Cowen and Dublin

It was without doubt one of the worst commentaries I’ve ever had to suffer. Truly brutal. Gave up listening eventually

They gave us the worst 90 minutes of commentary I've ever heard ( that is a bold statement with crocker etc)

Just talked absolute fucking drivel the whole game with the insight of two Sunday league players

Is this what the BBC have come to?
Danny Murphy,
I rest my luggage.

They gave us the worst 90 minutes of commentary I've ever heard ( that is a bold statement with crocker etc)

Just talked absolute fucking drivel the whole game with the insight of two Sunday league players

The decline of the BBC is genuinely sad KR. Re this particular commentary, didn’t catch it myself, but Dublin is useless. And is the woman the one who shouts all the time? Excruciating.

I’ve edited your post.

I’m a huge supporter of women watching, playing, refereeing football.

But they should have no place whatsoever in the men’s game. There is an entire women’s game for women to play, referee and be pundits upon
There's some decent female journalists that pop up on the usual podcasts. Amy Lawrence, Natalie Gedra, nicky bandini (ahem). But robyn Cowan is brutal. Pops up on football weekly every now and again, and did football clichés as well but she's awful. Adds nothing.

It really was utter earache from start to finish. Truly diabolical. Eventually had to mute it in the second half.

I'm glad ot wasn't just me. She is easily the worst commentator I've ever heard! Complete drivel from begining to end and Dublin was just as bad. "you've got to set fire to it with the laces" was one that sticks in my mind.

The BBC are really just pathetic in their presentation of this WC. Having said that they have been on a downward spiral for quite a few years now. It’s sad to see after having been spoilt with the likes of David Coleman Barry Davies, Tony Gubba back in the seventies.

Was horrific.
The wee fckin "jokes" between each other were the height of absolute cringe.

It's bad when listening to Sutton on 5live is the better option.
Sutton on Radio 5 this morning did a quiz about players at this WC. He had one minute to name one player from each team. He got three! He spent most of the minute telling us about Maeda of Celtic and ran out of time. He does love the sound of his own voice as much as he loves Celtic.

Dion "you've obviously not seen me in training" Dublin is a real hoot. Not even good in Homes Under the Hammer ffs.

I hate the English commentary and watch all games on Dutch TV. They just have a commentator and no pundits talking shite

Actually don't mind Dion Dublin. At least he sounds as if he wants to be there which is more than you can say for the dour face cunts like Dixon, Keown, Murphy etc.

Actually don't mind Dion Dublin. At least he sounds as if he wants to be there which is more than you can say for the dour face cunts like Dixon, Keown, Murphy etc.
Has Dublin done other commentary gigs before because that was amateur hour

It was really bad but at least they got some quota points. The quality of pundit and commentators in football in general is truly woeful.

Reactions: TNT
Keown said something the last time he was on that was utterly retarded..

Can't remember exactly but it was a belter in terms of stupidity.

Have you heard Danny Murphy?
Almost makes mark lawrenson sound happy.

But when games have been on at the same time and one has a female commentator, I watch the other one. They are all dreadful.

As someone else said above. Box ticking.

Easy to just go down the box-ticking route of criticism but there’s white men like Dixon, Keown (“the losing team needs to move the ball quicker”) or Murphy (who at this point is a Mark Lawrenson tribute act).

The disconnect between the BBC/ITV with their audience on this is a joke. Get folk like McCoist, Townsend & Alex Scott in so we can enjoy the commentary.

Loved it when Dion said Lewandowski should just run up and strike it at the pen re-take. Isn't that what all penalty takers do -- run up and strike it?
To be fair that’s not always the case nowadays- some skip and hop like a wee lassie playing in a field of daisies for a perfume advert.

She said " it won't effect the scoreline " after Poland scored.

She's absolutely chronic. Never liked her since she started on MOTD a few years back and the plaudits she got during the women's Euros in the summer baffled me.

