Current Ibrox Stadium Problems and Future Redevelopments

I think while we are in the position where we struggle to construct a memorial garden and a glorified social club, any wholesale changes to the stadium will remain firmly in the 'moonbeams' category.

I'm not being overly critical of the board here as we know the situation they inherited.

There's no chance we'll reconstruct the three 70's stands until we are absolutely forced into it.

I think while we are in the position where we struggle to construct a memorial garden and a glorified social club, any wholesale changes to the stadium will remain firmly in the 'moonbeams' category.

I'm not being overly critical of the board here as we know the situation they inherited.

There's no chance we'll reconstruct the three 70's stands until we are absolutely forced into it.
Yeah 100% I just feel for the Copland and and Broomloan, there is opportunity there to find a solution to go into the office space to redevelop the concourses. Like what they are doing with Argyle House etc. Potential is there and it cost a hell of alot less than rebuild. Club concentrate on upgrading the facilities we have.

Yeah 100% I just feel for the Copland and and Broomloan, there is opportunity there to find a solution to go into the office space to redevelop the concourses. Like what they are doing with Argyle House etc. Potential is there and it cost a hell of alot less than rebuild. Club concentrate on upgrading the facilities we have.
Assuming the stands are structurally sound then I think this is a good idea. If we improved the concourses and managed to find some kind of cladding for the outside to replace the red bricks, concrete and brown metalwork then there's no huge rush to start from scratch. If the three stands are safe, clean and looked a wee bit sexier from the outside then we've still got a damn fine stadium.

Up at Ibrox today having a look in the shop. Socomec sponsored tops will be released in the next two-three weeks at all Rangers Stores across the UK.

Plenty of Molton Brown soap dispensers available to buy sitting on the shelf beside the checkouts, in a football shop...

Work ongoing on the Broomloan and Sandy Jardine Stand roofs to replace old cladding

Ticket Office Portacabin has been repainted in royal blue and a new Rangers crest has been placed next to the entrance steps.

Last edited:
Why are people now saying rip the 3 stands down. In ideal world maybe but Considering we are putting fresh hospitality in the SJ I highly doubt the 3 stands would ever be rebuilt In my lifetime haha

Why are people now saying rip the 3 stands down. In ideal world maybe but Considering we are putting fresh hospitality in the SJ I highly doubt the 3 stands would ever be rebuilt In my lifetime haha
No stands will be ripped down. A refurb is needed across the stadium and footprint.

Hospitality needs increased. Optimise what we have. Add seats where we can for low cost to increase capacity to 55k. Improve facility for the handicapped. Concourses , toilets, immediate surrounds of ground upgraded. Use the office space in the stands for more hospitality packages.

Forget “filling in the corners” it’s never going to happen. What can happen there is buy new , proper curved screens that fit perfectly into the corners and will look magnificent , will also hide the horrible grey cladding which currently surrounds our “big screens” that in the modern day are like tiny portable pixelated TVs from 1982.

Implement safe standing, proper wifi, a proper matchday DJ who is prepared to let go of the 1990 “megamix” CD and actually announce subs.

All of the above is achievable and realistic and essential. Seeing nonsensical fantasy rubbish about knocking down three stands and 74,000 capacity is energy sapping and tedious codswallop.

Where would people sit if a sponsor came in to rename Ibrox in like a 10 year deal but in return they paid the money to knock down the 3 stands and rebuild ?

Good old Scotland forced into the we cant do logic.Remember we were pioneers of the all seater stadium what has changed from then?

What can happen there is buy new , proper curved screens that fit perfectly into the corners and will look magnificent , will also hide the horrible grey cladding which currently surrounds our “big screens”
the grey cladding is hiding the support structure for the Copland, broomloan and Govan stand roofs. To remove the cladding and make space for curved screens would require similar engineering works as just filling in the corners with seats.

We either follow the dortmund model, building massive exterior supports to take the weight of the roofs thus freeing up the space behind the cladding, or keep what we have.

