Current Ibrox Stadium Problems and Future Redevelopments

The cost of renovating part of the stadium will affect us on the park in the immediate future but long term it is vital we at least equal parkhead by capacity.
This sort of work can be financed completely independently from the normal day to day operation, and it doesn’t need to impact budgets.

If we need say £30M, this can be borrowed and the profit from those seats say 6K @ £600 conservatively each year would bring in £3.5M+

If 1K of those seats were hospitality, they could bring in £5M+ per year alone.

This, for 10 years would pay off the finance completely based on normal seating. If we incorporate VIP seating then it’s rocket fuel.

Wherever the money eventually comes from needs to be paid back, but it should be generated by these new seats and ringfenced as a separate venture from the normal operation.

Don’t think it looks any worse that what is there at the minute. Don’t know if we could maybe add corporate lounge / boxes or even another level above this proposal. All about maximising seats / income with the minimum outlay, which this does . Not ideal I know but I suppose it’s an option.
This IMO is the best way forward for the corners. Strip and clear the insides to make 3/4 levels of lounges with balconies of seats in front of each level. Possible to add around 1000 “premium” seats. Curved Screens can added above. No need to change supports as reconfigured pullers can still remain in the bars etc

This IMO is the best way forward for the corners. Strip and clear the insides to make 3/4 levels of lounges with balconies of seats in front of each level. Possible to add around 1000 “premium” seats. Curved Screens can added above. No need to change supports as reconfigured pullers can still remain in the bars etc
Kind of what I suggested above the proposed cantilever in the corners but your idea sounds cheaper and easier

This sort of work can be financed completely independently from the normal day to day operation, and it doesn’t need to impact budgets.

If we need say £30M, this can be borrowed and the profit from those seats say 6K @ £600 conservatively each year would bring in £3.5M+

If 1K of those seats were hospitality, they could bring in £5M+ per year alone.

This, for 10 years would pay off the finance completely based on normal seating. If we incorporate VIP seating then it’s rocket fuel.

Wherever the money eventually comes from needs to be paid back, but it should be generated by these new seats and ringfenced as a separate venture from the normal operation.
Your 30m loan over 10 years costs 45m at 9% apr. £4.5m a year is a hefty sum to be spending on 6k extra seats for the next ten years. If you're not going to see the benefit of the spend until the 10 year period is over then it doesn't provide any return on the field over that period and the business weighs it up against investment or loans that can provide tangible return on the field within the 10 years.

Your 30m loan over 10 years costs 45m at 9% apr. £4.5m a year is a hefty sum to be spending on 6k extra seats for the next ten years. If you're not going to see the benefit of the spend until the 10 year period is over then it doesn't provide any return on the field over that period and the business weighs it up against investment or loans that can provide tangible return on the field within the 10 years.
That’s a fair point mate, but the model of the club is self sustaining with the pillars of income, 1 of which is player trading. We shouldn’t be needing loans of anywhere near that amount for player investment.

I think it’s worth nothing the club have already invested heavily in bricks and mortar long term revenue generating projects like Ed House and the BSL, so it’s clearly a route they’d be willing to consider.

There’s no right answer, my point was just that in theory it doesn’t need to come out of a transfer kitty if we wanted to make it happen.

To cover your extoritation interest rate assumption, we’ll need up up it to 2k VIP seats now ;)

That’s a fair point mate, but the model of the club is self sustaining with the pillars of income, 1 of which is player trading. We shouldn’t be needing loans of anywhere near that amount for player investment.

I think it’s worth nothing the club have already invested heavily in bricks and mortar long term revenue generating projects like Ed House and the BSL, so it’s clearly a route they’d be willing to consider.

There’s no right answer, my point was just that in theory it doesn’t need to come out of a transfer kitty if we wanted to make it happen.

To cover your extoritation interest rate assumption, we’ll need up up it to 2k VIP seats now ;)
Agree we shouldn't be needing loans for that level of player investment. More so a recognition that this board would probably use that as their business case against it akin to the mythical promised land of champions league revenue that drops by a significant percentage when we actually get there.

You could sell them as bonds too and get fans involved. Depending on how it’s priced, I believe you could get a few thousand fans willing to spend £ depending on the perks

You could sell them as bonds too and get fans involved. Depending on how it’s priced, I believe you could get a few thousand fans willing to spend £ depending on the perks
Great Shout, I have said before link it to MyGers points and you will stump up some funding

It’s a catch 22.
50,000 stadium is going to be a run of mill capacity in the coming years
Players would likely choose a Southampton or WBA etc before us
One of the attractions of Ibrox Park was that it was one of the top 4/5 stadiums in UK capacity wise. This used to be a selling point in attracting decent players
Wouldn’t turn heads these days
Now imagine Ibrox is 65,000 and player has to choose between Rangers (and the SPL) but with the caveat of huge crowds
This would separate us from mid table EPL teams, and the majority of European clubs, and make us the 2nd biggest club stadium in UK.
One of the reasons Benefica (playing in a similar league - the SPL has a higher average attendance interestingly) can attract top players is the Stadium capacity.

