Cup Final Line Up

Dogbert

I realise plenty will be howling it's too early, but think about how GvB and the management team are having to get the squad ready and get them lifted for a match that's more important now in light of last night's result.

We need a win to get the momentum into the off season and last week showed that we can get a team out that can wipe the floor with Hearts.

I'd look at the following line up...

McLaughlin
Tav
King
Balogun
Bassey
Lundstram
Arfield
Lowry
Ramsay
Sakala
Kent

There's still enough depth that I could see arguments for Diallo coming in or that Ramsay's miss is too big a sore point or that we keep Bassey in the centre and play Borna.

Big thing is to avoid too many that played all 120 mins and keep blooding our younger guys and get them used to winning silverware.

I’d have Lowry start - one of the biggest problems last night was the midfield sideways passing - it looked like players were scared to lose the ball, so rather than pick up and move forward, it was squared or returned to the defence. Lowry is gallus, and we need someone to receive the ball and their first thought be ‘get it forward’.

I’d have Lowry start - one of the biggest problems last night was the midfield sideways passing - it looked like players were scared to lose the ball, so rather than pick up and move forward, it was squared or returned to the defence. Lowry is gallus, and we need someone to receive the ball and their first thought be ‘get it forward’.
That's my immediate hope that it's "Lowry's Cup Final".

Never mind the penalty miss. Ramsey has done nothing to deserve a start in a final, absolutely nothing.
If he wants to crawl into a hole, then I'd hope the management team act accordingly.

But if he's up for the game, then give him the start...had a good game last week against the same Hearts team.

If he wants to crawl into a hole, then I'd hope the management team act accordingly.

But if he's up for the game, then give him the start...had a good game last week against the same Hearts team.
He was pish against Hearts and Dundee Utd. He has had 1 good game against Braga since he signed yet we still have people crying out for him to start

Goldson will start, alongside either Balogun or King. Bassey at left back
I think Lowry will start, don't expect to see Ramsey or Roofe.

I realise plenty will be howling it's too early, but think about how GvB and the management team are having to get the squad ready and get them lifted for a match that's more important now in light of last night's result.

We need a win to get the momentum into the off season and last week showed that we can get a team out that can wipe the floor with Hearts.

McLaughlin
Tav
King
Balogun
Bassey
Lundstram
Arfield
Lowry
Ramsay
Sakala
Kent

There's still enough depth that I could see arguments for Diallo coming in or that Ramsay's miss is too big a sore point or that we keep Bassey in the centre and play Borna.

Big thing is to avoid too many that played all 120 mins and keep blooding our younger guys and get them used to winning silverware.
Agree

McLaughlin
Tav
King
Balogun
Bassey
Lundstram
Arfield
Lowry
Ramsay
Sakala
Kent

Would definitely have Lowry and Roofe in the team from the start and would like to see Davis feature again at some point.
Was unlucky not to score last night and talked very well at the end of the game.

McLaughlin
Tav
King
Balogun
Bassey
Lundstram
Arfield
Lowry
Ramsay
Sakala
Kent

To me, that’s a weakened team and can’t understand why you would go with that in a cup final with no other games left? (Assuming everyone on the plane it fit).

Can’t say that without putting my thoughts out there however…roofe in, aribo in for jack, Sakala over wright (coin toss with that one) and I might consider barasic out, Bassey to LB with balogun at CH. Bassey was best player last night but I think you get more out of him going forward from LB.

Last edited:
I can see the argument that you've got this far with Goldson then you put a bow on his time at Rangers with a Cup Final win, but part of me wants to see the future.

However, that probably means we should play McCann rather than Ramsay.

Not understanding some of these decisions. Seems almost punitive at times. If we won that game last night I’m pretty sure Goldson would be in most of the teams for a start. Over his time with us the guy has more in the credit than the debit column.

