Could we still make Europa league?

Nick a point in the next two games , ajax lose both their games , beat ajax at Ibrox , job done , you’d think Napoli will rest most their team against us if they beat ajax next week

Remember when we couldn’t score away against Alashkert who were absolutely terrible and the highlight of the game was when the camera changed to some random in the studio for 2 minutes?

Then we lost our opening 2 Europa league games. Imagine Gio was in charge after those? What some would be saying about him.

At that point to think we’d make the final was probably a bigger leap than what this thread is suggesting

Would prefer to concentrate on the league and cups after the World Cup.
This.

Last season was a culmination of all Gerrards work restoring us as a European team with some credit. We played a mammoth 19 European games and came as close as it’s possible to get without winning the trophy.

That will be the last time a Scottish side gets to a final for another 40 years unfortunately. It was a one off.

This.

Last season was a culmination of all Gerrards work restoring us as a European team with some credit. We played a mammoth 19 European games and came as close as it’s possible to get without winning the trophy.

That will be the last time a Scottish side gets to a final for another 40 years unfortunately. It was a one off.
We went to division 3 then back to a European final in 14 years. I think you’re being a bit harsh

Napoli are the best team in the group so far. We did well against them until Sands sending off.

A draw vs Liverpool at home and a win vs Ajax at Ibrox who seem to have dropped in form could potentially see us finish 3rd if Ajax lose their other 2 games Napoli away and Liverpool

Keep Believing
We'll be lucky to score in this group never mind finishing third. We as a team are well below the standard of all 3 clubs in this group. That's the reality of us as a club

Absolutely possible. Surely have to give it a go against Liverpool, after last weeks meek surrender, give a good account of ourselves in napoli, even if it ends in a likely defeat, then have a go at Ajax too if, fingers crossed, a victory would take us above them into 3rd place. Let's face it, we turned in a meek performance in Amsterdam too and made them look much better than they have subsequently shown.

We went to division 3 then back to a European final in 14 years. I think you’re being a bit harsh
We were always going to get back to the Premier League within a 3/4 years period and while as a club we did exceptionally well to reach EL Final we are know where near the level of the CL
Tbh last season was a one off for us which probably comes around once in a generation

Can’t see it and it’s one of the reasons why I prefer the Europa league. It’s our level and many other great clubs level too. We’ve witnessed us in 2 finals at this level and many many great wins. As a fan that’s what I prefer to experience.

If we can match the effort and desire on display against Napoli in our next two home games and with the backing of the crowd we will give ourselves a chance. We have taken some scalps over the last few seasons against some big European sides.

Equally it could be rabbits in the headlights stuff and we could be on the receiving end of another couple of pumpings,

If we are destined to finish bottom, I'd rather do so showing some fight and play the guys that have been displaying it recently. Too many automatic picks in this team that need dropped.

I dunno mate. But we've sold some important players, Kent, Kamara, Tav, Lundstram and Morelos are out of form and we're a level up from the EL. All of these things have hampered us.
I know what you are saying but it’s not just the performances it’s the set up from the start, it’s so negative. I feel last season he felt ah %^*& it not my team etc just go for it.

Don't see it happening even if it's mathematically possible. If we get a couple of draws from the remaining games we will be doing well
We’ll be doing well to get a couple of goals.
It’s a horror group and the gulf in class all over the park (except in goal) is Grand Canyonesque.

Would be a tremendous feat if we were to make the Europa League. If we take something from the Liverpool game then it would make things very interesting providing Ajax lose their next 2 games.

I really doubt it, we haven’t laid a glove on any of the three of them so far.

Playing Napoli away we’ll be lucky not to be on the end of a doing with how they’re playing. Liverpool and Ajax, despite the games being at Ibrox, I just can’t see us getting anything from they both absolutely battered us.

Technically we can still win the CL group. Now I wonder what the odds would be for that!

Realistically for any hope of the EL we need the minimum of a point next week because I can’t see us getting anything at Napoli.

We’d need to overcome Ajax. I don’t know if that’s possible.

Obviously we’d need to beat them at Ibrox and pick up something at home to Liverpool or in Napoli, given they humped us in Amsterdam.

Is it possible, yes. Is it likely, no. As well as doing the above we need to hope Ajax don’t get another point and I feel they’re more than capable of taking something from this Liverpool side at home.

Hopefully we can have another magical night at Ibrox next week and another outstanding away performance in Napoli. A big ask, but we’ve done it before

We’d all like think so, but we are starting so far back with 3 to play. At this stage 2 or 3 points would be a maximum we could achieve in reality.

Its still possible but as others have said highly unlikely though. What i want to see from the remaining CL games is for Gio to focus on getting the team set up properly for these games. The players need to step up to the plate and show a lot more urgency in our play and not to give the opposition too much respect as we were too passive on the park on Tuesday evening.

I think we need at least two draws in next two games and then beat Ajax at home. Can see Ajax taking a point off Liverpool.

Very unlikely. Need Gio to get the team to actually apply themselves for a change. Find the spirit of our Europa League run last season - tactics we’ve somehow abandoned?!

Would prefer to concentrate on the league and cups after the World Cup.

Agreed. With Roofe, Hagi, Lowry, Lawrence, Helander, Souttar all coming back between now and January, added to what we have, we should have more than enough to win domestically whilst being able to actually rotate - something that has cost us in previous seasons. There's also a good chance it'll be Celtic who have European fixtures after Xmas for a change.

I'd rather be turfed out of the Champions League now and just focus on getting everyone up to speed to win week in, week out domestically in the coming year. If we win the league, everything else will take care of itself.

It's crazy to think we could actually qualify for the europa league by scoring only 1 goal and concede 20(enter random number)

If we can end up with a shoot out against Ajax in the last game then I can just about see it. Long shot.

I know what you are saying but it’s not just the performances it’s the set up from the start, it’s so negative. I feel last season he felt ah %^*& it not my team etc just go for it.

Not convinced that the set up is drastically different this season mate.

The away games under Gio last season, we were also set up very much to defend first and foremost. Dortmund was a game where we counter attacked perfectly, and its not something that will happen very often, sadly.

The games in Braga, Belgrade and Leipzig were all defensive performances, so the games in Amsterdam and Liverpool were always going to be the same. I will admit that Amsterdam was not acceptable though in our efforts.

Obviously in the home games, we went for it and got the results we required. And so far this season, in our 3 home games against USG, PSV and Napoli, I dont think anyone could say we have not gone for it, and been negative?

We could but I would think it's very unlikely. It's more likely we'll just lose 3 more times.

Fingers crossed we just find a way to keep going though.

I think if we go into the Ajax game needing a 1-0 win to qualify we will do it. I think to win the league with our ever decreasing squad getting knocked out would help. As quickly as some of the players come back I can see others drop out either by getting sold in Jan or injured.

Back