Dublin said France were "controlling the game and making it look really easy" and her response was "and they make it look effortless as well" as if that's not exactly the point he'd just made.

A fucking waste of air the pair of them.

I really do not know why folk get so upset about commentators and their side kicks .
There haven’t been many over the years who have offered anything towards the enjoyment of a game , if you watch football regularly you don’t need them to spell out what’s happening.
Really not worth getting worked up about.

She is a nightmare and shouts a lot of the time. Only there for quotas, This WC has been awful for female overload.

I am dipping in and out of this world cup. If I am honest its boring me to tears.

I switched on at the start of the second half for the France/Poland game, I heard Dublin was commentating and that monotone female commentator and I thought %^*& here we go, then I noticed there was next to no sound from the crowd, the stadium looked half full, you hear the players very clearly shouting like it was a closed doors match during covid. It was grim, turned off after France second as I was just bored.

Same with the England game watched 20 mins of the first half then about 30 of the second half, I thought Senegal were absolutely stinking. I mean the pundits tried to build it up more as if Senegal were good but they were mid table to lower end EPL standard, yet they are champions of Africa, I think that shows how bad the rest of Africa is. As for Lee Dixon commentating, its pathetic. He should've been dropped a long time ago.

Hartson, Dixon, Pearce, Dublin, all the female commentators have all been extremely poor. Dublin and Hartson being the worst. Pundits, Shearer etc all just manage to turn every conversation round to England, boring as hell. As for Alex Scott, she was actually good when she started out, talked a bit of sense but now she just manages to turn every single topic round to her and something she has done. Her ego has taken over.

The BBC are really just pathetic in their presentation of this WC. Having said that they have been on a downward spiral for quite a few years now. It’s sad to see after having been spoilt with the likes of David Coleman Barry Davies, Tony Gubba back in the seventies.
A real blast from the past there. Loved his commentary.

I am dipping in and out of this world cup. If I am honest its boring me to tears.

I switched on at the start of the second half for the France/Poland game, I heard Dublin was commentating and that monotone female commentator and I thought %^*& here we go, then I noticed there was next to no sound from the crowd, the stadium looked half full, you hear the players very clearly shouting like it was a closed doors match during covid. It was grim, turned off after France second as I was just bored.

Same with the England game watched 20 mins of the first half then about 30 of the second half, I thought Senegal were absolutely stinking. I mean the pundits tried to build it up more as if Senegal were good but they were mid table to lower end EPL standard, yet they are champions of Africa, I think that shows how bad the rest of Africa is. As for Lee Dixon commentating, its pathetic. He should've been dropped a long time ago.

Hartson, Dixon, Pearce, Dublin, all the female commentators have all been extremely poor. Dublin and Hartson being the worst. Pundits, Shearer etc all just manage to turn every conversation round to England, boring as hell. As for Alex Scott, she was actually good when she started out, talked a bit of sense but now she just manages to turn every single topic round to her and something she has done. Her ego has taken over.
I suppose they have to learn the skill, and they can only do that by commentating. The female pundits, with the exception of Aluko, have generally been good, although at one point I thought Alex Scott was presenting in place of Chappers - he looked pissed off about it too.

The female presenters have been excellent, while some of the male pundits have been truly awful. Dublin, Murphy, Dixon and the walking clusterfuck that is Hartson.

Pochetinno last night was a shit show.

Jurgen Kilnsmann is by far the best pundit, articulate, intelligent, insightful someone who played the game at the very top level. It also goes without saying that his commend of English is also better than the incoherent rambling of many of the rest. And I'm not just saying that because he used to have a Rangers Supporters Club named after him.

When i watch old clips on youtube and i hear Barry Davies on the mic i could weep for the state of modern commentating.
Dozens of people paid a fortune to go over to Qatar without a sentient, or insightful thought between them.

We just want someone who can identify the players, call the plays and add the occasional bit of colour to proceedings. Who told these people the viewers want them to fill every single second with their voices?

Back