Current Ibrox Stadium Problems and Future Redevelopments

Personally i don't really see the need to infill the corners if the long term plan is to add a third tier to each of the 3 stands. Its a cost that we don't have to incur as that would take the capacity to a level we wouldn't make the most of for the most part.

IMO we don't even have to add a tier to the broomloan and copland, extending the rear adding a few extra thousand as well as a 3rd tier on the Govan would more than likely be more than enough for us. if you extended them closer to the main stand that would also aid capacity.

Theres lots of ways to squeeze as much out the current set up without having to go to extremes if its deemed not possible.

We could put a tier on the govan with minimal disruption over one summer. Liverpool have chosen the costlier , more time consuming way for a variety of reasons. The two projects aren’t remotely comparable
You are at it :))

There’s not a hope in hell that anybody could stick a completed new tier on the Govan stand over a summer. I’ve no idea about building work but even I know that would be an expensive and lengthy project

Personally i don't really see the need to infill the corners if the long term plan is to add a third tier to each of the 3 stands. Its a cost that we don't have to incur as that would take the capacity to a level we wouldn't make the most of for the most part.

IMO we don't even have to add a tier to the broomloan and copland, extending the rear adding a few extra thousand as well as a 3rd tier on the Govan would more than likely be more than enough for us. if you extended them closer to the main stand that would also aid capacity.

Theres lots of ways to squeeze as much out the current set up without having to go to extremes if its deemed not possible.

Cant see extra tiers ever being added. Filling the corners a bit and the cantilevers behind the goals are the only possibilities and could bring us up to about 55k which is probably about right for most games.

I think you’d have to say for the costs involved of replacing the roof and supports in any situation like that you’d be as well just rebuilding the entire outer bowl of the stadium.

Love this but theyre missing the massive external supports required to compensate for the removal of the steel pillars at the east and west corners holding the 3 roofs up.

It would have to be along the lines of the Westfalenstadion, which cost £200M to renovate and extend before the World Cup in 2006. Id imagine a minimum of £20-40m of this was just on the supports.

Love this but theyre missing the massive external supports required to compensate for the removal of the steel pillars at the east and west corners holding the 3 roofs up.

It would have to be along the lines of the Westfalenstadion, which cost £200M to renovate and extend before the World Cup in 2006. Id imagine a minimum of £20-40m of this was just on the supports.

The supports are in that design, the majority of the engineering required would be of the supports in the upper tier of the corners as that would require major alterations.The govan, Broomloan and Copland cantilevers were in that design as the roof height doesnt change.

Dortmunds extensions was for four new stands and various other upgrades. Not comparable to the study we did.

The supports are in that design, the majority of the engineering required would be of the supports in the upper tier of the corners as that would require major alterations.The govan, Broomloan and Copland cantilevers were in that design as the roof height doesnt change.

Dortmunds extensions was for four new stands and various other upgrades. Not comparable to the study we did.
Where’s that information from? It wasn’t covered in any detail at the presentation.

That picture is a mock up of how it could look internally, but to have practically invisible supports taking the weight of 3 roofs is some feat.

The premise of the roof wouldn’t change - it’s just moving the supports from internal to external but they’d still need to be significant.

You can compare the principle of dortmund completing their corners and amending the goalpost stands, which of course, ours are also famously based on.

Where’s that information from? It wasn’t covered in any detail at the presentation.

That picture is a mock up of how it could look internally, but to have practically invisible supports taking the weight of 3 roofs is some feat.

The premise of the roof wouldn’t change - it’s just moving the supports from internal to external but they’d still need to be significant.
Its a simple engineering basis from how our stands are designed

The cantilever supports are already in the roof of each stand. They are behind the cladding you look up at when in the stand.

There is some additional steelwork in currently that spreads the load of the roof section infills at the corners across these cantilevers for the Govan, Broomloan and Copland. The current corners where the screens are designed for taking some of the weight of the roof at the corners and the jumbo screen framing. This would all need changed as the loading required would significantly increase and go all the way back.

Can be done for local cantilevers for these sections or something else but based on the studies and graphics as there is no change to Copland, Broomloan or Govan roof heights or upper concourse then there isnt the need to change the cantilevers supporting them.

