Current board and funds

The gap isn't that big to be honest. We've been the victim of some outrageous decisions and we have thrown games away.
Brenda will be off in the summer, a new manager will create impetus. I see no reason why we won’t continue to feck up games and the gap is only going to widen to season end. They have players missing and have been at no where peak and are still 8 points ahead. This is just delusional to think otherwise.

3 incidents off the top of my head

Pittodrie ( 1st game of the season ) Alfie red carded for nothing

Tims ( @ Parkpaed) Collum ignored Beaton (4th official) to blow for foul - they score

McLean - handball yesterday

8 points

No

3 incidents off the top of my head

Pittodrie ( 1st game of the season ) Alfie red carded for nothing

Tims ( @ Parkpaed) Collum ignored Beaton (4th official) to blow for foul - they score

McLean - handball yesterday

8 points

No
Dundee. Goal wrongly chopped off for offside.

Dundee. Goal wrongly chopped off for offside.

And we’re not mention8ng the “ honest mistakes “ that the scum benefit from.

We have misfired way too often this season, however we should,d be on their tails at the very least and in my opinion on top of the league.

It’s cheating, pure & simple.

The board have done more than enough. No doubt there will do more in the summer. The difference is getting cash from the CL. Its like the chicken and egg situation. You need to get into the CL to get cash but need the cash to get into the CL ...or septic go down to the third division as we did.
Frankly this would be a much better league if the darkside would go away and fly their flag in their own country.

The board have done more than enough. No doubt there will do more in the summer. The difference is getting cash from the CL. Its like the chicken and egg situation. You need to get into the CL to get cash but need the cash to get into the CL ...or septic go down to the third division as we did.
Frankly this would be a much better league if the darkside would go away and fly their flag in their own country.

It would be a much better society.

The sale of Morelos will no doubt fund next seasons tranfers but that aside, I can’t really criticise the board, they’ve made money available.

We need to spend money better rather than more of it.

Last season is old ground now, but we basically wasted an entire year’s budget on signings who are no longer at the club.

This year we have made some good signings but others which are at the moment for me questionable.

There is absolutely no excuse to get dragged down into a fight for second with Aberdeen and Kilmarnock again based on the wages we are paying out in comparison, but you know it’s coming.
On that note I would make it an absolute priority to sack that fat slug Traynor asap and recruit a good PR team.

Would be worth every penny to have an aggressive team of attack dogs standing up for us, God knows we need it.

We need to win the battle off the park before we can win it on it!

It’s a serious question. Can you see us overtaking Celtic without external funding coming from somewhere.
Yes we can mate,but I would be investing in our scouting department,there will be undiscovered talent out there.We picked up Alfie for a million they got Dembele for 500k.

In the bigger, more lucrative leagues such as the EPL money from the CL isnt that significant. Here in Scotland it is so out of proportion to other income streams that it distorts and kills domestic competition.

When we were forced into the bottom tier of Scottish football we had the chance to vote with other clubs to change the way money was distributed. We could have left Celtic as outcasts with a massive wage bill and no means to meet their financial commitments. Instead we did what we always do and missed an open goal.

Im not sure its possible to catch Celtic given their 30 million annual hand out from the CL.

I just didn't get the excitment around Davis coming back, just not what was needed. Defoe, we would have been better keeping Hardie at the club. I'm guessing a lot of wages going out on these 2 for very little return, the no.10 we are crying out for would have been a better way to spend the money.
We would have been better keeping Hardie instead of signing Defoe? I have heard it all now...

The league is gone, winning the SC is a must. St Pats can't be allowed to win 3 trebles in a row.

This obsession with stopping Celtic, be it TIAR or Treble Trebles or whatever else is part of our problem.

I want to win the Scottish Cup simply because it’s the Scottish Cup, with all the history that comes with it, and because it would be a huge achievement for us as a club - our first trophy in 8 years.

It has very little if anything to do with stopping the Yahoos.

This obsession with stopping Celtic, be it TIAR or Treble Trebles or whatever else is part of our problem.

I want to win the Scottish Cup simply because it’s the Scottish Cup, with all the history that comes with it, and because it would be a huge achievement for us as a club - our first trophy in 8 years.

It has very little if anything to do with stopping the Yahoos.
its the usual 2 horse race story .....its hardly going to be Aberdeen or Hibs to stop them is it?

