Cowdenbeath call for current league standings to be made final

rangeral

Cowdenbeath have called for the Scottish Professional Football League to declare final placings as they stand to help clubs financially.

The Fife club sit in the Ladbrokes League Two promotion play-off places but finance director David Allan would rather have the financial guarantee of end-of-season payouts from the league than a possibility of going up.

"Calling the season gives us certainty," Allan told BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound programme. "Whether it's about the money or not, let's just call it over.

"I am not one that goes for the void route. We have played 75 per cent of the season, surely that's enough? Otherwise you are getting into the realms of the Dallas scenario - Bobby Ewing's dream season where we just forget about it. I am not keen on that.

"We are fourth in the league, if we get fourth-placed money then that would be very helpful. We are not going to take legal action if we don't get a play-off."

Cowdenbeath have paid wages for March but have staff members who are still working and cannot be placed on furlough leave as part of the Government's financial help, while their part-time players have more than two months of wages to come before the normal close season.

Allan said: "In the last week or two, two or three times we have gone to speak to the players, the world changes, we have to keep changing with that.

"For some of them it's their main income, their only income for some, and it's vital.

"We paid 100 per cent this month, it buys time to sit down and have a look at things and look at the scheme and how it works.

"Now we have to look at April and May, that's the two big months. Players contracts after June 10, where we are going from there, I don't know."

I understand that these clubs serve there community but really that is one load of shite he's talking
because we've played 75% of the season we should just say right thats how it will stand.
Where in the rules does it state that?
Null and void the season and stop pussyfooting about ffs.

SPFL club call for current league standings to be made final

The first time Cowdenbeath have ever had a headline in that trampzine.

At least we know how they will vote when the inevitable SPFL recommendation to make current standings final is made.

well lets ask the other teams in their league and you will find the vast majority will say null and void.but they dont want to print that now do they.fck cowdenbeath

This lot don’t matter as they won’t be there after this......
And no doubt this is another one of Peter’s pals trotting our the party line.

well lets ask the other teams in their league and you will find the vast majority will say null and void.but they dont want to print that now do they.fck cowdenbeath

I honestly don't know what the majority would want.
If declaring standings final gets them money, quite a lot would go with it.
Most clubs aren't in relegation positions or could still be champions.

I think any decision on the outcome of the league will be taken out of the SPL members hands.
I expect UEFA to make the final decision across all leagues.
And despite any gaps at the top and bottom they won’t want to declare winner’s or relegation when teams can still win the league or beat the drop.
There are too many big clubs across Europe who are not at the top of their league but a couple of points off the top.
Just my opinion.

I understand that these clubs serve there community but really that is one load of shite he's talking
because we've played 75% of the season we should just say right thats how it will stand.
Where in the rules does it state that?
Null and void the season and stop pussyfooting about ffs.
There are more Rangers fans in Cowdenbeath area than all the other Scottish teams put together.

In truth I don't know myself what percentage it would be as i don't think anything is in the rules about it?

You'll be right. Which likely makes it an EGM type vote. I remember kicking us out the SPL in 2012 needed 2/3 which was 8 of the 12, but don't know if SPFL has same rules as the old SPL did.

Cowdenbeath.. The team that gets more folk in their stadium to watch bangers fly around the outside of the pitch rather than watch the football, aye let's listen to them!
Whoever that guy is made it very clear, stop now because it suits them.... Sorry mate that's not how it's going to work!

Sportsound you say?

Interviewees on there will be pre-vetted by Pacific Quay CSC, you won’t be hearing anyone advocating playing the season to a finish.

Why does he think having played 75% of games in any way backs up his argument? All it does is demonstrate there is still a very substantial chunk of the season to be played and anything could happen. It's like saying a result should stand if a game is abandoned and 68 minutes have been played. That would never happen and rightly so. If the competition can't be completed it should be voided. Bobby Ewing or not!

Back