldson had arguably his best game of the season. Defoe looking a lot more involved in training might fancy his chances of getting back in the team.
Happy probably not the right word, perhaps rejuvenated is more accurate.

3+ years of the same voice talking to them could easily become too samey and the lack of new players into the squad probably didnt help this past Summer.

Im sure for most of them theyre smart enough to realise what Gerrard has done for them both in terms of bringing them to Rangers and also developing them as players.

I dont mind signing scottish players and he has done well against Rangers, but its some amount of cash and Nisbet would have been left isolated like every striker we bring in anyway so im glad it never happened. Its tough to show what you can do in that system lets hope we never again suffer those tactics its incredible it went on so long.

Id agree that McGuire was probably telling the truth for once and the board were not upset he wanted to move to Villa, it was obvious we needed a new manager anyway and im not only saying that because it already looks as the club have made the right choice. Ofcourse some players will be happy to see a manager leave or simply prefer a change but the main reason is the end of the tactics or lack of, not that much of a surprise players were happy as GVB and SG play completely different types of football and you would guess that working with someone laid back and quite calm like Gio is probably a lot more enjoyable.

It will be interesting to see how many of these posts are printed as "exclusives" by our esteemed journalists (NOT) over the next few days.

After the dust has settled, I still think what Gerrard did was shithousery.However, that's water under the bridge and I'm happy to concede that he fulfilled the task Dave King gave him-55

I think a lot of our players were getting stale under Gerrard and that Gio and his team of winners will shine and it will rub off onto the existing players and those who come in.

Might be the new manager bounce, might be some are let off the leash. Doubt many are happy to see Gerrard go.

Gerrard actually left us in a far better place than when he arrived, some great European performances and the holy grail of winning 55 and stopping Terry Munro in the same season. The way he departed will leave a bit of a sour taste and his cup record was pretty dismal, but overall the pluses outweigh the minuses. Any manager has a shelf life and his was up, I'm sure some of the players thought that as well.

Supposedly Gerrard wanted Regan Charles-Cook in the summer for £3m and the board said no. He wasn’t happy and told the board that he can’t take the team further without any investment.

Then Malmö happened and things weren’t great after that in terms of mood / atmosphere around the place. He was constantly back and forth to Liverpool and the players felt it was only a matter of time before he left at the first opportunity.

I’m not naive enough to believe every story and I’m in the camp of having appreciated the job he done and have no hard feelings towards him for leaving.

But I suspect with the numerous rumours / stories, some of it must be true that things weren’t all rosy - the performances kind of suggest so.

I literally had to Google that guy, £3m for a player from Ross County?

Or is this some sort of whoooosh, that I'm unaware of? :))

I think Hagi and Morelos found it difficult under Gerrard, so I’m looking for both to flourish under Gio. However, looking at Borna’s performance last night made me think there may have been issue with him and Gerrard recently
Morelos and Hagi simply didn't fit into the system we played.
I'm a massive fan of Beale but if the staff had wanted to stay longer term they would have been better selling both and bringing in a false nine and a more traditional wide attacker instead.

As it stands I'll be delighted to see both players hopefully back to their best under a new staffing team.

I know it’s sad, but watched Gerard’s villa presser ahead of the Palace game.
Grinning at every question and mention of the EPL and his tussles with Viera etc
He’s loving every minute of being back down there.
I think he loved Rangers, but was over the tinpot SPL and our financial constraints.
I’m sure some players are happy he is gone, like any workplace and their boss

Could buy all of Dingwall for £3m

All just folk making up rumours really.

We will never know.

But watching the team it was clear it wasn't working on the pitch this season and it appeared neither Gerrard or his coaches could fix that problem. I still feel this team peaked last season.

We need Gio to get some bodies out the door in January if possible and introduce freshness to the squad.

Key part is just getting through this tough run of games coming up.

I'm happy now for a new approach. Yes I wouldn't have chosen to do it as we move into a tough run of fixtures. But that's football for ye

If Gio can get us to the winter break there or thereabouts he will have done a great job.

He can then hopefully get two or three out and replaced before we go to our training camp.

The board have forked out in the past for Gerrards squad fillers , maybe that was just one too many.

I’d always thank SG for the contributions he made to many aspects of the team, 55 and the standing of the Club in general.
However happy to resume my distrust & dislike of all things Liverpool.

Grinning at every question and mention of the EPL and his tussles with Viera etc
I think he loved Rangers, but was over the tinpot SPL and our financial constraints.
Definitely major factors in his decision.

May or may not be true, however the poster Vidmar who defo appears to have a line into the club said he was pushing hard for Nisbet but the board stood firm and said no.

Malmo was an aberration, there are bad results and then there are bad results that have a ripple effect through the club for weeks, months and sometimes years. IMO, ultimately Gerrard has nobody to blame but himself for Malmo, he dropped Helander for the 2nd leg and made numerous other errors, in truth he was outclassed by JDT that night.

The evidence is on the pitch that something was clearly not right, no matter what you choose to believe.
Fully agree with "Malmo was an aberration", at half time in Ibrox I was feeling really confident, 1st half we had them on the ropes but the defensive mistakes were ridiculous. Not sure how much blame can be placed on Gerrard or the players, or just bad luck or whatever, but the result certainly was an aberration... given how things were looking at half time

There was quite a bit of noise around Nisbet on deadline day, could be close to the truth

Don’t think Gerrard had lost the dressing room to any great extent. There were clearly some shortcomings though in comparison to last year.

Think players will benefit from a new voice and a fresh way of playing. Gio didn’t change a lot personnel wise the other night but you can already see he wants to play Morelos further forward, with more width and utilising our biggest attacking threats all at once in aribo, Kent and hagi.

For me it had gone stale, was too predictable and some players had lost their edge. Gio looks to have identified areas of improvement straight away.

Will be interesting to see over the coming weeks how things develop and who become the mainstays of the team and if any on the periphery play more I.e. Patterson

There was quite a bit of noise around Nisbet on deadline day, could be close to the truth
I think a ridiculous loan offer of sorts was made. Made no sense to loan out Itten. I think we may well have offered a makeweight but Hibs would want money.

For what it’s worth I think Nisbet would score bucketloads in the team. If Itten is offloaded in the summer for a couple million, I’d be happy for that to go to Hibs for Nisbet.

You just know that Nisbet would otherwise end up at the paedos and score bucketloads.

I think he’s just happy playing at Saturday 3pm 75% of the time and getting a good work/life balance.

If he sees us play Champions League and watches the Champions League anthem played out live at Ibrox on the telly with the camera panning to a stern Morelos frown, he will have goosebumps on his neck and be tinged with regret.

Back