Cult Kits - Another Nike 98-00 deadstock find!!!

Are you a giant height wise?

34 waist and a medium is too small for you ??

I’m a 32/33 waist and 6ft 1 and comfortably get in medium (it is a fitted finish in our Hummel top).

The only person I know who is 34 waist and would wear an XL is my brother and he is 6ft 6!

6ft 2. To be honest I haven't bought a strip for 20 years. I am just going on how normal clothes from shp fit.

I am not overweight at all but àlways fund medium a waste of time lol

Irony of me taking the piss is I always need a large size too :D

I’m thin, but also over 6 feet so I’ll always need bigger sizes.

Medium all the way for me at 6ft1 until the mother in law shrinks the fecker washing it and then I regret not getting the large.

Fakes i think. The real original had dri fit on the sleeve

s-l400.jpg

This "old" stock has something different.

img_8359.jpg

Yip, definitely fake.

Still quite nice and a novelty. But I'd rather spend my money supporting the club and the new club shop.

Occam's razor:
The explanation that requires the smallest number of assumptions is usually correct. The more assumptions you have to make, the more unlikely an explanation.

Looking at the evidence, it points to these tops being fake.

The real original has a different dri fit logo than the one that appears on the fakes.

Also the red stripe on the original has a darker shade of red in a fade like effect. The pic advertising them and Coza's one's don't have the same fading.

Authentic originals:

Vintage-Glasgow-Rangers-1997-1998-Home-Football-Shirt-Size.jpg

s-l400.jpg

And the one's i suspect are fakes:

img_8359.jpg

0-CA8-D2-F9-3-D36-4-DC8-9022-98-A05-FC8706-C.jpg

Good post though OP because people will no doubt buy them, I'd just be uncomfortable calling them the real originals though.

I’m certain the first one I got ain’t fake. And fingers crossed this is the same batch.

£100 + £50 doesnt make £300 last time I checked.
Sorry mate, It's just £150 notes you've been screwed for, not £300

I haven’t found any pics of the kit with Nike-Fit logo, however I have found some pictures of players wearing the kit (in 98/99) with no sleeve details at all.

In the same year our red away kit DID have the Nike-fit logo on the bottom of the top.

So, reading between the lines. Could these strips have been produced incorrectly with the Nike-Fit logo and considered factory rejects not for resale?

Edit:- thus not an indication that the photo used on the site is a fake. Why go through the trouble of replicating material, labelling, stitching, packaging just to make a glaring mistake on the sleeve?

Last edited:
I haven’t found any pics of the kit with Nike-Fit logo, however I have found some pictures of players wearing the kit (in 98/99) with no sleeve details at all.

In the same year our red away kit DID have the Nike-fit logo on the bottom of the top.

So, reading between the lines. Could these strips have been produced incorrectly with the Nike-Fit logo and considered factory rejects not for resale?

The photo on the cult kit website with the funny logo is a stock photo of the release I think. The tweet pic of all the tops laid down on the floor is also some kind of stock photo but does have the dri-fit on the left sleeve.

The first top I ordered from them has dri-fit on the left shoulder/arm and came in an unopened bag that was identical to the packaging used in the release.

There’s guys on this thread saying they have bought one from the last release and have compared it versus an original they bought in 98/99 and it’s the real deal. We also have guys who worked for Rangers Retail back when this top was made saying it is the real deal.

Then we have some picture experts who have identified inconsistencies in a STOCK PHOTO, but haven’t seen the top saying they are fake with absolutely no other knowledge.

There’s guys on this thread saying they have bought one from the last release and have compared it versus an original they bought in 98/99 and it’s the real deal. We also have guys who worked for Rangers Retail back when this top was made saying it is the real deal.

Then we have some picture experts who have identified inconsistencies in a STOCK PHOTO, but haven’t seen the top saying they are fake with absolutely no other knowledge.

welcome to FF

with people alluding to @Coza being a crook and disregarding @David Edgar who has 2 originals and bought a batch top and cannot see any difference whatsoever.

Occam's razor for me says, which Chinese factory goes so far as to match the plastic bags they come in with the original???

