Match Thread Cowdenbeath v Rangers - 19:45 Friday - POSTPONED

A game against them was also called off when we were in the lower divisions.

We were at the ground when it was called off and the pitch looked playable that day also.

Cowdenbeath weren't happy that day either.

This is utterly scandalous . Look at that park it’s perfect . One wee corner a bit muddy ffs .

So a corner of the pitch is frozen? A few kettles and some forking solves that.

Even a vented tent with a heater in it would do it.

There needs to be questions asked over who called this off.

Some sand in the area would sort it especially as reports are that it's not freezing at the moment.

If Cowdenbeath weren't happy why not call in the actual ref?

[B]Four Lads Had a Dream[/B]‏ @[B]4ladshadadream[/B]
Following Following @4ladshadadream

More

Replying to @[B]RangersFC[/B] @[B]ScottishCup[/B] @[B]CowdenbeathFC[/B]

As a club I hope you take it all the way, same with Cowdenbeath The pitch is fine & subsequent coverage since proves that Travelling Fans once again inconvenienced & most already left Decision is ludicrous on evidence provided
That's who you really feel for ,the bears traveling , calling it off this late is an absolute joke.

Has everyone seen the pictures of the pitch ? It’s absoluteky perfect . Something needs done about this .

Apparently a LOCAL referee said the pitch was unplayable. Excuse my ignorance but isn't it supposed to be the official match referee that makes this decision rather than some amatuer referee who has nothing to do with the game.

We absolutely deserve answers on who has called this. IF that's the issue, and at the temperatures we have faced today, that could literally be walked soft in ten minutes. Added to that, if that also a sand top coat, it quite literally wouldn't freeze. This wasn't a few nights of penetrating frost and if the host club are angry, tell us who and why it was called. As an ex groundsman, I'm not buying that it's just the corner.

What an absolute fucking farce this is. What is going on?

If there's not more to it than a frozen section in the corner heads must roll.

Scottish football really is a laughing stock.

Local ref. Did sfa sanction this? Id suggest cowdenbeath and our supprt deserve compensation, thats an absolute disgrace. That pitch is playable

We now play the same night the filth games in hand is.

We absolutely deserve answers on who has called this. IF that's the issue, and at the temperatures we have faced today, that could literally be walked soft in ten minutes. Added to that, if that also a sand top coat, it quite literally wouldn't freeze. This wasn't a few nights of penetrating frost and if the host club are angry, tell us who and why it was called. As an ex groundsman, I'm not buying that it's just the corner.
Sounds like Rangers weren't too happy and asked for the inspection.

Cowdenbeath director Tom Ewing believes Central Park's surface was playable despite their Scottish Cup tie against Rangers being postponed.
The fourth-round tie was called off because of a frozen pitch after an inspection by a local referee three hours before Friday evening's kick-off.
"The referee's made his decision and we've got to abide by that, but we are hugely disappointed," Ewing said.
"We didn't call the referee in. We felt the pitch was fine."
Tickets were sold out at the 4,300 capacity ground for the match due to be shown live on TV, with Steven Gerrard's Rangers playing the first game after the Premiership's winter break.
The game will now be played on Wednesday 30 January, but Cowdenbeath believe they had done enough to make sure there was no postponement.
Volunteers helped the League Two club lay protective covers over the playing surface on Wednesday and these were removed ahead of the fixture earlier on Friday.
"We were confident that the pitch was good," Ewing told BBC Scotland. "Some of the Rangers staff arrived and the next thing there were discussions with the SFA and they wanted to send the referee along.
"It's their game and we've got to abide by that. It was a local referee that was called out and in our view it was only a precaution.
"We played in the Betfred Cup a couple of games here after a long, dry summer and I would absolutely say the pitch was harder then that it is now."

This local referee thing is really driving me up the wall. Wtf does that even mean?

Surely the referee for the match in question goes onto the pitch with a representative from each club?

I'll tell you something else, any tie that has to be called off like this should be see the rearranged fixture treated as a replay and switched to the other teams venue

It was us that pushed for the postponement mate.

I’m going to call this just now. The ‘local referee’ has interests benefitting from Rangers’ fixture list being squeezed.

This isnt going to be well received but who was our official and what was he expecting? He isn't in Tenerife this week, and the bad news is, that pitch isn't getting much better. We are forecast to be cold, not freezing all the time but cold for a few weeks now. I hooe to fck we haven't had somebody being pernickity.

Apparently a LOCAL referee said the pitch was unplayable. Excuse my ignorance but isn't it supposed to be the official match referee that makes this decision rather than some amatuer referee who has nothing to do with the game.

Local refs are used if the match official won’t be arriving for a while, it’s quite commonplace, they try and get games off early if needs be to save fans travelling.

It was us that pushed for the postponement mate.
I'm intrigued by our official. Long serving official? When does he expect this pitch to be much better? He is aware if the forecast.

I'm extremely sceptical about this. Even if the entire pitch isn't of a sandy construction and given it's location it's probably not, this isn't a penetrating frost. I'd be scunnered if i was the groundsman and somebody else deeming your surface not up to scratch due to a couple of light frosts.

I’m going to call this just now. The ‘local referee’ has interests benefitting from Rangers’ fixture list being squeezed.

Rangers wanted the postponement so there's no need for the paranoia mate.

bored-gif-2.gif

Anything on the TV?

From the other thread:

Both the Cowdenbeath Chairman, I think, and Gary Bollan were on Superscoreboard and admitted that parts of the ground were "firm/hard". If there are parts still frozen it will only get worse by kick off time never mind by the time the game is finished.

The SFA have also made comment saying it was them who insisted on an inspection after being touch with Cowdenbeath throughout the day.

Also, seems it’s snowing in Cowdenbeath right now.

Back