Could Tav Go Supernova?

prenzlauerbear

I remember watching Alan Hutton under Eck and his form was bubbling for a bit, it was great, but then all of a sudden he exploded into this realm of unplayable. He hit his stride and every game he went into he knew he was battering the opposition. It was insane

Tav was great against Celtic. But watching him last night is probably the best I've ever seen him play. He had the chest puffed out, he was battering into play, taking control of situations. He just looked utterly impeccable. Oh, then he stepped up and bashed a penalty away. Just so so good

The way he's looking just now, I get that feeling. He looks absolutely shit hot

I remember watching Alan Hutton under Eck and his form was bubbling for a bit, it was great, but then all of a sudden he exploded into this realm of unplayable. He hit his stride and every game he went into he knew he was battering the opposition. It was insane

Tav was great against Celtic. But watching him last night is probably the best I've ever seen him play. He had the chest puffed out, he was battering into play, taking control of situations. He just looked utterly impeccable. Oh, then he stepped up and bashed a penalty away. Just so so good

I’m not so sure about your assessment of Hutton under big Eck mate.I recall Hutton being a bit of a whipping boy for the support under big eck post leg break and under Le Guen too.

His form for Walter the final couple of months of the 2006/07 season and 2007/08 up until he was sold was superb.Really first class and on the international stage too.

If I had the choice though taking everything into consideration,I’m picking Tavernier in my team ahead of Hutton.

There was a time Hutton was phenomenal for us mate.

Far superior, bit of a stretch imo.

Feel guilty saying this because I absolutely love Tav!

That’s true. The % of that time is probably under 25 though. Tav has pretty much always been one of the star performers in all the Rangers teams he has played in.

Thankfully he now has a good Rangers team to play in and starring in that team will see him getting the accolades he deserves imo.

I’m not so sure about your assessment of Hutton under big Eck mate.I recall Hutton being a bit of a whipping boy for the support under big eck post leg break and under Le Guen too.

His form for Walter the final couple of months of the 2006/07 season and 2007/08 up until he was sold was superb.Really first class and on the international stage too.

If I had the choice though taking everything into consideration,I’m picking Tavernier in my team ahead of Hutton.

He was mate, that's the point I'm making. When Wattie came in - if you look at our results the rest of that season, they're not that great. Big Al was average, then he came back, and for some reason - no idea why, maybe a physical or mental thing - it just clicked and he went to this new level.

I hope Tav is on the same path

Hutton was crazy good for 3-6 months.

Get a steam of pace up. Batter the ball twenty yards and either run onto it and skin his defender or initiate contact and win fouls left right and centre. Was absurd how effective he was.

Agree. Was it Stuttgart at Ibrox he was out of this world imo?

However if we are talking about overall performances for Rangers Tav has done a lot more imo.

Hutton and Adam rightly or wrongly were the whipping boys back then.

Tav currently has nine goals in ten games. If Morelos, Roofe, or Itten we’re posting those numbers we would be claiming to have a £30m plus CF on our hands.

Thats before we even discuss assists.
Unbelievable stats mate.

Smashing player we have, I fucking love him!

Tav seems a level above this year, he has the bit between his teeth and wants silverware. Maybe our home crowd not getting on his back for every misplaced pass is helping. He will have ups and downs as the season goes on, no-one can sustain form over 50-60 games a season, but so far he has been very impressive. Captain the team to the title this year and he can become a legend.

Hutton has won the SPL and English League Cup. That's the difference thus far. Once Tav picks up silverware, we can discuss the differences.
Hutton made 10 league appearances the year we won the league in 2004/05.

You seriously can’t value that above Tavernier’s contribution to us or do we rate Djordic & Mlandeavic ahead of Tav too until he wins the league?

Last edited:
I've been critical of Tav in the past but he's stepped up a few notches over the past month or so. His consistency of crossing is much better & being more of a leader on the park too.

If our form keeps up it's not crazy to think we could be under seige in January with bids for most of our 1st team squad now. The irony being Morelos is 1 that isn't one I'm fearful of losing now.

Hutton got the big transfer on the back of two back to back Scotland internationals at Hampden where he was outstanding (France and Italy?)