Let’s be honest, it’s pretty much impossible to tell fakes from real stuff on some occasions these days. At the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter, does it? If people are happy then fair enough, plenty places sell retro tops at similar prices and folk are happy enough to pay the prices.

The one that wants to sell a T-shirt for £100 by spending £1 on a fake plastic bag.

Fake bag. Fake Nike identical colour coding and font on bar coding. Fake labels. Only one size has been made available from this deadstock (consistent with stock supply of all one size per box). The tops upon inspection with originals are seen as like for like in every detail by posters on here. We are getting into the realms of fantasy here to claim its more likely they are good fakes than a genuine find. As another poster said - the market for retro rangers tops in medium only is a bit too niche to be some clever scam in my opinion.

I really respect, but disagree with, @5*RFC and his comments as he used proper analysis to come to his conclusion. I do think his comment on the stock photos are bang on. I however don’t think what I received, and hopefully get this time too, is the same product as shown in the stock photo.

And seeing as some are alluding I am in on this and it’s a con. Here is my letter from rangers when I got the job while at uni.

Edit to say my first purchase is still tagged in wardrobe so any requests for specific pics I will do them before the game today.

Last edited:
If I was faking tops, labels, barcodes, bags and whatever else, the last size I’d make would be small then medium.

My favourite ever home top. Got a XL from the season it was released. I remember my cousin going mad that I had it. When I stayed at her mum’s for a few months the wee fucker would try and nab it out the basket before I was given my pule of stuff to put away. Sneaky wee cow :D

Occam's razor for me says, which Chinese factory goes so far as to match the plastic bags they come in with the original???

In terms of Occam's Razor, the Chinese factory story still requires fewer assumptions to be made than the mythical basement story. Quite a few leaps of faith being made with the 20-year basement story.

By the way, I'm not trying to shit-stir. I find it an interesting topic. I still think they are smart and worth getting for below £50 as a quality reproduction of a classic top. My second ever Rangers top and one of my favourites. I still might get one, whether they came from a magical basement or not!

I'd say my scepticism went past the tipping point when a second batch was magically found after the first lot had already sold out.

In terms of Occam's Razor, the Chinese factory story still requires fewer assumptions to be made than the mythical basement story. Quite a few leaps of faith being made with the 20-year basement story.

By the way, I'm not trying to shit-stir. I find it an interesting topic. I still think they are smart and worth getting for below £50 as a quality reproduction of a classic top. My second ever Rangers top and one of my favourites. I still might get one, whether they came from a magical basement or not!

I'd say my scepticism went past the tipping point when a second batch was magically found after the first lot had already sold out.

English company makes Nike tops for lots of clubs around uk. English company has spare tops left as they made too many. They sit in the depths of some vast storage room along with other clubs tops. English company goes bust years later and the surplus stock turns up with our top. The football stuff is swallowed up by one of the many retro top companies who will circle all around these situations and will have all manner of contacts.

I don’t think that’s as far fetched as the lengths of faking one size of a twenty year old top down to packaging and labels. I would also bet each manufacturer also made one size only for production speed hence this find is mediums only.

Reason I would guess an English company is that we all know the value of rangers and our stuff. The ignorance down south to the size of rangers and Celtic for that matter is hilarious.

I don't know either way if these tops are real or fake, but these kinds of finds do happen.

There was 1 about 5 years ago in Argentina when a shop was discovered that was filled with Adidas trainers & clothing all from the early/mid 70s onwards. Some of what was found were proverbial hens teeth in the trainer world. Even the frontman from The Stone Roses got in on that action.

I don't know either way if these tops are real or fake, but these kinds of finds do happen.

There was 1 about 5 years ago in Argentina when a shop was discovered that was filled with Adidas trainers & clothing all from the early/mid 70s onwards. Some of what was found were proverbial hens teeth in the trainer world. Even the frontman from The Stone Roses got in on that action.

Fair play to the old boy. Could have made fortunes with his treasure chest but that’s his livelihood, without his shop he’d be lost. Also fair play to the collectors for not taking the piss.

Back