Credit to the gaffer tonight

He does deserve credit but how could he not see our formation needed changed v the way they were playing in the first half.
I know we could’ve and should’ve scored a couple earlier but the space we gave them was frightening.
Aribo came on at 1-0 although some others on another thread seem to think he came on for barisic at 2-0 down...
Tremendous fight back.. but as someone already mentioned, I hope the learnings are there

He does deserve credit but how could he not see our formation needed changed v the way they were playing in the first half.
I know we could’ve and should’ve scored a couple earlier but the space we gave them was frightening.
Aribo came on at 1-0 although some others on another thread seem to think he came on for barisic at 2-0 down...
Tremendous fight back.. but as someone already mentioned, I hope the learnings are there

It's pretty difficult at the top level to drastically alter a formation without gettin the chance to talk the players through it at, for example, half time. It's no Sunday league where you just chuck Mad Dave on and go 352.

He got it right. He usually does on these nights. Well done gaffer.

It's pretty difficult at the top level to drastically alter a formation without gettin the chance to talk the players through it at, for example, half time. It's no Sunday league where you just chuck Mad Dave on and go 352.

He got it right. He usually does on these nights. Well done gaffer.
Take your point. Just felt it was so obv that our full backs had to match theirs to cut them off..
seemed like Tav and Goldson, then Katic and Barisic done a lot of looking at each other as if saying ‘should I go close him or not’
Personally thought that’s why we were easy pickings at times.
Fix that and I think we can get a result over there... but it’ll be bloody tough

Making the Aribo sub when he did was vital.
Usually too late before he changes it.
Must have been reading the match thread :)):))

I have been very critical of Gerrard's use of subs but he got it bang on tonight. I thought the idea of keeping Kamara on as long as he did was wrong and probably still is. However, bringing on Kamara was the right thing to do and moving Aribo back to left back whilst bringing Stewart on really just worked.

Take your point. Just felt it was so obv that our full backs had to match theirs to cut them off..
seemed like Tav and Goldson, then Katic and Barisic done a lot of looking at each other as if saying ‘should I go close him or not’
Fix that and I think we can get a result over there... but it’ll be bloody tough

Yip you're spot on mate. Let's hope!

Clearly gone through them at half time.

Made the required changes at the right time and got a reaction.

Earned his corn last night. More of the same please.

The press from us changed in the 2nd half. 1st half Arfield and Kamara where asked to get out to the fullbacks which didnt happen on the left hand side especially. 2nd half Tav pushed up Goldson and Katic pulled round and Arfield stayed central to block the midfield switch. It stopped them playing wing to wing but they still got out on our left but we had aribo in at left back with Kamberi in front of him.

I was actually surprised that kamara started second half, Gerrard must have been letting him to to reset himself.

I really thought that Gerrard was going to wait till kamara caused another goal to change it, luckily he didn't wait or it could have been worse than it was at that point.

Subs changed the momentum of the game. Well done Stevie.

I felt Kamara was the one causing the problems
When it’s jack and arfield one of them covers left the other right and Davis sits. Kamara was all over the place and Davis and arfield were getting dragged out of shape. A quick switch was leaving us exposed.

It’s pisses me off how long it takes to make a change after he’s decided it’s happening. Must have been 5 minutes for Aribo. Stewart coming on took an age with us down to 10... surely if a player is down getting treatment you have your change getting his tracksuit off and doing whatever else they seem to need to do before being ready just in case.

Grumpy bastard but it grinds my gears and could cost us.

I have been very critical of his subs since SG came here. He did get lucky when Glen nearly cost another goal as to be honest he should have been off at HT.
However when he did make the changes they totally changed the game.
Deserves the criticism at times but last night he deserves the praise.

I
It’s pisses me off how long it takes to make a change after he’s decided it’s happening. Must have been 5 minutes for Aribo. Stewart coming on took an age with us down to 10... surely if a player is down getting treatment you have your change getting his tracksuit off and doing whatever else they seem to need to do before being ready just in case.

I thought the same. Took too long and seemed about eighteen years longer.

