Croatia vs England

England can be optimistic for the future, as they have a lot of young players in the team just now. The question is whether they can build upon this for further improvement. So often they fail to reach their potential, despite having some excellent players,

Worst England team of the last 40 years.

Their draw allowed them to reach the semi's.

Kane was horrendous yet is going to walk away with the Golden Boot.
I don't get why he drops so deep he can't play the Kenny Miller role:D

In all serious I think a lot of that England team are very tactically naive

This place is nuts. For the record, I didn't think I really cared who won tonight, but once England went ahead, I realized that maybe subconsciously, I preferred Croatia. I'm not sure how much of that was down to want the underdog to get back in the game, to make it worth watching, but that's where I was.

England making the semi-final, regardless of opposition, was a great achievement. People basking in their failure and lumping on with criticism of the path are ridiculous. You could probably look back to almost every World Cup and see teams that had an easier path to the semi-final than England had. Think the mentally challengeds European Cup. The opposition to the final was crap. Think they give two shits about that today?
It was a young team, with limited leadership. I hate when team captains are goalkeepers or strikers. Captains should be defenders or midfielders. They have the best combination of involvement and view of the game. Kane is a great striker, but how can you captain your team from being the lone striker? It doesn't make sense. Understanding there was no better option, since the rest of the team was pretty inexperienced. Personally, I'd have played Cahill and made him captain. It's not like Walker was up to much in the back three.

Southgate's inexperience was found out in trying to match the Croatia midfield. Young, attacking and energetic doesn't match savvy. Alli and Lingard were non-existent. I felt a little bad for Henderson, but then I've always felt he hides a bit. Fine sitting-in defensively, but not willing to take responsibility going forward. When you're one central midfielder doesn't have both aspects of their game, you have no chance.

All-in, neither of these teams would have beaten France. It might have been fun to see a France-England final, but Croatia deserved it. Some of you should be happy with that, without feeling the need to stick the boot in.

Interesting post.
Leading 1-0 very early in the match...….a massive failure for England.

Last edited:
If i was an England fan i would be f###ing raging at Rashford for his TWO free-kicks before the finale whistle. What was he thinking with these chip-in balls? I have never understood how a professional football player can actually believe that these kind of freekicks (and corners) can work.
Just get the Ball into the box with power and drive and just hope for somebody to get a touch.
And apart from that i really hate it when a (center) forward takes corners and free-kicks from far away. Rashford should be in the middle and battling for a space, instead he wasted two good chances for his team.
I'd normally agree but their normal free kick taker was Trippier and he'd went off injured. Most of the other you'd want in the box because of their height.

I don't get why he drops so deep he can't play the Kenny Miller role:D

In all serious I think a lot of that England team are very tactically naive

I think England just froze in the second half. It is inexplicable how they collapsed from the 46th minute onwards when a goal up. The Croats then smelt blood and went for it.

Spurs are shite, apparently. They had Lloris,Dier,Kane, Alderweireld, Vertonghen,Alli, Modric, Trippier, Rose, Dembele, Chadli as players or ex players. Not bad, I'd say.
Modric hasn't played for Spurs for 6 years so that's a stretch but even giving you that one, 9 of those 11 are out on their arse and up the road before the final.

Got to be honest, that sounds like a Spurs performance. :D

Whatever happened to "The Quintessential British Club"?

I guess the 'Braveheart' myth holds greater sway...
This isn't a club game or club tournament, and international rivalries are as strong as club rivalries. Being the quintessential British club doesn't mean we have to support every British club side either. Rivalries are what competitive sport is all about.

"The all-round perception was that this is a new-look England who have changed their ways of punting long balls upfield but when we pressed them it turned out that they haven't."

Šime Vrsaljko with a deep burn there.

To be fair to the interviewer he did challenge Kane on his performance.

Sterling hardly matched his tournament performance though did he? So to suggest they’re on a par for criticism is a bit harsh.

Kane will be thinking about 1 minute. Sterling should be thinking about 200 ffs.

Sterling caused a lot problems. Outside of the Tunisia match Kane didn’t do an awful lot, bagged a few penalties and scored off an accidental deflection. Think that’s masked quite a sub par tournament for him individually

I agree he was a standout for me when he played.
He changed the game against Tunisia when he came on. I didn't see their next 2 group games so can't comment on them but i was surprised not to see more of him in the knockouts

I haven't said anything to the contrary - it's been a great tournament and tonight's game was tense and enjoyable.