It’s a catch 22.
50,000 stadium is going to be a run of mill capacity in the coming years
Players would likely choose a Southampton or WBA etc before us
One of the attractions of Ibrox Park was that it was one of the top 4/5 stadiums in UK capacity wise. This used to be a selling point in attracting decent players
Wouldn’t turn heads these days
Now imagine Ibrox is 65,000 and player has to choose between Rangers (and the SPL) but with the caveat of huge crowds
This would separate us from mid table EPL teams, and the majority of European clubs, and make us the 2nd biggest club stadium in UK.
One of the reasons Benefica (playing in a similar league - the SPL has a higher average attendance interestingly) can attract top players is the Stadium capacity.
I would be amazed if any footballer at the level we play at would make a decision based on who had more seats above 50,000

I would be amazed if any footballer at the level we play at would make a decision based on who had more seats above 50,000
It has been suggested that our spanking new stadium in the 80s at a time when most grounds down south and the one over the city were dumps was used as a pull factor by Mr Souness when he arrived

It has been suggested that our spanking new stadium in the 80s at a time when most grounds down south and the one over the city were dumps was used as a pull factor by Mr Souness when he arrived
That was the 80's, its completely different thing now.

The pull for us were Souness, winning the league, playing in European and not banned like English clubs due to Heysel.

That was the 80's, its completely different thing now.

The pull for us were Souness, winning the league, playing in European and not banned like English clubs due to Heysel.
I don’t think having the UK’s best stadium at the time did any harm to be fair. Although I get what you’re saying it wasn’t a driving factor for the success of our recruitment at the time

I agree. It’s not 1986 anymore, where a player will make a decision based on us having the best stadium.

If a player was offered Burnley right now, they’d be an exciting project with Kompany and the way they play - and their stadium is a dump.

I do think it is a factor for players probably not the deciding one I’d grant you, with Ibrox about to be surpassed in capacity again (Everton, Villa etc) it is in danger of becoming a run of the mill ground to outsiders

I do think it is a factor for players probably not the deciding one I’d grant you, with Ibrox about to be surpassed in capacity again (Everton, Villa etc) it is in danger of becoming a run of the mill ground to outsiders
I think it's a reality that we'll continue to be surpassed in capacity/facilties by English premiership clubs with the money going around.

Our stadium will never be run of the mill though, you can't buy history.

I think it's a reality that we'll continue to be surpassed in capacity/facilties by English premiership clubs with the money going around.

I get that but beyond the sentimental connection the stadium will continue to decline in standards unfortunately

It’s amazing to us as fans, but I doubt that a young Scandinavian/African/South American/Eastern European player really cares about how many historic mementos we have in the trophy room, or the listed status of our Main Stand.

The issue on lowering the pitch was the time the works would take. I understood it could not be done in a close season and would need us to play elsewhere while it was done.
If we had to play at hampden for 6-12 months to allow the club to add 3000-5000 seats to the stadium, I’m sure no one would care too much. A minor inconvenience in the grand scheme

If we had to play at hampden for 6-12 months to allow the club to add 3000-5000 seats to the stadium, I’m sure no one would care too much. A minor inconvenience in the grand scheme
It’s just excuse after excuse as to why we can no longer do any work on the stadium. Lowering the pitch was done in one summer during the 90s and five rows added to all the stands. Fast forward 25 years and it just can’t be done? Have building skills and methods regressed?

It’s just excuse after excuse as to why we can no longer do any work on the stadium. Lowering the pitch was done in one summer during the 90s and five rows added to all the stands. Fast forward 25 years and it just can’t be done? Have building skills and methods regressed?
Could have implications on the pitch size if you go down too far? Potentially result in certain seats becoming restricted view?

Who knows

Could have implications on the pitch size if you go down too far? Potentially result in certain seats becoming restricted view?

Who knows
The poster above said it was down to not being able to do it timescale wise during close season. I’m pointing out we’ve already done it during* a close season 20 odd years ago. No reason why that can’t be done again,unless building methods have regressed badly

I know Rangers had a feasibility study done on this and my recollection was this is what Stewart Roberson said.

He may have said it mate but those of us who had season tickets all through the 90s would have been able to tell him it was done before during one close season. It sounds like just another excuse.
Possibly it was just an excuse. It would be a decent question to ask our new CEO at the meetings he is holding. I have been a season ticket holder since the 80s ,first game in 1961, and have vaguely remember the pitch being lowered. I would love to see the ground expanded.

He may have said it mate but those of us who had season tickets all through the 90s would have been able to tell him it was done before during one close season. It sounds like just another excuse.

Do we know the works being proposed now are like for like from the 90s ?

Are the pre seasons now shorter ? Meaning timescales would be too tight ?

Possibly it was just an excuse. It would be a decent question to ask our new CEO at the meetings he is holding. I have been a season ticket holder since the 80s ,first game in 1961, and have vaguely remember the pitch being lowered. I would love to see the ground expanded.
Maybe if people asked proper questions at AGM's instead of stupid pointless crap, we would officially know where the club stands on a lot of issues....

I think having a slightly smaller pitch would be an acceptable compromise to getting an extra 5-6k seats added in by lowering it as far as possible. The UEFA rules are 100–105m long and 64–68m wide. Ibrox at the moment is 105m-69m though not sure it that's up to date.

With the distance between the pitch at the moment and the stands you could probably fit another 5 rows potentially although very difficult to visualise how it would look. Grounds like Old Trafford and Anfield the pitch is almost right next to the first row of seats.

Back