I was actually surprised that kamara started second half, Gerrard must have been letting him to to reset himself.

I really thought that Gerrard was going to wait till kamara caused another goal to change it, luckily he didn't wait or it could have been worse than it was at that point.

As much as I would have hooked Kamara at half time, Gerrard obviously gave him the opportunity to turn it around. Within minutes he’d gifted Braga the ball yet again and off he went.

It was decent man management I thought.

I am the first to shout him down for his subs but last night he got it right, making the change on or around 55 minutes was correct rather than throwing two guys on in 83 mins to change a game!

Cap doffed and credit where it is due.

He got it right today.. we should have scored 5 tonight

Real hope we can open them up on the break away

As much as I would have hooked Kamara at half time, Gerrard obviously gave him the opportunity to turn it around. Within minutes he’d gifted Braga the ball yet again and off he went.

It was decent man management I thought.

Yeah that was my thinking.

His confidence was shot to feck last night, I felt bad for kamara because you could see he was uncomfortable out there last night.

Decent subs from the Gaffer last night.

Yes, we nearly lost one very early second half due to a really poor pass.

R

Really don't understand why players are not sitting ready to go rather than having to faff about fixing tops, shin pads, mascara etc.

Spot on with his subs,particularly pleased he put Greg Stewart on as he could have went for AH and we needed another threat going forward. Fist half our passing was a bit awry,but didn't take the chances we had,their first is a peach and no keeper is saving that. But what a turnaround and a great response from the team after going two down. Hopefully that will kick us on in the league.

I genuinely had no idea Aribo could play left back. I thought it was mental last night. But i know nothing.

The way we ask our full backs to be so advanced really helps GL.

Borna & Tav are Expected to play so advanced that the position probably needs at least as much in attacking ability than defensive ability.

He’s strong & pacy too, so I really hope we consider Joe in there again when Borna’s injured.

I felt Kamara was the one causing the problems
When it’s jack and arfield one of them covers left the other right and Davis sits. Kamara was all over the place and Davis and arfield were getting dragged out of shape. A quick switch was leaving us exposed.

They were very cute tactically. Their full backs pushed right up and wide, we didnt know how to combat that until the second half. Our full backs therefore didn't get forward as much as usual, they then outnumbered us in the middle of the park and gave us the runaround with Hagi and Kent passengers in that first half. We should have been able to combat that earlier. The subs certainly made a difference to the game.

I've been on about the manager being brave with his subs and also managing the game in front of him.
He did it last night, still not sure what the thinking was but he was brave and deserved the wee bit of luck, too.
Keep it up, Stevie.

Last edited:

Yes and why, for me when a player is fouled and has to go off the player that committed the foul should go off for the same amount of time, why should a team that causes the foul be allowed to keep 11 players on the field when they caused a team to go down to 10 men in the first place.

They were very cute tactically. Their full backs pushed right up and wide, we didnt know how to combat that until the second half. Our full backs therefore didn't get forward as much as usual, they then outnumbered us in the middle of the park and gave us the runaround with Hagi and Kent passengers in that first half. We should have been able to combat that earlier. The subs certainly made a difference to the game.

It was a 3-4-3 in attack and a 5-4-1 in defence for them. Braga are a very good team and are more than capable of winning the competition. Great experience for our players

Yes and why, for me when a player is fouled and has to go off the player that committed the foul should go off for the same amount of time, why should a team that causes the foul be allowed to keep 11 players on the field when they caused a team to go down to 10 men in the first place.

I think if a player gets injured from a yellow / red cArd tackle he’s allowed immediate treatment on the pitch and doesn’t need to go off. If it takes longer that changes though. I’d introduce a rule in that situation a temporary sub is allowed for up to 5 minutes.

Everyone who has been suggesting bold changes have been getting the ‘Pep’ and ‘get back to Football Manager’ treatment - and they’ve been proved correct.

Bold changes, an alteration to the system and tactics - not common for Gerrard, but they won him the game on Thursday.

I still wish he had the option of a back three changing to a back five though, as a back four will never be enough to see us hold out for 90 over there.

Back