Covid providing opportunity for possible British set up?

Galstonian Oranje

Official Ticketer
As per title.

We have all heard the arguements and politics over the years why this will never happen. However, football has never faced anything like this.

If as predicted, numerous clubs go under due to this on both sides of the border, what better opportunity to amalgamte the league set up and get rid of the charlatans we have in office up here?

At what level any club would enter will ultimately be decisive of what teams survive.

Ideal window of opportunity

Unless we get the corrupt placemen out on our own doing any amalgamation will still have remnants of the corruption we face.

Can you imagine Kevin Clancy in the premier league?

Kevin Clancy is a part time referee with a day job. Even in the extremely unlikely circumstance a British league comes to pass I would highly doubt he would be considered for any kind of role in it, given that loads of refs down there are full time.

Rangers created the idea for the champions league. We should do it again and try to set up an breakaway league outside of UEFA, a Northern European league. Scandinavia, Holland, Germany, France, Belgium etc.

UEFA is stinking with corrupt. We should stand for a new football that is democratic and fairer to all clubs and not dominated by the elites. Think a lot of clubs and fans would find such an idea very attractive.

Scottish football is the most corrupt in Europe. It would fade into obscurity without us to give it it's only claim to glory.

Supply and Demand, its the basics of capitalism. We are just as big as most of their top 7 Our only falter being geography!

Ask Swansea or Cardiff how that's worked out for them, then tell me how it can never happen etc lol

You don't get if you don't ask.
It can’t happen because uefa don’t allow cross border movement

Rangers created the idea for the champions league. We should do it again and try to set up an breakaway league outside of UEFA, a Northern European league. Scandinavia, Holland, Germany, France, Belgium etc.

UEFA is stinking with corrupt. We should stand for a new football that is democratic and fairer to all clubs and not dominated by the elites. Think a lot of clubs and fans would find such an idea very attractive.

Scottish football is the most corrupt in Europe. It would fade into obscurity without us to give it it's only claim to glory.
We didn’t create the idea, that was a Murray PR spin. A breakaway outside of UEFA, are you serious?

It's not just us and/or Celtic that needs to get out of Scottish football. Scottish football needs to get out of 'Scottish football'.

Our game is so parochial & full of hate, simply because we are playing in a league where to finish second is failure. Unfortunately we can't just decide to leave, the SFA would never agree to it because the money we generate is too important to the smaller clubs.

Also, outside maybe half a dozen top clubs in England the rest of the English clubs don't want us as it would diminish their chances of being in the top division.

It would take political pressure outwith football to bring any change. I've always felt the unionist politicians missed a trick after the 2014 referendum to try & create a British league. Most politicians have little interest in football, but they underestimate the power & influence it has over so many people's feelings. It can be a useful political tool.

The Scottish league becoming part of a U.K. wide pyramid with the SPFL fitting in at equivalent to League One level could be possible with the right support and would allow the opportunity for all clubs to progress higher. I would even settle for fitting in at tier five National League level.

European football would be harder to achieve and FIFA might abolish the Scottish national team which would displease the nationalists, but that Is no great loss.

With sport currently suspended and clubs facing an uncertain future this would be as good a time as any to push for change.

We didn’t create the idea, that was a Murray PR spin. A breakaway outside of UEFA, are you serious?
CO was instrumental to its creation.

Aye, I'm serious :cool: There is a lot of good clubs tired of being dominated by the elite nature of UEFA.

CO was instrumental to its creation.

Aye, I'm serious :cool: There is a lot of good clubs tired of being dominated by the elite nature of UEFA.

Unless you want to be tied up in a costly court battle for a decade it will need to be under UEFA rules. Lots of rules like any player who plays for a club outwith uefa jurisdiction can’t then play for a club still within UEFa . So an Alfredo morellos wouldn’t sign for rangers if it means he then can’t transfer to the biff clubs in uefa,

Wise man once told me only choose battles you can win

REUFL0x.gif

As per title.

We have all heard the arguements and politics over the years why this will never happen. However, football has never faced anything like this.

If as predicted, numerous clubs go under due to this on both sides of the border, what better opportunity to amalgamte the league set up and get rid of the charlatans we have in office up here?

At what level any club would enter will ultimately be decisive of what teams survive.

Ideal window of opportunity
Why don’t they just amalgamate England, Spain and Germany then?

Unless you want to be tied up in a costly court battle for a decade it will need to be under UEFA rules. Lots of rules like any player who plays for a club outwith uefa jurisdiction can’t then play for a club still within UEFa . So an Alfredo morellos wouldn’t sign for Rangers if it means he then can’t transfer to the biff clubs in uefa,

Wise man once told me only chose battles you can win
Even the Emperor must stand naked. UEFA don't own football. The fans do. We are living through a crisis not seen in our lifetimes that is actively changing the world. Football won't go back to business as usual. I'm not saying it will happen but if it was too it would be very attractive to a lot of clubs and to fans.

