Cowdenbeath call for current league standings to be made final

You'll be right. Which likely makes it an EGM type vote. I remember kicking us out the SPL in 2012 needed 2/3 which was 8 of the 12, but don't know if SPFL has same rules as the old SPL did.

If and when they decide on 2019/20 hopefully the decision is taken at a higher level i.e UEFA agreeing with the European Leagues body then left to individual associations/leagues

Not many players from Cowdenbeath will be banging managers door down and demanding higher wages. Their players will gladly extend contracts.

I think he wants to negotiate some kind of pay off to the players right now.

I'm not 100% certain that he is, in fact, saying what the headline writers would have you believe.
His team are currently in the playoff place (fourth) but he seems to infer that they are not overly concerned about the playoffs (the prize that would come with a fourth place finish) but would like the season called off and prize money (nothing else) allocated based on current positions so that clubs could have a degree of certainty re budgets and, potentially, access the money sooner.
Naturally for those in the MSM they will, however, portray his statement to mean the bheggars should be awarded the title.
I could, of course, be wrong in my interpretation but from what's been posted he doesn't appear to go to the lengths the headlines suggest or infer.

Can we finish future seasons at this point? It seems to be enough for a few.

And is this a magic cut-off point -- 75% ??
Would it have made any difference if it had been 70%, or 65%, or even 25% ??

As I've posted before on this subject, if such decisions can be made then they could be made after (say) three games, with a title being handed to the current "leaders" at the time.
You either see a clear title winner, or there's no title winner.

And as for the notion that current standings would have to be set in stone as the season's winners & losers, just so that monies can be released ...
How about the other suggestion that has been just as commonly floated -- that the season is voided, and EVERY club in their league gets the SAME portion of the money due to that league ??

Now THAT is a winner every day.
EVERY club gets a bail out, and nobody is unduly punished nor unfairly rewarded.

Last edited:
This is the problem that all leagues are going to have. A team like Cowdenbeath, who stand to benefit from ending the league early by finishing in the final play off spot by 1 point, want things finished early.

All leagues are going to be split for this reason and no amount of votes or discussion will ever reach an agreement. This is why completing all fixtures is so important - because it makes the final positions indisputable. This is also why, without final league standings, we cannot award league positions, trophies, play off places or relegation/ promotion slots.

Cowdenbeath are an irrelevance.
They might not be, there will be more the longer this goes on. If there is enough seen to be supporting this I can see it going to a vote ( the clubs should insist on a vote on a critical matter like this imo, it doesn’t stand currently for that to happen) . It’s going to take enough teams with a negative outlook of accepting a current standings attitude to stop it. Obviously us and Hearts in the SPL, maybe Livingston who could potentially lose out on a European spot. There will be a few others in the other divisions as well of course, hopefully enough to stop this.

Last edited:
I doubt many of them clubs give a monkeys wether us, them or the sheep can win the title. They're looking after themselves and rightly so.

They're a member club, so their entitled to have an opinion. If anyone thinks the guys who run other clubs are doing favours for them, then your paranoia is getting out of control.

Never tell the truth when a good lie will do. I wonder if this finance director would be coming out with this - if they where say - in the relegation place but with the remaining 25% of the season left a great opportunity to get out. I wonder.

Once you get rid of integrity, the rest is a piece if cake.

The Tims must be paying these wee! teams to say this so they can Get there Title! other teams round the world dont give a feck as theres more important things in life at min that football

Aye, we should bring in a new rule covering all sporting competitions, complete 75 per cent of a race or tournament and whoever leads wins!
In football matches, any team that's ahead after 67 mins the ref blows for full-time.

The Tims must be paying these wee! teams to say this so they can Get there Title! other teams round the world dont give a feck as theres more important things in life at min that football

Anybody else think that Lawell has had a word with Les Gray?

I doubt many of them clubs give a monkeys wether us, them or the sheep can win the title. They're looking after themselves and rightly so.

They're a member club, so their entitled to have an opinion. If anyone thinks the guys who run other clubs are doing favours for them, then your paranoia is getting out of control.

An ex-chairman of a smaller club literally said that this was exactly going on.

Cowdenbeath have called for the Scottish Professional Football League to declare final placings as they stand to help clubs financially.

The Fife club sit in the Ladbrokes League Two promotion play-off places but finance director David Allan would rather have the financial guarantee of end-of-season payouts from the league than a possibility of going up.

"Calling the season gives us certainty," Allan told BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound programme. "Whether it's about the money or not, let's just call it over.

"I am not one that goes for the void route. We have played 75 per cent of the season, surely that's enough? Otherwise you are getting into the realms of the Dallas scenario - Bobby Ewing's dream season where we just forget about it. I am not keen on that.

"We are fourth in the league, if we get fourth-placed money then that would be very helpful. We are not going to take legal action if we don't get a play-off."

Cowdenbeath have paid wages for March but have staff members who are still working and cannot be placed on furlough leave as part of the Government's financial help, while their part-time players have more than two months of wages to come before the normal close season.

Allan said: "In the last week or two, two or three times we have gone to speak to the players, the world changes, we have to keep changing with that.

"For some of them it's their main income, their only income for some, and it's vital.

"We paid 100 per cent this month, it buys time to sit down and have a look at things and look at the scheme and how it works.

"Now we have to look at April and May, that's the two big months. Players contracts after June 10, where we are going from there, I don't know."
gfzzgbL.gif

I heard that interview yesterday. What was curious was Michael Stewart was arguing they could/should pay the money based on current standings, but not call the season done.

I get that all clubs have fanbases, of various size. However it wouldnt really be the worst thing if the Scottish League lost a few member clubs here, there are far too many for such a small country.

I honestly don't know what the majority would want.
If declaring standings final gets them money, quite a lot would go with it.
Most clubs aren't in relegation positions or could still be champions.
Again if it was decided to split the money evenly , some would get more and vote to void the league.

If he's quoting Bobby Ewing, does that mean we can call in Jim Rockford to right all the wrongs that we've suffered? Better still, let's get Daisy Duke to do the half time draw and we'll field the Harlem Globetrotters at kick off.

It helps Cowdenbeath but It doesn’t help those who will be relegated but would otherwise be safe for the remaining fixtures.

So playing 75% is enough?

If he wants to give me every penny from him and his club as a loan, I'll pay back 75% of it and we'll say that I've given him enough?

Seems fair to me.

Reactions: VGM
Better idea is to abandon the season due to a global emergency. Split the prize money evenly between the teams in each league.

Aye, we should bring in a new rule covering all sporting competitions, complete 75 per cent of a race or tournament and whoever leads wins!
In football matches, any team that's ahead after 67 mins the ref blows for full-time.
Well bet365 or whoever already pay out if your team goes 2 up so that's all the precedent some people need

Back