At the same time, it's unavoidable to watch and not be disappointed that Scotland haven't qualified. After all, it's football not political. So why aren't our team there?

I'm generally indifferent to England. I just find it hard to understand the pleasure in seeing them defeated when we're so dire.

I work abroad in an office full of English lads who have been winding me up for the past month with the usual patter. All in good nature, of course. Tomorrow I’ll do the same with them; they’d be disappointed if I didn’t. Some folk on here take shit like this way too seriously. It’s just a bit of fun. It’s not “sad” in any way

When Celtic we’re getting merked by PSG 99% of this forum loved taking the piss despite the fact we’d been beat off Progres

Taking sterling off was a mistake despite him being a bit rash at times Croatia were petrified of his pace Ali should of been taken off instead. Again he goes missing in a big game something i think happens because he's came up through the lower league's. Kane was poor again dropping too deep instead of holding play up so there was focul point for the team at times and two shots on target to Croatias seven tells is story. Trippier was excellent i though but against top teams you'll struggle if your playing walker McGuire and stones as back three there will always be a mistake in them

I think England just froze in the second half. It is inexplicable how they collapsed from the 46th minute onwards when a goal up. The Croats then smelt blood and went for it.

It was a very British European performance.

How many times have we watched our clubs dominate with “fire, fight and brimstone” initially and then go on to not score when we “needed to” then concede ground and momentum?

I’ve said it so much I’m boring myself but ball retention ffs.

Ball retention above all else.
It buys you time, it promotes composure, it gives you control.
It is practically non existent in British football, either in a coaching sense or ideologically.
It’s the primary reason we do not compete with European sides at club and international level.

Frustrating as fu.ck, it really is.

Kane’s misses were horrendous

I thought he froze tonight. When you break down his goals his tournament hasn’t been very impressive

You've completely missed my point. You're telling England fans to be raging and going 'Aye but we nearly beat them' when we should be going 'Why didn't we beat them and why the fck haven't we qualified for a tournament again.' Given how pish most of the teams were Scotland will never have a better chance to progress from the groups at a WC. Pity we've been sitting on our couches for 20 years watching other fans enjoying themselves.

Im jealous of England and Croatia fans, I'd give my left nut to be in with a chance of making a WC final.

Your missing my point. I couldn't care less about the Scottish national team these days. Was just giving an example of how Scotland nearly beat them which means they are not that great. They were playing Croatia in the semi final of the world cup. They won't have a better opportunity that's why I would be raging. If it was against one of the favourites then you can hold your hands up and say fair enough but not against Croatia. If anyone at the start of the tournament had said England will be playing Croatia in the semi final you would have said it's there for the taking.

Have to also add that a country of four million people (fewer than Scotland and not much more than Wales) making a World Cup final is a superb feat. Surely Croatia is the smallest ever nation to make the final??

Sterling caused a lot problems. Outside of the Tunisia match Kane didn’t do an awful lot, bagged a few penalties and scored off an accidental deflection. Think that’s masked quite a sub par tournament for him individually

J, the guys probably going to win the golden boot ffs, I don’t think you’re allowed to say sub-par :D

I get it, in that team you need dragged but I think even Leo would be glad to have bagged a few penalties this time round.

Very harsh.

It looked like in the second half they didn't know what to do. Do we play on the counter and let them come into us. Do we pass it keep the ball and kill the game. Or do we go for it and finish it good and proper. Instead it was a bit disjointed with aimless long balls getting punted up the park. Croatia meanwhile stuck to the game plan didn't panic and took there chances.

On another note What a greater perisic is top top player ran all night plenty skill and end product

I see the typical short sighted petty scottish attitude prevails again tonight." In your opinion not mine.

(like my workshy mentally challenged neighbours up and down the street fist pumping the result) . I was fist pumping does that make me a mentally challenged?

"England could have had it tougher but they werent lucky. They got to within a whisker of the football world cup final. Scotland couldnt even muster a play off place from qualifying. A team with a population less than ours is in the final. No excuses."

Yes but there are reasons why Croatia can and we don't it is a lot more complicated than population size.