The cantilever supports are already in the roof of each stand. They are behind the cladding you look up at when in the stand.

There is some additional steelwork in currently that spreads the load of the roof section infills at the corners across these cantilevers for the Govan, Broomloan and Copland. The current corners where the screens are designed for taking some of the weight of the roof at the corners and the jumbo screen framing. This would all need changed as the loading required would significantly increase and go all the way back.

Can be done for local cantilevers for these sections or something else but based on the studies and graphics as there is no change to Copland, Broomloan or Govan roof heights or upper concourse then there isnt the need to change the cantilevers supporting them.

I’d imagine if it was that simple, and there were no significant works required, it’d have been done already.

It’s that ‘some’ of the weight that would need a structural engineer report done to understand, but the principle of the goalpost structures is that the ‘posts’ do the heavy lifting.

Would rather they stuck a modern third tier on the Govan and address the crap concourse’s with modern larger facilities to entice fans to come earlier and possibly stay later.

If that’s not possible then turning the volume down on the woman yelling “half time draw” would do.
Rizzzzzin starzzzzz hawf timeeeeeee drawwwww

I’d imagine if it was that simple, and there were no significant works required, it’d have been done already.

It’s that ‘some’ of the weight that would need a structural engineer report done to understand, but the principle of the goalpost structures is that the ‘posts’ do the heavy lifting.
No one said it was simple or cheap.

Its just not as complex as you have stated in comparing it to Dortmunds redevelopment

Unless we are bought by Arabs there will be no major expansion, following the alterations for disabled seating whenever that happens , installing cantalivers onto Copland and Broomloan is the easiest option, would take us up to around the 51k, and they may well be premium seats at that .

No one said it was simple or cheap.

Its just not as complex as you have stated in comparing it to Dortmunds redevelopment

You’re essentially replacing an internal support with an external one. To claim this is somehow hidden in a CGI mock up of what the corners would look like filled in is misleading. There was no reference to this in the presentation, so you’re having a total guess if the supports are in there or not.

Unless a structural engineer was to carry out an assessment, nobody knows for sure what supports would be needed. Given the era our stands were built in, and they were designed around the Westfalenstadion, it’s a fair assumption they’d need a similar type of support.

This was the Westfalenstadion pre redevelopment in the early 2000s - it looks awfully similar to our 3 stands, wouldn’t you agree?

Last edited:
You’re essentially replacing an internal support with an external one. To claim this is somehow hidden in a CGI mock up of what the corners would look like filled in is misleading. There was no reference to this in the presentation, so you’re having a total guess if the supports are in there or not.

Unless a structural engineer was to carry out an assessment, nobody knows for sure what supports would be needed. Given the era our stands were built in, and they were designed around the Westfalenstadion, it’s a fair assumption they’d need a similar type of support.

This was the Westfalenstadion pre redevelopment in the early 2000s - it looks awfully similar to our 3 stands, wouldn’t you agree?

Its not hidden in the CGI mock up, it is showing what is already there.

Picture below shows the stadium currently, you cant see the supports exposed because they are already there and covered by cladding.

The only part of structural changes would be to support an upper tier infill in the corner.

030422_Rangers_v_Celtic__Ibrox_-_Drone_03.JPG

Picture below shows the stadium currently, you cant see the supports exposed because they are already there and covered by cladding.

The only part of structural changes would be to support an upper tier infill in the corner.

Yes, and those supports that are covered by the silver cladding would have to be removed to achieve the look of the CGI picture, and would need to be replaced by something significant, that’s why they’re there in the first place.

The Copland, Govan and Broomloan roofs aren’t going to float.

With no change to the roof support and keeping the existing structure, you'll be left with a strange duplicate corner above the existing one due to line of sight issues with the pitch.

IIRC, there was a mock-up of that option in the Keppie report as well, but I can't seem to find it on google.

Edit: Found it

Edit 2: Interesting to see we have acted on the advice on the short term improvement and added the additional 3 rows to the SJ.

DF778534-94-B6-4040-A634-3-A09099-DE35-B.jpg

Yes, and those supports that are covered by the silver cladding would have to be removed to achieve the look of the CGI picture, and would need to be replaced by something significant, that’s why they’re there in the first place.

The Copland, Govan and Broomloan roofs aren’t going to float.

