Craig Whyte Sevco firm wins costs in £5m court fight over Rangers buy-out deal

Syme

Sevco 5088 was set up by Whyte to purchase the Ibrox club but a court heard Charles Green's Sevco Scotland ended up taking control.

A company once owned by shamed former-Rangers boss Craig Whyte has been awarded legal costs by a High Court judge in London.
Sevco 5088 was set up by Whyte and other associates to purchase the business and assets of the indebted Glasgow club in 2012.
A firm called Wavetower had previously been used by Whyte to buy Rangers for £1 from Sir David Murray in 2011 before the club suffered financial meltdown in February the following year.
Sevco 5088 claims it was set to buy the business and assets of the distressed club from the administrators in 2012.
But Sevco 5088 – which is no longer linked to Whyte – claim the firm was “deprived of the opportunity” when one of its directors set up a new company called Sevco Scotland to purchase the club instead.
The firm claims that another former Rangers owner – Charles Green – diverted more than £5million from its coffers to Sevco Scotland to buy out the club without its agreement.
It won its claim to claw back legal costs from its former finance chief Imran Ahmad at the High Court in London on Monday.
Ahmad allegedly helped Green in his plan to purchase the club from the administrators with the other company and acted as a “de facto director” of Sevco Scotland during the time of the buy-out – a claim he denies.
A judge heard Ahmad did not respond to letters from Sevco 5088's legal team when they demanded the £5.1m back and only made contact when the High Court made a default judgement in their favour earlier this year.
He then submitted a defence statement explaining why he should not have to pay the money and the claimant’s legal team agreed to back his application to set aside the judgment. This was accepted by Deputy Master Andrew Bartlett QC but he ordered the legal team’s fees be paid.
An initial figure of £32,000 was put forward by James Morgan QC, acting for Sevco 5088, but Master Bartlett said this would be reduced.
Delivering judgement he said: “This case concerns the transfer of the Rangers Football Club in 2012.
“The club was in fact sold but not to the claimant, it was sold to a different company. It effectively stepped into the shoes of the claimant.
“The money deposited was used for that purchase.
Sevco Scotland had recently been incorporated and both Mr Green and Mr Ahmad were directors of that company.
“And Mr Green was also a director of the claimant company.
“Mr Ahmad was in law strictly not a director.
“There is a hotly contested issue in this case as to whether in the period leading up to and the period of these events he was acting as a de facto director of this company.
“There is no doubt that Sevco Scotland operated the club.
The claimant’s case in simple terms is that this was a theft of the opportunity to acquire the club from it – which was prepared by Mr Green and Mr Ahmed and that Mr Green and Mr Ahmad simply diverted this opportunity to a different company and deprived the claimant of it.”
The legal costs relate to the subsequent chasing of the claimant’s legal team of Mr Ahmad, who is believed to now be living in Pakistan.
Letters were sent to his last known address in Hertfordshire but his solicitors wrote back to say only his ex-wife lived there.
He added that to this day Ahmad has still not provided any explanation as to why he had not responded to the letters about the default judgement.
Green was not present or represented at the hearing.
Whyte is not involved in this case as he is no longer a director of Sevco 5088.

Absolute crooked fuckers should be slung in jail imo

So, does this not mean then that Green was already a part of a ‘team’ that Whyte had set up? And that whyte was effectively looking to sell the assets back to himself with Green in cahoots?! This could explain why he wanted his own admins and why some say he only panicked when he thought that wouldn’t happen. He expected to sell the assets back to himself. kennedy, Murray etc were all never gonna get the chance because those scumbags were all working together and then Green hoodwinked Whyte and screwed him over. Feckin scandalous.

All this decision relates to is the previous decree against Ahmad being recalled and he being allowed to lodge defences to Sevco 5088’s action late.

The expenses of the wasted procedure to date have beeen awarded against him

The substance of the case will now go on to be heard later.

Basically he hadn’t entered process and decree had been granted against him by default. He’s now been allowed to enter process and defend the action but is paying for the costs of the action to date.

On a related point, there’s an interesting judgment reported here (which I found when looking to see if there was a court report issued in this case against Ahmed):

https://www.bailii.org/scot/cases/ScotCS/2018/[2018]_CSOH_93.pdf

which I hadn’t seen before. It is the outcome of a hearing in the case raised by Whitehouse (D&P) against the Crown and the police.

It’s very lengthy but the first half sets out a lot of the shenanigans which went on in the course of the criminal case.