Have to also add that a country of four million people (fewer than Scotland and not much more than Wales) making a World Cup final is a superb feat. Surely Croatia is the smallest ever nation to make the final??

Two-time winners Uruguay might have something to say about that, but yes in the modern game Croatia reaching the Final (and having continually punched their weight ever since becoming independent) is a brilliant achievement.

At the end of the day England told us all it was coming home and it didn’t come home.

If they showed an ounce of humility and respect towards the rest of the teams perhaps we’d have some sympathy.

As it was, they lost to a better team, and will probably not get a better chance to reach a World Cup final. What a shame.

Your missing my point. I couldn't care less about the Scottish national team these days. Was just giving an example of how Scotland nearly beat them which means they are not that great. They were playing Croatia in the semi final of the world cup. They won't have a better opportunity that's why I would be raging. If it was against one of the favourites then you can hold your hands up and say fair enough but not against Croatia. If anyone at the start of the tournament had said England will be playing Croatia in the semi final you would have said it's there for the taking.
Everyone knows England don't have a great team. They know the match was winnable. They might be disappointed at not making the final. They still made the WC semi and it took extra time for a better team to knock them out.

Uruguay won it twice and they have less inhabitants.

Ey! OK a Scotland England game in anything meaningless! If we had won our chances of getting to a playoff would have dramatically improved. It had nothing to do with talking down England. Yes we failed again! but what is the richest league in the world and where do we come in? With a population 10 to 15 x larger than us. I agree about the media not addressing our footballing woes, but for me anyway it comes down to money available and getting the kids off PS and X-boxes.

Come on, not the population excuse again. The money is in the Scottish game or at least it's certainly comparable to the likes of Iceland, Denmark, Sweden, Croatia, Serbia etc. Jeez, even Rep of Ireland and Northern Ireland made the WC play-offs (and actually qualified for the Euros)...

It was a very British European performance.

How many times have we watched our clubs dominate with “fire, fight and brimstone” initially and then go on to not score when we “needed to” then concede ground and momentum?

I’ve said it so much I’m boring myself but ball retention ffs.

Ball retention above all else.
It buys you time, it promotes composure, it gives you control.
It is practically non existent in British football, either in a coaching sense or ideologically.
It’s the primary reason we do not compete with European sides at club and international level.

Frustrating as fu.ck, it really is.

I genuinely thought England would continue their excellent play and workrate of the first 45 minutes and soon achieve that 2nd goal to knock the stuffing out of the Croats. What happened next was one of the strangest second half performances I've ever seen at this level. England looked scared and caught in no man's land, conceding the midfield and huge swathes of possession. The Croats then piled the pressure on and got their reward.

At the end of the day England told us all it was coming home and it didn’t come home.

If they showed an ounce of humility and respect towards the rest of the teams perhaps we’d have some sympathy.

As it was, they lost to a better team, and will probably not get a better chance to reach a World Cup final. What a shame.
It's the same with countries all over the world. The only difference is England are closest to us so we hear it loudest.

People were talking about how lucky England were that Netherlands and Italy couldn't qualify and Argentina, Germany, Spain, Portugal and Brazil all went out before they got a chance to pump England. Pretty disrespectful to the teams who played well enough to knock those teams out the tournament to dismiss them, how about some humility instead of just writing them off and saying England should beat them.

Uruguay won it twice and they have less inhabitants.
I think Uruguay has a population of around ten million. It would have been fewer when they won their world cups, but the world population was also much lower back then.

Not sure. Anyway, still excellent for a tiny country of four million.

Er...why?
You think Rangers fans of old didnt rejoice?
Cos i know they did.
Get a grip and get over it.
It's the new modern thinking though I'm still young but i bet in the 70s/80s it was light hearted banter at most personally I don't care either way if England win or lose it just doesn't bother only really interested in Rangers when it comes to football. But i think some people go right out there way to to show there support for England because that makes them staunch and I'm this big patriotic unionist. Also same for people that go over and above to support anybody that plays England buying other people strips flags ect it's all a bit cringy tbh.

It looked like in the second half they didn't know what to do. Do we play on the counter and let them come into us. Do we pass it keep the ball and kill the game. Or do we go for it and finish it good and proper. Instead it was a bit disjointed with aimless long balls getting punted up the park. Croatia meanwhile stuck to the game plan didn't panic and took there chances.