Glad someone knows what they're talking about.

The supports the poster is talking about aren't cantilevers either. They're goal post supports at both ends of each of the three stands as you said.

If you leave the roofs as they are, there's massive restricted views in all the seats where the screens are currently positioned.

Realistically, the only way to fill in the corners as per the Keppie mock-ups are by repacing the three roofs entirely with modern structures which are cantilvered (which is not how they're set up just now)

With no change to the roof support and keeping the existing structure, you'll be left with a strange duplicate corner above the existing one due to line of sight issues with the pitch.

IIRC, there was a mock-up of that option in the Keppie report as well, but I can't seem to find it on google.

Edit 2: Interesting to see we have acted on the advice on the short term improvement and added the additional 3 rows to the SJ.

Thats the option

Thats what I assumed we were discussing.

The changes dont require massive structural change.

If that's possible and much cheaper how many additional seats would it add 2 or 3k ?
The number is skewed as when we released the report it also quoted lowering the pitch to add some additional rows.

Then everyone got worried about the Clyde finding its way to the pitch whilst ignoring everything else around Ibrox including the subway and industrial estate down the hill behind the Govan stand which is lower

The number is skewed as when we released the report it also quoted lowering the pitch to add some additional rows.

Then everyone got worried about the Clyde finding its way to the pitch whilst ignoring everything else around Ibrox including the subway and industrial estate down the hill behind the Govan stand which is lower
Is the issue with lowering the pitch further not with sight lines ? Need to make the pitch smaller ?

Unless we are bought by Arabs there will be no major expansion, following the alterations for disabled seating whenever that happens , installing cantalivers onto Copland and Broomloan is the easiest option, would take us up to around the 51k, and they may well be premium seats at that .
51K? It would be nearer 55K.

Capacity is already nearly 51k.

Those seats in the corner look terrible. Surely that wasn’t a credible option?

A carbon copy? Have you seen the plans for anfield Road? Restaurants, bars, meeting rooms, catering, conference rooms etc. Theres a reason it’s costing so much and also they are doing all that work without closing the stand down. That adds massively.

We’ve got as much space as you could want at the back of the govan.

The defeatist, negative attitude from some that we can just never improve our stadium no matter what is alien to me.

As I said forty years ago we weren’t by any means Rich we built one of the most modern stadiums in Europe of its time. Im sure using modern methods we can add a tier onto one of the stands for a reasonable cost.
The cost of renovating part of the stadium will affect us on the park in the immediate future but long term it is vital we at least equal parkhead by capacity.

Those seats in the corner look terrible. Surely that wasn’t a credible option?
I don’t think it looks that bad. It doesn’t give you the “bowl” effect but if it’s doable and it is without tampering with the roof then why not do it?

You could also have thinner more modern curved screens installed above the new corner seats, which would help the look massively as well. Do that and the small cantilever extensions to the Copland and Broomie and we are up at 55/56k.

I don’t think it looks that bad. It doesn’t give you the “bowl” effect but if it’s doable and it is without tampering with the roof then why not do it?

You could also have thinner more modern curved screens installed above the new corner seats, which would help the look massively as well. Do that and the small cantilever extensions to the Copland and Broomie and we are up at 55/56k.
Don’t think it looks any worse that what is there at the minute. Don’t know if we could maybe add corporate lounge / boxes or even another level above this proposal. All about maximising seats / income with the minimum outlay, which this does . Not ideal I know but I suppose it’s an option.

Don’t think it looks any worse that what is there at the minute. Don’t know if we could maybe add corporate lounge / boxes or even another level above this proposal. All about maximising seats / income with the minimum outlay, which this does . Not ideal I know but I suppose it’s an option.
If it’s true what’s being said about the Roof then perhaps it’s the only viable option.

I think most of us would be more than happy with it and a capacity of 56,000 and refreshed stadium surrounds and concourses fit for 2023 without any huge spend is the way to go.

The problem is we seem to just make excuses for not doing any improvements at all and dismiss everything out of hand.

I think it looks pretty awful but it's an option to improve capacity.

I dont think the report was ever released was it? - I assume the pictures were leaked given the quality.
It only looks boxy because the picture doesn’t include the thin curved new screens above the seating.Once that’s in it would look tremendous

Back