Until the fat man is gone the club will keep going the way it has. I hold out hope once Ashley's away we could get some serious investment

The money that's been wasted buys you a very decent team. Can't fault the financing really, we just need to be spending it more wisely.

No they don't. Absolutely not.

A net spend of £5m last summer tells you all you need to know about where we are at :(

We’re 8 points behind haven’t been great, but the rump of the gap could’ve been avoided if match officials were honest.

Whilst i agree we have been f*cked over in certain games, placing the blame purely on the officials tkaes away from the clear deficiencies in this group of players, some are not good enough and never will be.

There is very little chance we will ever have a majority of fans who say

"Forget Celtic, let's develop in a vacuum, even if it takes a decade..."

That's a pipe dream. We need to close gap and clearly we need more than cash to buy players...we will need better youth system, scouting, coaching, and management.

There is very little chance we will ever have a majority of fans who say

"Forget Celtic, let's develop in a vacuum, even if it takes a decade..."

That's a pipe dream. We need to close gap and clearly we need more than cash to buy players...we will need better youth system, scouting, coaching, and management.

Looking at some of your comments over the weekend Earl, are you now of the opinion it’s not going to happen under Gerrard?

When we were forced into the bottom tier of Scottish football we had the chance to vote with other clubs to change the way money was distributed. We could have left Celtic as outcasts with a massive wage bill and no means to meet their financial commitments. Instead we did what we always do and missed an open goal.

We didn't have the chance to vote. Only the SPL clubs could vote on SPL distribution and Aberdeen sided with Celtic to maintain the status quo.

From where we were, to where we are now, they have made ample funds available.
Mistakes have been made, costing quite a bit, however they keep coming back with more.
The fans through tickets have put in plenty and will continue to do so.
Of course they could do with investment from elsewhere, but we need to be sure it is from reliable investors.
Rangers are heading in the right direction.

To be fair, the biggest mistakes have all been by the Board. I love this Board and maybe I’m being ungrateful - but the amount of money they wasted on Pedro; hiring, firing, and giving him a big budget with no local scouts or DoF, should be their cost to bear.

Their mistake, their write off. IMO of course.

Looking at some of your comments over the weekend Earl, are you now of the opinion it’s not going to happen under Gerrard?
I am not convinced. I always saw him as a Souness type: inspire, reboot, and get bums back on seats. I never expected much tactically and I've seen nothing to change my mind. Souness had Walter.

I am not convinced. I always saw him as a Souness type: inspire, reboot, and get bums back on seats. I never expected much tactically and I've seen nothing to change my mind. Souness had Walter.

That was always the risk.

Souness and Walter also had the luxury of being able to outspend everyone else in the country in attracting genuine world class footballers to the club.

The inspirational leader thing was only ever going to take Gerrard so far.

We’re now left hoping he rapidly matures as a coach between now and next autumn.

It was always going to be a tall order.

This season is a learnng curve for him and we will see what he learns from it!

Finish second and win the scottish? however thats not going to be easy

I think SG developing his Pep side will be far harder than the bit where he excited us and we made memes about him. Good luck to everyone.

That was always the risk.

Souness and Walter also had the luxury of being able to outspend everyone else in the country in attracting genuine world class footballers to the club.

The inspirational leader thing was only ever going to take Gerrard so far.

We’re now left hoping he rapidly matures as a coach between now and next autumn.

It was always going to be a tall order.

Tall order?
we have a rookie coach, the left overs of last season debacle, a team half full of loan signings, budget buys and aging past stars
They have a experienced manager, a better team and flush with cash.
Expecting this gamble to succeed wasn't 'ambitious'.
It was mission impossible

Souness also led us to a 3rd place league finish in 87-88, so it wasn't all Rosie's and fairies

If second this year is as bad as it gets for Gerard, he can still go on to achieve more than souness did.

What was Gerrards net spend in the summer? Baring in mind he had to rebuild a full squad.
Net spend was £5m. That says it all IMO. Board don't have sufficient funds for what we need to win titles

We HAVE to sell Alfie and probably Tav in order to start to generate proper funds.

Another net spend of £5m like last year would be poor and I couldn't see SG hanging around too long if that's all he'd get, whilst expected to win the league..

Last edited:
On evidence so far, no.

This summer is a big test in terms of what our net spend will be. If the board can’t stump up decent funds to have us properly challenging then ST prices should reflect a club likely to finish 2nd and not what the prices currently are which are on par with what they were before 2012

We need to get real and stop talking about “stumping up decent funds” as if the Directors are obliged to throw even more Millions into the club.

