Craig Halkett.

He did much more than match Morelos, he had him all game, fair play to him.
Couldn’t understand why Morelos kept trying to outmuscle him and the other defenders and failing, the one time he played off his man he burst through.

After watching him today I had to wonder why I watched the likes of McCulloch, Moshni and Kiernan in the Championship when we had him available.

He's still only about 22 or something mate. A couple of years can make a big difference at that age, especially with physique. I think the lad has found his level. The reality is that both ourselves and the puddle drinkers do a vast amount of developing young talent that ultimately end up at the other teams in the leagues. Just how it goes I guess. He had an excellent game today, but I'm sure with a few others he felt he had an additional point to prove.

He was highly rated by Durrant and he wanted McCoist to give him a go. Unfortunately McCoist wasn't interested.

Him and his family are big gets fans as well.

Scored against us when they won 1-0 before.

I said to a mate during the game that he's the first player I've watched who has managed to outmuscle Morelos throughout a match.

Sometimes players can only develop so far at a club like ours and staying won't get to the level of the first team
They need to leave to reach their potential.

Out of contract next year and would be worth keeping an eye on.

The lad was very impressive and I have a wee sneaky feeling we may also come to rue not promoting Kelly to no. 2 when he was with us.

Asked the Livi Chairman who I dined with in Hospitality today who their best player was and he said Craig Halkett was easily the best player at the club.

He warned me we'd be in for a hard time as Holt has them very well organised and difficult to beat. Me being me said we'd hump them 3 -0. Needless to say he couldn't wait to come back and see me after the game.............ate so much humble pie I'm still choking.

The lad was very impressive and I have a wee sneaky feeling we may also come to rue not promoting Kelly to no. 2 when he was with us.
Difficult to judge Kelly today, as we basically never tested him.
But he gobbled up every cross that came close to his area of responsibility.

Says a lot about us today that their keeper never had to put a real shift in.

Last edited:
Difficult to judge Kelly today, as we basically never tested him.
But he gobbled up ever cross that came close to his area of responsibility.

Says a lot about us today that their keeper never had to put a real shift in.

Spot on! Actually, I wasn`t referring to Kelly`s performance today because as you rightly say, he was never tested, but I had watched him a number of times and kept tabs on him as he went through our ranks and I really thought he was a no. 1 in waiting. Who knows? He might yet be.

Well done to the lad.
I thought he was tremendous today and probably matched Morelos for strength as well as anyone has in this league.
What was he like in our youth sides?

Sure I remember he captained the side when with us and was the cornerstone that Gasperotto and others looked up to.

Like others have said, might be the case that he just wasn't ready when he was with us, but when you think back to some of the dross we played at centre-back, I really think McCoist has the blinkers on.

Spot on! Actually, I wasn`t referring to Kelly`s performance today because as you rightly say, he was never tested, but I had watched him a number of times and kept tabs on him as he went through our ranks and I really thought he was a no. 1 in waiting. Who knows? He might yet be.
Interesting.
He certainly seems to be doing well at Livi given their defensive record.
I will keep an eye out myself now.

After watching him today I had to wonder why I watched the likes of McCulloch, Moshni and Kiernan in the Championship when we had him available.
We did try Hegarty and Perry, to name two.
This idea that we seeme to have that we should have played the kids and that they’d have got us there quicker, is a bit of a falicy in all honesty.
Tell me, how well have our youth teams done, or anybody else’s, when they’ve been pitched against senior sides in the league cup?

My kid who is 10 said the centre backs for Livingston were really strong an physical

Just wondered which 1 hacket was

Also something happened after full time with a Livingston player
An I thought it was Morelos

My kid who is 10 said the centre backs for Livingston were really strong an physical

Just wondered which 1 hacket was
Your ten-year-old kid was spot on.
The other centre back was Lithgow who was the taller of the two and who was dangerous at set pieces.
Halkett was the shorter stocky one with the dark beard and the captain's armband.
I have just looked it up and his squad number was 26.

Your ten-year-old kid was spot on.
The other centre back was Lithgow who was the taller of the two and who was dangerous at set pieces.
Halkett was the shorter stocky one with the dark beard and the captain's armband.
I have just looked it up and his squad number was 26.

Ye cheers
Morelos struggled today
They stood up to his physicality

Ye cheers
Morelos struggled today
They stood up to his physicality
Yes, there might actually have been a case for taking Morelos off and leaving Lafferty on, looking back at the game in hindsight.
It showed Morelos's lack of experience, he wasn't winning the physical battle and wasn't getting a decision from Thomson, yet he persisted when he should have changed his game and stood off the defenders more and just took them on with his ball skills on the floor, which are actually very good.
He needed to be cuter today.
Hopefully, he will learn.

I said at half time
1 of the 2 need to come off
An I’d have took off Morelos

As it looked like we were going high from wide areas
An lafferty also attacks the near post when crosses are coming from the same side

Something I’ve never seen Morelos do

Their defence towered over our players today, however, they play to their strengths as a unit. He's like an old fashioned CH. Fair play to him.

Well done to the lad.
I thought he was tremendous today and probably matched Morelos for strength as well as anyone has in this league.
What was he like in our youth sides?

They were extremely well drilled. We obviously were very poor but they deserved credit. Very comfortable at the back and probably should’ve won by more if we are being honest.

He left gers as we didn't give him a chance even though we were in bottom leagues.
He did the right thing by leaving and progressing his career.
I know the boy and his family. From Kirkintilloch and they are rangers through and through.

Can remember Halkett being highly rated as a youngster. Fair play to him for going elsewhere and making it.

Liam Kelly also very unlucky not to make it with us. The club have obviously made the decision they see Robby McCrorie as the future number 1 ahead of him.

We could probably make about 3 teams of players we’ve let go at an early age only for them to come back to haunt us. The ratio between the ones who broke into the 1st team and stayed as regulars to those let go is way out of kilter. Now I know players can have exceptional games and look world beaters but after watching the dross over the past few years , it does make you think that some gems were binned too early.
It’s heartening to hear Gerrard talk about coaching the youngsters that come into the 1st team too as all too often in the past it’s been a case of job done , you’re in the big team so no need for anymore coaching.

If we don’t get centre half’s turning they all look like superstars. That said the lad did really well as did the keeper and I hope they keep it going through the season.

Back