On another note What a greater perisic is top top player ran all night plenty skill and end product

The Croats are often technically excellent footballers and sleekit little shits when they need to be. France, however, won't sit in as England did tonight in that bizarre second half.

England's had the same problem for the last 20 plus years - lack of a really good playmaker. Really need someone like Gazza who could hold on to the ball, spray about passes and unlock a defence.

I think Uruguay has a population of around ten million. It would have been fewer when they won their world cups, but the world population was also much lower back then.

Not sure. Anyway, still excellent for a tiny country of four million.

Uruguay has about 3 million inhabitants

At the end of the day they punched well above their weight. a very inexperienced squad with no depth. Southgate has been great or them and the came up against a team who didn't panic and ground out he result
Biggest dissappointyment is we, as a slightly larger country can't manage anything like this achievement (Uruguay included)

Except England aren't there to represent Britain. If you're English then fair enough. Put those same players in Team GB shirts (can't come soon enough IMO) then we'll talk. But until then you can't say anything about fans cheering against their perceived biggest rivals.
You entirely miss the point, when did I say England was representing the UK? This was nothing to do with rivalry, it was atavistic, gutteral hatred that was in full flow. Watching a florid faced mentally challenged foaming at the mouth that a country he can't even point to on a map has scored against England, says everything you need to know about Sturgeon's best wee country in the world and the arseholes who support her. And will these "Croatia supporters" be backing them on Sunday? Maybe's aye, maybe naw? But in their wee anti-English world, I bet most of them don't give a flying feck.

Uruguay has about 3 million inhabitants
Cheers, I didn't know that. Croatia must have an excellent football programme from the kids upwards, given how many good players they've produced since independence. If they can keep producing and a country of 300,000 in Iceland can qualify, there has to be some hope for Scotland.

Sounds like Bilic had a word with the Croatian squad about English arrogance:

Luka Modric post match interview - “People were talking ... English journalists, pundits from television,” he told ITV. “They underestimated Croatia tonight and that was a huge mistake. All these words from them we take, we were reading and we were saying: ‘OK, today we will see who will be tired.’ They should be more humble and respect their opponents more.

You entirely miss the point, when did I say England was representing the UK? This was nothing to do with rivalry, it was atavistic, gutteral hatred that was in full flow. Watching a florid faced mentally challenged foaming at the mouth that a country he can't even point to on a map has scored against England, says everything you need to know about Sturgeon's best wee country in the world and the arseholes who support her. And will these "Croatia supporters" be backing them on Sunday? Maybe's aye, maybe naw? But in their wee anti-English world, I bet most of them don't give a flying feck.

I don't care about the gloating from Scots about England losing. I gloat about the SFA Eleven losing...and I'm Scottish. :D I'll support Scotland at everything, apart from football.

The Croats are often technically excellent footballers and sleekit little shits when they need to be. France, however, won't sit in as England did tonight in that bizarre second half.
They'll be out on there feet against France you'd imagine. The two in the middle for Croatia were excellent tonight it was two technically gifted players that play for Barca and Real against kick and rush epl players like Henderson ect. Said France from the start strength and depth of was just a case of it not all blowing up and egos clashing they seem to be all on the same page for a change

Why, exactly, should I cheer on an England side when I am not English? I still consider myself Scottish as much as British. SNP bastards don't dictate my identity and football allegiances. I'm able to separate any domestic politics from my football allegiances.

I for one will be cheering on Croatia in the World Cup Final but should France win I won't complain.

Modric was man of the match. Bossed the midfield from half time onwards.

England started fast. Croatia settled from 25mim onwards (although defence was still flapping massively). They started to come into the game and then dominated from half time onwards as defence settled.

England were sitting deeper and deeper from about 50mins. Almost a back 5 and croatia started targeting Walker and Trippier as they were both clearly toiling. The team froze and so did southgate.

Being honest with themselves, England didn't beat anyone in the tournament you didnt expect them to beat. Ultimately it was a huge opportunity missed and i think they will really regret the moments which could have made the difference
I had my eyes glued on the whole game and to me Modric wasn’t what I usually expect creating,don’t get me wrong he wasn’t bad.

Back