Could we pull off another Defoe type deal and land James Milner?

WestminsterLoyal57

Out of contract in the summer. Will no doubt have plenty of offers from down south so it's pie in the sky thinking, but I did hear on talk sport the other week that he is still very good friends with Gerrard and they've been talking about all things Rangers since he came up here.

It's a long shot but who's to say that money is the only thing that motivates a player. If you don't ask you don't get really.

Out of contract in the summer. Will no doubt have plenty of offers from down south so it's pie in the sky thinking, but I did hear on talk sport the other week that he is still very good friends with Gerrard and they've been talking about all things Rangers since he came up here.

It's a long shot but who's to say that money is the only thing that motivates a player. If you don't ask you don't get really.
The difference here is that we're not paying the majority of Defoes wages.

There’s some confusion as to if his contract runs it this summer or next, even if it is this summer I can’t see him leaving leaving the EPL.

Might have a chance in a year or two but I'm sure he'll be staying in the Prem for the foreseeable. Liverpool must be extending his deal though I thought he was a key part of the dressing room under Klopp?

Not a chance we'll sign him, even on a bosman

If he doesnt stay with Liverpool he'll get another EPL team on a 2/3 year deal

Somebody somebody mentioned him on Rangers radio but I missed the start.
If it wasn't for Stevie G I would think no chance but you never know.

Massive wages for an old player though

It would be truly incredible if we had a player of that calibre coming here in the summer. Fact is though that he's still capable of playing at the very top level at 33 years of age and could still get a move to a club able to pay him much more than we can.

Depends what kind of guy he is.

He has peaked physically and will be drifting out of the picture at Liverpool a little more every day.

He could still get a deal in the lower half of the EPL but might fancy something different.

25k of his weekly wage which is huge for us but in the end we would need to pay Milner in full not just a third of his wage .

There is categorically no chance of James Milner coming to us .

I'm not saying it will happen but at 33 and having played in the EPL since 17, a boring b*stard who is T Total (no doubt invested all his money wisely etc), I don't think money will be the object in his next move. Davis is up the road for relative buttons as well because he's made all his money and actually wants to be here.

I'm not saying it will happen but at 33 and having played in the EPL since 17, a boring b*stard who is T Total (no doubt invested all his money wisely etc), I don't think money will be the object in his next move. Davis is up the road for relative buttons as well because he's made all his money and actually wants to be here.

I hope you are right mate but I just cannot see it .

This is the crap we heard when Defoe was being linked.

How on earth can you possibly compare?

Milner is 33 and still playing regularly for Liverpool. He will have no shortage of huge offers in the summer if he does leave Liverpool on a free. Defoe is a 36 year old who was not featuring for Bournemouth. We are paying a percentage of his wage rather than the whole wage.

No chance of this happening.

Liverpool will most likely want to keep him but if not he would walk into any other EPL side outwith the traditional top 6 - even Arsenal, Chelsea or Spurs may take a punt on him so there is no danger he is going to come up here for peanuts.

Leeds would be a decent shout for his next club. They're his boyhood team.

This is the crap we heard when Defoe was being linked.

Mate, Defoe is 36 and couldn’t get near Bournemouth’s starting lineup.

Milner is 33 and one of the first names on the teamsheet - in one of three positions- for a team going for the EPL and CL.

A wee, tiny, minuscule difference there:D

Mate, Defoe is 36 and couldn’t get near Bournemouth’s starting lineup.

Milner is 33 and one of the first names on the teamsheet - in one of three positions- for a team going for the EPL and CL.

A wee, tiny, minuscule difference there:D

Has absolutely no relevance to the point being made. We were talking about finances, not about who they played for/much game time etc they were getting.

Even if he fancied coming to us, we couldn’t afford it. He will get a free to a West Ham type club, who will pay him big bucks in lieu of a transfer fee.

Back