We need to live within our means sooner rather than later unless there is another open share issue that allows our supporters to invest.

We cannot continue to rely on directors to inject capital season after season.
The club needs to increase revenue internally.
I hear for example Aberdeen make more in sponsorship than ourselves which is embarrassing.

Tall order?
we have a rookie coach, the left overs of last season debacle, a team half full of loan signings, budget buys and aging past stars
They have a experienced manager, a better team and flush with cash.
Expecting this gamble to succeed wasn't 'ambitious'.
It was mission impossible

I’m not sure it’s mission impossible - we were neck and neck with the Yahoos going into the winter shutdown having just beaten them convincingly.

I don’t think we’re as far off as some are suggesting, but we do need to move the whole thing up a level and that’s going to cost a heftier chunk of resources than we’ve seen from the board to date, IMO.

If Gerrard doesn’t get that or if the recruitment fails him this summer, I don’t think he’ll last, but I’d stop short of calling it a lost cause.

We do need to focus on the positives from this season, and, despite the doom and gloom on here over the past couple of days, there have actually been quite a few of them.

What was Gerrards net spend in the summer? Baring in mind he had to rebuild a full squad.

You tell me.... Mistakes have been made by previous managers.. with the limited budget we have had.. Grezda, Barisic and a few others have not been a success so far under the current coaching staff.

We need to get real and stop talking about “stumping up decent funds” as if the Directors are obliged to throw even more Millions into the club.

We need to live within our means sooner rather than later unless there is another open share issue that allows our supporters to invest.

That’s fine

The board have to then realise that finishing 2nd is what we can realistically achieve on that budget

In which case, ST prices should be reduced to reflect a 2nd at best team and not prices of a title challenging team given that’s the prices we’re currently paying

The crux of it is, I'm not sure how much more I'd trust MA and Gerrard in the transfer market. Their signings have been questionable at best and Gerrard doesn't seem to know how to play the players he has signed, Defoe in particular is never a lone striker. It's a management issue rather than a finances issue.

As I see it, Gerard has made mistakes as has Brian Allen. Just because players star in another league is no guarantee that they will go on in this Scottish league with its reliance on 9 man defences when they play us,referees who are institutionally trained not to favour us in any way and ignore tackles which they should be taking action over.Added to that is "trial by Sportscene" with its selective use of photos of incidents in our games designed to have retrospective punishments of our players. We have a Compliance Officer who works for the legal firm that also represents Celtc and has admitted to being a celtc fan.The head honcho at SFA is a pal of celtc's main shareholder to boot. Taking all this to heart shows us that we have no chance in Scotland as it stands today.

If we could move then I think we should look into it but, to survive here we need some nous about how to handle teams on and off the park. Long and high balls to a 5'7" centre forward will never work and Lafferty has always been bad in the air. If we have to do this then we need a target man and a poacher to finish moves off. Once Alfredo goes, we can keep Defoe and buy a Hately type,from where I have no idea but there must be some big gangly guys out there who can head a ball. We need a midfielder who can split the opposition with a pass,again I have no idea from where. IMHO, Tav can go and with him gone we won't need Candyman

With the money we get from the three of them we should have more than enough to replace them in a 2 or 3 team league.

Off the field, I am afraid that we are screwed until further notice.Sorry guys but looking at it from afar, that's how I see life over 'ome.

Answer: no one one knows, it's about as predictable as to who comes in during the summer. You see all the speculation and rumours flying around, it'll be down to King to decide and if it means improving in the squad, I can see Gerrard being given ample funds.

Besides, I'm of the opinion that it won't take much, we have a good squad, it's now building on what we have and that is fixing the attacking area of our game. If we can sign in attacking midfielders who score goals for fun, I think we'll be in a pretty decent position to challenge.

We’re 8 points behind haven’t been great, but the rump of the gap could’ve been avoided if match officials were honest.
Fair point ,we would still not have been ahead of them but we would have been much closer. It's hard but we have to be realistic ,we were always going to be a work in progress this season but it is frustrating thinking we could have had a decent chance to win it. It will be interesting to see how things go next season. They will have a new manager and I expect he will be given some money to spend.For me the big thing will be replacing Morelos ,who I think will go and getting a creative midfielder.

Back