Could we pull off another Defoe type deal and land James Milner?

Has absolutely no relevance to the point being made. We were talking about finances, not about who they played for/much game time etc they were getting.

Yes, it does as it speak to their value.

Bournemouth are heavily subsiding the wages of a player they know wouldn’t be playing unless there was an injury crisis.

If Milner doesn’t get another deal with Liverpool on £60-£75,000 a week, he will have his pick of clubs who will offer him that.

Someone mentioned this on the "realistic transfer targets" thread and was rightfully hounded.

His current wage probably dwarfs what our highest paid player earns in a month.

As much as i would love it to happen. We couldn't afford his wages for a start. He will be off to Leeds when they're promoted.

%^*& that, weve took in enough players at the end of their careers we dont need more. Its a big NO from me.

Not a chance we could sign him.
The big difference between us signing Milner and Defoe is that Bournemouth are paying a big hack of Defoes wages. Nobody will be doing that with Milner if he doesnt have a club.

He has one year left on his deal and will apparently join Leeds in the summer if they are promoted. Not a chance we could match the wages of a Premier League side.

The thing with Milner is that he is a very good water carrier who does the dirty work for the far more flamboyant players in his team. We don't have those super-talented attackers to benefit from him. If we were to sign him, people would have completely unrealistic expectations of him.

James Milner plays nearly every game, whereas Defoe wasn't featuring. Assuming he doesn't remain at Liverpool he will get plenty of offers down south

A good friend of mine, sadly gone, discovered JM and took him to Leeds as a youngster. They kept in touch throughout JMs career and my mate often told me, JMs father was Gers Daft if thats, of any relevance. BTW, I have always thought JM, was highly, over rated.

Last edited:
Not even remotely similar situations. Defoe is quite a bit older and wasn’t getting a game at a fairly poor team. Milner is a consistent player for the PL & CL challengers.

No. No chance of us affording him.

Plus he excels in doing the spade work for the class acts around him. He wouldn't be surrounded by the same quality up here, and equally he's not some Gascoigne-esque figure who can take games by the scruff of the neck and win them on his own. So all things considered I can't see it happening, and if it did I'm not sure it would be a good move for either party.

I was told by a friend last month , who's wife is from Liverpool and ( obviously ) his in - laws stay in Liverpool , that Milner is coming to us next season .
Apparently , he wants to do his coaching badges , and Steven Gerrard has promised that he will do with us .
Don't know any other details , or if there is any truth to it , but it is doing the rounds in Liverpool .
Just saying what I was told .......

Nope. Not a chance. He's still a very good player at that level and will go onto a mid table club an become their best player.

Can see him at a Bournemouth or something along those lines.

I recall some fans saying the exact same thing about Jermain Defoe.Stranger things have happened.

Out of contract in the summer. Will no doubt have plenty of offers from down south so it's pie in the sky thinking, but I did hear on talk sport the other week that he is still very good friends with Gerrard and they've been talking about all things Rangers since he came up here.

It's a long shot but who's to say that money is the only thing that motivates a player. If you don't ask you don't get really.

Bedtime.

I was told by a friend last month , who's wife is from Liverpool and ( obviously ) his in - laws stay in Liverpool , that Milner is coming to us next season .
Apparently , he wants to do his coaching badges , and Steven Gerrard has promised that he will do with us .
Don't know any other details , or if there is any truth to it , but it is doing the rounds in Liverpool .
Just saying what I was told .......

Im going to ask my relatives if there's any rumours about Milner, as most of them are staunch Pool.fans.

Depends what kind of guy he is.

He has peaked physically and will be drifting out of the picture at Liverpool a little more every day.

He could still get a deal in the lower half of the EPL but might fancy something different.

He blew every other player off the training pitch during the pre season fitness tests. He has a few years of top level football in him yet

If this is what a 5% increase on season tickets gets us then hell take my money and double it! Would be tremendous but can’t see it happening

Milner would have to take a wage cut in line with his advancing years. Too many pensioners trying to pick up huge wages drifting around the lower half of the epl. Milner may just fancy a challenge up here on reduced wages, he's a rich man and may just fancy having a crack at knocking the mentally challengeds off their perch, on realistic wages of course. I Can dream......

He’s just played his part in a successful CL quarter final win for Liverpool.

It’s absolutely crazy to suggest he wouldn’t be a great player for Rangers. Defoe and Davis have never played at the same elite level Milner has over the past 5 years.

Saying that I highly doubt he’ll be at Ibrox next season. He either stays at Anfield or returns to Leeds.

I just can't see Milner leaving the prem. for uphear not if he can get another few years down there, if not with the Pool, then Leeds, it must be that time of year again?

Back