Match Thread Cowdenbeath v Rangers - 19:45 Wednesday - Premier Sports

I might sound like a broken record but ryan jack offers us very little in the middle of the park I dont think he should be a starter for us & davis was poor tonight aswell in all honesty.

i hope Stevie G puts in a complaint that officiating was as bad as ive seen for a long time
The ref (Thomson) that’s being putting the boot into us decision wise long and weary and the club chose to single Collum out while ignoring this absolute chancer, just shows the level of incompetence running our club.
Once again they will ignore Thomson’s decision to give Cowdenbeath the sympathy vote at the penalty while ignoring the Davis one that was 10 times more of a penalty.
Second half performance was very unprofessional and showed how much we’re lacking in a quality squad.

Played well first half. Penalty gave Cowdenbeath a spur and they played well. Thought Katic, Davis and Jack played well. Not pretty but saw the game out with no injuries. Happy with that. First eleven back at weekend for the league. Onwards to next game.

I agree Katic, Jack and Davis, whilst not playing at their best, were probably the only 3 players who put in a shift for the entire 90 minutes. Lottery of a pitch but some of the others need to have a good look at themselves for, in particular, that second half.

Nevertheless, job done, no injuries. Onwards and upwards.

Brutal second half but job done. In a couple of weeks this will be a distant memory but most of that team wont be turning out regular.

Bit of praise due for Cowdenbeath,played well second half and their fitness levels for a part time club were excellent

I just cant see big lafferty making much of a contribution tbh.. just my opinion but I just think hees very good...Defoe I will give time but he looked lost up front tonight.doesnt help when he's getting balls punted high into the area..

Dire surface and the the usual from the cheating tim.

Defoe looks a bit nonexistent in the frontline compared to Morelos. I thought we should have went for a striker who is a threat in the air and physical, to add something needed to our team.

Not that Defoe is a bad player - I just don’t think we will benefit greatly from this type of player in our league. We should have went for a player who could be used to attack some of these tremendous Barisic supplied crosses.

I might sound like a broken record but ryan jack offers us very little in the middle of the park I dont think he should be a starter for us & davis was poor tonight aswell in all honesty.

Your head buried in the sand when you watched the game?

His distribution was fantastic.

Dire surface and the the usual from the cheating tim.

Defoe looks a bit nonexistent in the frontline compared to Morelos. I thought we should have went for a striker who is a threat in the air and physical, to add something needed to our team.

Not that Defoe is a bad player - I just don’t think we will benefit greatly from this type of player in our league. We should have went for a player who could be used to attack some of these tremendous Barisic supplied crosses.
I know what you mean Defoe can’t hold the ball up like Alfredo. He can’t really play with his back to the goal and I thought he only looked good when he ran at a defender near the end and played a through ball when we nearly got a penalty.

We won, but some poor displays from a few. I think it's becoming very clear who will and won't make it. Also id like to note that morelos is more effective than defoe and lafferty putogether.

far to many long balls for it not to have been part of the managers plan , dont have a problem with it , but the execution was rubbish with nearly every ball massively over hit .

Happy that we are through and a good lesson for Defoe, Davis and others that Scottish football is not a cakewalk

Must have caught the forum in a good mood, judging by some of the replies.

I don’t think we were impressive in the first half, comfortable maybe without playing very well. The second half we were god awful. Overall, I’m struggling to give any player a pass mark. Granted it wasn’t an easy pitch but there wasn’t a player out there tonight that done themselves any favors. About the only positive is that we are through to the next round.

And as for Thomson, the poster who posted last season that he was retiring at the end of it, thanks for nothing....

Worst stadium I’ve been to. Fucking freezing. 2nd half was a disgrace.

Son and myself were standing at the corner flag behind the goal that never had a terracing.
Made it to the final whistle, but lots of our fans were walking past us leaving when the second goal went in. Don't blame them, it was Baltic.
Hell of a stadium.
Best laugh was the steward woman on the grassy bank trying to keep our supporters on the concrete terracing.
Lost her footing fell on her erse and slipped down the grassy bank.
At least she laughed about it.

Always big difference of view between screen watchers and bears that made the trip.A bit like January get it out the road.Time to put a run together and challenge the horrible lot.This is our time.Lets go let's do it.They are crumbling!

Not pretty but job done. Into next round. Massive February ahead. C'mon Rangers. #LetsGo

I think Defoe will be an asset at Ibrox against teams with packed defences.

He has looked sluggish so far but he has hardly played for 18 months.

Feel rougher this morning and only had 4 beers last night.

Was out until 5:30 on Sunday and back on it for 10:00am Sunday before Livingston and wasn’t too bad Monday.

F*cked from last night tired isn’t the word. I could fall asleep doing a shit.

Shite trip, shite ground, but into the next round.

I reckon I was in the 10%. I reckon it's now more but why the %^*& did we sign Jermaine Defoe????? When will we learn???

Please prove me wrong

Because we need strength in depth. He is a huge upgrade on both Sadiq and Lafferty. It is always going to be very difficult for any striker joining us though because game time is going to be limited. If Morelos is fit then obviously he starts and it's very difficult to play 4-4-2 in today's game. We will likely only see the best of Defoe if Morelos gets injured but hopefully that won't happen.

A win, and a tortuous second half. The blue Brazil made a fight of it. Thank god Laff managed a third right on half-time. Was it just me or did we look jittery after they scored? It was the same at Killie - we became nervous after screwing up at 1-1. Nerves? We certainly gave Cowdenbeath time on the ball after it was 3-1 and one of their young lads had the ball in the net, but thankfully ruled offside. I got angry after that, shouting at the telly. It really goes to show that McCrorie's positioning is a key difference to minimise the opposition from driving a coach and horses through our sometimes exposed defence. Still, it was a good win, but we will have to play a clever game against Killie. No mistakes.

Bit of a mixed bag last night. Will take the win but a disappointing performance in the 2nd took the shine off the 1st 45.
A few players looked like they were disinterested & just going through the motions.
That fcuking ref though:mad:

We were awful in the second half.

However, rather than buy into the theory that Cowdenbeath 'bossed' it or 'had us ruffled' or any of the other nonsense spouted in the media, I'm content to take the more traditional approach that would be adopted for any top-division team other than Rangers participating in that match last night.

Quite clearly the pitch deteriorated badly, we took our foot off the gas and simply wanted to see out the game without injury. That's what they'd be saying if it had been the Dhims or the Sheep - so why not us?

This graphic was posted on another thread and shows the stats for the second half. Yes, I say it again, we were awful. However, we still dominated possession, we still had more attempts at goal, we still had more shots on target, we still had more corners, we conceded fewer free kicks and our goalkeeper made just a single save. 'Bossed by Cowden'? My arse.

Back