Potentially link up with the EFL might be on the cards over the next 18 months I’d imagine.

A lot of smaller lower league clubs on both sides of the border will probably face some sort of insolvency if no fans are allowed into games for most of the 20/21 season that might open up a few doors if both leagues are looking at 30+ clubs in administration.

It can’t happen because uefa don’t allow cross border movement

Swansea, 2012/13 Europa League round of 32, then EPL recently also. Where was UEFA then?

So Rangers most definitely can. Scotland, Wales & NI are not countries. The UK is. Rangers could not play in Spain, but we sure as anything can play in another nation inside of our state. Just like Swansea did, and still do under todays rules.

Why would anyone on the EPL gravy train want more competition?

They may need stiffs (as they may see us) to make up the numbers if some of the weaker EPL clubs are not able to survive this crisis, and to generate some more interest in proceedings. Such is the general disdain for the Scottish game down south I think they could well let us in not fully realising the potential we would actually have with the money that being in the EPL brings.

I still can't see it happening ever to be honest. If Sky or BT Sports really wanted it to happen I guess it would though but there would be a lot of push back.

I actually reckon that despite all the opportunity to make positive changes when we come out of this everything will be pretty much the same.

The English clubs don't want it. The English FA doesn't want it - it would eventually lead to a British FA and British team, so no EFA, SFA, NIFA, WFA and national teams. UEFA and FIFA would require this. The SNP would oppose it, as would every chief constable in England. It won't happen.

Kevin Clancy is a part time referee with a day job. Even in the extremely unlikely circumstance a British league comes to pass I would highly doubt he would be considered for any kind of role in it, given that loads of refs down there are full time.

I said can you imagine? I didn’t say it’s a certainty.... HOWEVER the point I was making was unless we manage to dismantle the SPFL then any amalgamation(if it did happen however unlikely) is the going to be poisoned by the same cancer than inflicts our game.

The English clubs don't want it. The English FA doesn't want it - it would eventually lead to a British FA and British team, so no EFA, SFA, NIFA, WFA and national teams. UEFA and FIFA would require this. The SNP would oppose it, as would every chief constable in England. It won't happen.
That's your views of their opinions pre covid. You see them as a problem. Others may see the opportunity.

The footballing landscape may well be very different in the aftermath. That is my point.

I don't see how you can break cross border rules, when you aren't crossing any borders but I don't think it will ever happen. It's the most successful league in the world, they just don't need us. When it comes to money, the EPL will always be top of the league, so to speak.

Rangers or Celtic for that matter will not play anywhere in England in our lifetime, our kids lifetime or our grandkids lifetime, it's not going to happen despite what damage any pandemic does to the sporting world of English football, they dont care about us and why should they ? They don't need us and with the money floating around England they never will need us.... Every other day this utter guff is brought up.

Swansea, 2012/13 Europa League round of 32, then EPL recently also. Where was UEFA then?

So Rangers most definitely can. Scotland, Wales & NI are not countries. The UK is. Rangers could not play in Spain, but we sure as anything can play in another nation inside of our state. Just like Swansea did, and still do under todays rules.

Wit fucking school did you go to? Hahahaha!

Reactions: VGM

Swansea have played in English football for over 130 years. There is no comparison and this has been done to death for as long as I can remember.

i can never see it happening, its only been talked about most of my life and im 43.

e

The welsh clubs competing in England joined the english system prior to the formation of UEFA, one current UEFA rule is that if you have no professional league you can play in another country. Now that Wales has a professional league no Welsh clubs are now allowed to join the english system, current uefa rules allow any team who historically have played in a different country prior to UEFa forming are allowed to remain there.

The 4 home nations whilst Not being countries have an agreement that the 4 FAS have representation in UEFA, this means they have a national team, professional leagues and follow UEFa rules.

Yes we can take them to court but to win would take a decade when UEFa rules state that this would prohibit you from competing in UEFA competition and likely lead to the SFA withdrawing our domestivpc licence.

All in all it would take 20 years to get to the premiership and lose us ntold millions, meaning we couldn’t fund the opportunity.

Much better sitting back and allowing the changes that are going to happen naturally. Don’t be the Bosman who’s career
stalled and never recovered, be the player who later took advantage

Yes they do Derry City from Northern Ireland play in the Republic of Ireland league set up ,

That’s because UEFA have a rule that stipulates any team who cannot play within their own country due to safety reasons are allowed to play in another league. There is no rule that says you can move because you fancy a move

Covid 19 makes this less likely. Travel restrictions - physical and financial - will be around until we have a reliable vaccine. The cheap flights era has gone.

Back