Crown’s Case appears to have been an absolute clusterf**k if Whitehouse’s claims are true.

There’s the suggestion the Crown withheld evidence which was exculpatory of him, for example.

Still doubt he’ll win as the extent of immunity in cases like this is pretty substantial (and one element of his case was struck out on this ground.)

Last edited:
That's a lesson learned kids. Don't study, become an inept, useless businessman with the morals of a wild dog and jsut set back. The money will roll right in.

So, does this not mean then that Green was already a part of a ‘team’ that Whyte had set up? And that whyte was effectively looking to sell the assets back to himself with Green in cahoots?! This could explain why he wanted his own admins and why some say he only panicked when he thought that wouldn’t happen. He expected to sell the assets back to himself. kennedy, Murray etc were all never gonna get the chance because those scumbags were all working together and then Green hoodwinked Whyte and screwed him over. Feckin scandalous.
I thought this had been known for some time?

Ahmad stuck in a shitehole like Pakistan. At least karma of sorts.

We should be forever grateful that Dave king managed to outmanoeuvre these snakes.

Those ranting about his statement yesterday have very short memories about how bad things were before he ousted them, be careful what you wish for.
Bang on whyte done him over too how he got his hands on our club is beyond me I hate Murray more than any of them he made that choice that kicked it all off

Thank god, we had the rangers supporters, with this cabal, Scottish football, police, legal system all against us how we survived is a miracle,, never forget

When reading through various posts on here it really is staggering how many of our fans just did/do not grasp how close we came to losing our club,as you say Barclay never forget.

So Whyte has sold on his claim and some no win no fee types are trying to get some coin out of Ahmed ?

Good luck with that..

Painful reading that. It's the fans that suffered, no one else; we should always have that mind and no one should forget that ever. I won't ever want any club to go through what this club had gone through, but any doubts the fans are the lifeblood of the game fall flat right here. The fans of this club are a credit not just to this club, but to football itself; not enough has been said or done to recognise that. But one day, the fans of this period will be as remembered as the Gallant Pioneers

Something is very very wrong with the Scottish Legal System.

One or more persons within it are able to manipulate evidence to suit other people’s agenda, and there is enough Political protection to enable this interference of evidence and processes to happen without fear of being uncovered or challenged.

It still makes my blood boil that a whole nest of vipers was able to get its claws into our wonderful football club and very nearly strangled it to death.
I will always be grateful to the current board for what they’ve done for Rangers FC. Without their intervention I’d hate to see where we’d be right now.
Above all, we witnessed the loyalty of our supporters. We refused to go away. We refused to allow the haters to win. We stood tall and strong.
We did not surrender.
We will never surrender.

Last edited:
https://www.heraldscotland.com/news...-police-and-prosecutors-over-wrongful-arrest/

The fact police scotland and the crown fxxked up another case that damaged Rangers raises a huge question in itself.

Nobody connected to this deserves to be breathing free air.

Green, whyte, ahmed and others around them should be in jail and those at police scotland and the crown who made a complete mess of prosecuting these scumbags should have either been sacked & shamed or investigated for deliberately messing up the case.

Genuinely can't believe they've all got away with it tbh. Wasn't it something like £70m which has disappeared through our books?

The court case was a sham as well. I remember reading the updates every day and just thinking there's no way a jury is qualified to pass judgement on such complex financial/business matters.

How Craig Whyte has been allowed to wander about since 2012 without coming into harms way ill never know
As much as he’s portrayed to be living the high life by the Daily Rhebel etc, he must be living in fear. Unlikely we’ll see him living in Scotland again, unless he’s showing up for court.

And let’s not forget that fat slug Ashley.

Who are that walking heart attack’s administrators of choice?

That’s right. Duff and Duffer.

Genuinely can't believe they've all got away with it tbh. Wasn't it something like £70m which has disappeared through our books?

The court case was a sham as well. I remember reading the updates every day and just thinking there's no way a jury is qualified to pass judgement on such complex financial/business matters.
Dead right here.
I know there was a move in legal circles to move to what amounted to, pretty much, “professional jurors” for a lot of fraud type cases.
Came to nothing as it’d be a massive upheaval in a basic tenet of the law.
This was way before the 2012 though.

Whyte, Green and Stockbridge were all registered under the same company in 2011 I am sure and Whyte was also part of the company that owned Rangers after Admin.

Especially when packed with Rangers haters and Septic supporters.

Back