Until Tav has played in the Champion League and played over 150 games (after being transferred for big money) to the English Premiership, not to mention a season in La Liga and 50 international caps, there really shouldn’t even be a comparison.

Until Tav has played in the Champion League and played over 150 games (after being transferred for big money) to the English Premiership, not to mention a season in La Liga and 50 international caps, there really shouldn’t even be a comparison.

Our history is littered with legends who didn't do any of these things other than the CL/European Cup.

There's a strong argument that Tavernier has contributed more to Rangers than Hutton has. Remember, Hutton didn't really contribute hugely to any title wins.

I was at the game the day he broke his leg!! Terrible scream!

Nice positive OP......NOT

Our history is littered with legends who didn't do any of these things other than the CL/European Cup.

There's a strong argument that Tavernier has contributed more to Rangers than Hutton has. Remember, Hutton didn't really contribute hugely to any title wins.
There is no argument. Tav has contributed FAR more than Hutton did.

I watched back the match from Thursday last night,that was possibly Tav's best performance for us?
At the moment he is in superb form,long may it continue.

Tav's the best right back we've had for over 20 years now, probably longer.

His numbers are one thing, his work-rate, athleticism, leadership and constant want to take the ball is another thing altogether.

We are very lucky to have by far the best wingback in the country in Tav , his work rate is phenomenal and his stats are second to none .
Pause and think about 55 goals from 253 appearances from a wingback.......Tav is fast becoming legend status....

He isn't even a wingback. He is a fullback in a back 4, which makes his numbers even more incredible.

Hutton had a purple patch of form and got a big move out of it. (although admittedly didn't want to leave).

Tav would be my choice all day long though. His numbers are crazy, his discipline is superb and clearly takes care of himself as is very rarely injured.

Hutton at his peak was better. His peak might not have lasted very long and it coincided with a move to England so that's going to skew the debate but at their absolute best, I see no comparison. Hutton was putting in man of the match performances at Champions League level and against the world champions and runner ups for Scotland. The team he was in went on to dominate domestically and reach a European final. It's obviously hard to say if they're better than the current team but going by medals and progress in Europe, you'd have to say they were. If you look at the way transfer fees have inflated down there, it's the equivalent of a £28 million signing nowadays by my quick Googling. If Tavernier can put in the same kind of peformances at Champions League level and earn an almost £30 million move to the Premier League I'd see it as more of a comparison. Doing more for Rangers is another debate entirely. Kevin Thomson did more for Rangers than Rino Gattuso did as an example - I would guess that even Thomson's biggest fans can't really compare them overall based on their achievements/medals/status in world football.

Hutton has won the SPL and English League Cup. That's the difference thus far. Once Tav picks up silverware, we can discuss the differences.

I kinda get your point, but plenty great players have win nothing or to reverse, plenty shite players have won medals

not saying any of the above are shite by the way, just think we can discuss how good tav is compared to hutton even if hes won feck all

Hutton at his peak was better. His peak might not have lasted very long and it coincided with a move to England so that's going to skew the debate but at their absolute best, I see no comparison. Hutton was putting in man of the match performances at Champions League level and against the world champions and runner ups for Scotland. The team he was in went on to dominate domestically and reach a European final. It's obviously hard to say if they're better than the current team but going by medals and progress in Europe, you'd have to say they were. If you look at the way transfer fees have inflated down there, it's the equivalent of a £28 million signing nowadays by my quick Googling. If Tavernier can put in the same kind of peformances at Champions League level and earn an almost £30 million move to the Premier League I'd see it as more of a comparison. Doing more for Rangers is another debate entirely. Kevin Thomson did more for Rangers than Rino Gattuso did as an example - I would guess that even Thomson's biggest fans can't really compare them overall based on their achievements/medals/status in world football.
Well put.
I’d still have Tavernier first though!

I think Tav has a better goal ratio than many of our past midfielders! 9 in 10 is sublime for a fullback. He could end up being our top scorer, that is crazy.

Hutton and Adam rightly or wrongly were the whipping boys back then.
This is true, I’m sure there were rumours of a below million pounds bid made for him a year or so before he eventually left and the consensus was that we should bite their hand off.

To be fair, he hadn’t been great for us and I think everyone was pleasantly surprised at the massive improvement Hutton made.

Back