I suspect it will be something like the following (I don’t have Aribo starting as I think he emptied the tank last night. Jack still not totally 100%. Kent might not start for similar… but last game of the season….):

McLaughlin

Tavernier
Goldson
Bassey
Barisic

Lundstram
Davis
Lowry

Sakala
Roofe
Kent

McLaughlin
Tav
King
Balogun
Bassey
Lundstram
Arfield
Lowry
Ramsay
Sakala
Kent

I’d rather play Goldson upfront than Sakala mate

Mclaughlin

Tav
Goldson
Bassey
Barasic

Lundstram
Davis
Lowry

Kent
Roofe
Sakala

If all fit and able if Barasic can’t make it out Bassey to LB and play either King or Balogun.

Not understanding some of these decisions. Seems almost punitive at times. If we won that game last night I’m pretty sure Goldson would be in most of the teams for a start. Over his time with us the guy has more in the credit than the debit column.

I suspect it will be something like the following (I don’t have Aribo starting as I think he emptied the tank last night. Jack still not totally 100%. Kent might not start for similar… but last game of the season….):

McLaughlin

Tavernier
Goldson
Bassey
Barisic

Lundstram
Davis
Lowry

Sakala
Roofe
Kent

They've played 120 minutes of football in a baking hot temperature. Part of it may be punitive. Part may be the idea that it's a quick turnaround for the cup game and very little time to recover.

Never mind the penalty miss. Ramsey has done nothing to deserve a start in a final, absolutely nothing.
Ramsey won't play imo. Rightly or wrongly, the die is cast with the fans re Ramsey. Time to look to our future. Alex Lowry et al.

McLaughlin is our cup keeper so that's 1 certain change from last night.

Tav and Goldson for sure, Balogun comes in for Borna who it would seem is unlikely to feature this weekend (unless he came off with cramp) so Bassey at left back.

In midfield, there's options for rotation. Of those involved last night, Jack is least likely to feature. I would say Lundstram and/or Kamara then any 2 from Davis/Arfield/Ramsey/Lowry.

Up front, Roofe should start if the management team believe he's fit enough to play an hour. Sakala and Diallo could start with Kent/Aribo/Wright on the bench.

Have a word with yourselves if your wanting Ramsey to start on Saturday. The guy has done nothing to deserve a start in a cup final

They've played 120 minutes of football in a baking hot temperature. Part of it may be punitive. Part may be the idea that it's a quick turnaround for the cup game and very little time to recover.
From memory Goldson hasn’t struggled on return to domestic games following any of the other ET European games.

My over-riding impression is that it’s churlish on some people’s part to deny him one last chance at silverware with us. I understand why. I just don’t agree with it. Play our strongest team as far as is possible and change it with subs if we have to. They have weeks off to recover.

dont think there will be many changes

mclaughlin, roofe and balogun for mcgregor, aribo and barasic

possibly ramsay for kamara

It's the Cup final. It's the last game of the season. We should play our strongest team, fitness permitting. That certainly includes Goldson.

Personally, I wouldn’t start Goldson. If, as seems certain, he’s for the off then after last night Saturday marks a new beginning.
I think he should start, even if it's his last game.

I am not his biggest fan but he deserves a send off with a trophy this season.

Lowry deserves a start and has shown enough against hearts last week to prove he's ready.

I think balogun comes in for barisic and we play bassey at left back. Maybe a bit early for Roofe to start, that said aribo must be cooked after another serious shift.

Cost us last night, bench.
The player that cost us missed the pen.
He has been in those situations more than the others, I was more worried about arfield until I saw his face. Knew he would score, Ramsey looked like he would rather be on the moon knew he was going to miss. Not only a save by the keeper, but the weakest pen taken out of all of them.

Goldson should and will start

Last edited:

I'd much rather Lowry starting than Ramsey. Done hee haw and doesn't really deserve a starting place, fine with him coming on later in game if needed.

McLaughlin
Tav
King
Balogun
Bassey
Lundstram
Arfield
Lowry
Ramsay
Sakala
Kent

Where is Goldson?

I'd much rather Lowry starting than Ramsey. Done hee haw and doesn't really deserve a starting place, fine with him coming on later in game if needed.
Lowry has been much better than Ramsey in every single appearance he has made. I would certainly be happy with him starting the final.

Back