Cup V Falkirk

Madjid Moments

Is this a chance to rest players and give others game time or is it best team starts to win the game then rest?

I think you could look either way.

Thoughts?

I think the squad will be used Sunday with big changes. The gaffer said something post Aberdeen game like "We now go to Thursday and we go full throttle" which I took it to suggest he wants the main boys to empty the tank again in full knowledge they will be given a week to recover.

Absolutely, I’d imagine at least 7 or 8 changes from whatever the starting 11 is on Thursday.

It’s games like this our idiots Jones and Edmundson will be really kicking themselves about, both would probably have played.

Is this a chance to rest players and give others game time or is it best team starts to win the game then rest?

Thoughts?

Some players will get rested.

Thanks to Scotland’s u21 set-up - it won’t be Tav getting rested as Paterson’s currently out the picture!

I’d imagine out line up will be something along the lines of this:

McGlaughlin
Tav Balogun Helander Bassey
Arfield Zungu Kamara
Itten Defoe Barker

Last edited:

Thanks to Scotland’s u21 set-up - it won’t be Tav getting rested as Paterson’s currently out the picture!

McGlaughlin
Tav Edmundson Balogun Bassey
Arfield Zungu Kamara
Itten Defoe Barker
Edmundson not banned?

If Zungu had a knee knock at weekend I’d keep him off a plastic surface

We have plenty of options and need to fully utilise the squad

I’m sure the team we put out will be good enough to get a win v Falkirk

Reactions: Gee

McGlaughlin
Arfield Zungu Kamara
Itten Defoe Barker

Edmundson is on a 7 game suspension

Unfortunate for Patterson as you would imagine he would definitely have been in line to start this one and Tav would have got a rest.

Shame for Patterson, think he would've been a cert to start.

Even with players that haven't seen as many minutes (Defoe, Bassey etc), we should have more than enough for Falkirk.

Major changes for this one and I am not worried about the squad players coming in.
If we do start with McLaughlin, Bassey, Balogun, Hagi, Defoe, Barker, Itten and even give a run out to Edmunsdon, Jones and Stewart and some of the youth.
Still think we will win by 3 or 4.

McGlaughlin
Arfield Zungu Kamara
Itten Defoe Barker
Edmundson??

come on,trolling or just plain daft ?

Would prefer we rested Tav for this, must be someone else we can shoehorn in for this game alone.

I was in amongst the Falkirk fans for our defeat there in December 2015. Collum gave them a penalty for a foul that was about three miles outside the box.

B9321-BC2-DAAD-49-DE-855-F-42155-B0-C1-ED1.jpg

I hope we annihilate them.

Thoughts?
100 percent.

I may get abuse for this but I would rest all of our regulars for this one.

I know we all want to see us win a trophy soon but this year especially i think we need to prioritise our game time.

The League and Europa are miles ahead of the Scottish Cup and League Cup in priorities.

100 percent.

I may get abuse for this but I would rest all of our regulars for this one.

I know we all want to see us win a trophy soon but this year especially i think we need to prioritise our game time.

The League and Europa are miles ahead of the Scottish Cup and League Cup in priorities.
I don't even think it's about priorities, I think it's abouts teams for the quality of opponents we face, everyone seeing game time and managing our schedule much more effectively than we have the last 2 seasons to avoid burnout.

I think Thursday's lineup will be McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Helander, Barisic, Davis, Jack, Kamara, Kent, Roofe and Morelos.

On that assumption Sunday could well see McGlauchlin, Tav, Balogan, Helander, Bassey, Arfield, Aribo, Zungu, Hagi, Itten and Defoe start.

Even then I've a feeling Barker will start at least 1 of the 2 games so who drops onto the bench for him? Our strength in depth now is ridiculous when you look at the above. Half the 'reserve' side took Hamilton for 8, our B team full of teenagers have been beating the lower league teams except Hearts comfortably. I doubt Falkirk will be any different.

Would prefer we rested Tav for this, must be someone else we can shoehorn in for this game alone.
Totally agree sregnar. Perhaps young Leon King could play right back? Be great if we can rest Tav, Goldson and Kent who seem to play every game along with some other regular starters.

I was in amongst the Falkirk fans for our defeat there in December 2015. Collum gave them a penalty for a foul that was about three miles outside the box.

B9321-BC2-DAAD-49-DE-855-F-42155-B0-C1-ED1.jpg

I hope we annihilate them.
As bad as that looks, the guy landed about 10 yards further forward.

Still a terrible decision though.

We will use the squad, it wont be a full new team, Tav & Goldson will start, McLaughlin will come in for McGregor.

Our midfield sort of picks itself, 3 of Jack Arfield Kamara Davis Aribo and Zungu will start, with the other 2/3 coming on if game is tied up.

Up front is the major changes, Defoe Itten and Barker, though depending on Thursday, Morelos or Roofe could start.

Thoughts?
That's what we done in McCoist first season. We were flying. He rested players in the cup v Falkirk. They beat us 3 2 and it derailed the season.

I wonder if we might see some youth prospects get some minutes coming off the bench the likes of King Dickson McKee and Mebude couod be included in the squad

Spine will be solid but will be 4 or 5 places up for grabs in between starters McLaughlin, Tav,Goldson 1 of Filip/Leon, Jack, Defoe, Hagi

Treat the game the same way we have treated recent league games after a game on a Thursday a few changes to freshen it up but try and get 90 into the likes of Itten and Zungu and keep the players who commonly pick up muscle injuries off the plastic pitch .

For the 1st time in a longtime I feel 100% confidence in making wholesale changes for a game like this. Bassey and Patterson at FB positions. Defoe, Itten and Barker up front. Hopefully Zungu in midfield although the pitch might affect him being picked. Hagi playing as 1 of a 3 in midfield in traditional 10 role.

Last edited:

Thoughts?

nope. Strongest team possible to start. If we are up a few goals then bring on a few fringe players.

we really need to be going all out to win this. First silverware of the season and if we win it is a massive confidence boost.

Back