I have been thinking about this since Neville commented on old Trafford on Monday, is there a time span on when Ibrox would need to be worked on?

Where would people sit if a sponsor came in to rename Ibrox in like a 10 year deal but in return they paid the money to knock down the 3 stands and rebuild ?
Take it in a heartbeat. The true name will always remain to those that need it but the world moves on. Could be a game changer. It's still the same stadium despite a name change with the same smells, memories and history.

The Rolls Royce Ibrox Arena.

Would never happen, but in a heart beat yeah. Imagine 3 modern stands that meant everyone could get a season ticket? That meant disabled fans could get a 21st century matchday experience? Absolutely. It will always be Ibrox to me

Complete nonsense unfortunately but capacity increase should be our number one long-term priority.

A 10k difference at £500 a ticket is 5M a year. So in the 20 odd years they’ve had the bigger capacity it’s somewhere in the region of 100M.

I know there would be a fair amount of juvenile tickets in 10k but just used £500 for easier sums. Argument still stands though, we need to find ways to fund expansion.

You'd genuinely have ST holders raging at losing "mah seat fur the past 30 years" and having to go to Hampden while the stadium is redeveloped if/when it happens and cursing it forever more.

Personally I like the idea of a total rebuild and know that while it is a work of art and so integral to our history, the main stand will not last forever and at some point will have to go. Even if we retained the listed parts there would need to be succession plan for the time when the main stand needs redevelopment, so it may make sense to also rebuild it or at least make changes to the seating/stands to integrate it into the rebuild as well.

There is nothing to stop us creating a new main stand in the same style with the traditional features but make it even more grand than the current design is. (apart from available £££ of course).

If money was no object though, do it and also buy up at least some of the industrial space to the North and West for more parking and matchday facilities.

Complete nonsense unfortunately but capacity increase should be our number one long-term priority.

A 10k difference at £500 a ticket is 5M a year. So in the 20 odd years they’ve had the bigger capacity it’s somewhere in the region of 100M.

I know there would be a fair amount of juvenile tickets in 10k but just used £500 for easier sums. Argument still stands though, we need to find ways to fund expansion.
Conservatively, a hospitality season ticket costs £6k minimum. An average season ticket costs £600. The club can acheive your revenue target by adding 1k seats through reconfiguration (blue sky Lounge adding a few hundred, similar extensions to club 72 on the Copland and broomloan etc).

The demand for hospitality is greater than ever, and people seem to have deep pockets who use it. The club can drive this income without significant costs of adding new tiers and replacing entire roofs that would be necessary to add 10k ‘cheap seats’

You'd genuinely have ST holders raging at losing "mah seat fur the past 30 years" and having to go to Hampden while the stadium is redeveloped if/when it happens and cursing it forever more.

Personally I like the idea of a total rebuild and know that while it is a work of art and so integral to our history, the main stand will not last forever and at some point will have to go. Even if we retained the listed parts there would need to be succession plan for the time when the main stand needs redevelopment, so it may make sense to also rebuild it or at least make changes to the seating/stands to integrate it into the rebuild as well.

There is nothing to stop us creating a new main stand in the same style with the traditional features but make it even more grand than the current design is. (apart from available £££ of course).

If money was no object though, do it and also buy up at least some of the industrial space to the North and West for more parking and matchday facilities.
I’m 35 and don’t expect to see a new stadium, or stand for that matter, in my lifetime. I just can’t see where the money would come from.

The cost of raw materials alone has risen exponentially even since the 2000s. The best I think we can hope for is a full refurbishment of what we have, perhaps even closure of stands for a while in years to come to give them a ‘heavy check’ similar to an aircraft after every 20 years of service. This might look like a complete rip out of the plumbing, turnstiles, kiosks and treating the stands like they’d just been built and were being kitted out from scratch.

Good old Scotland forced into the we cant do logic.Remember we were pioneers of the all seater stadium what has changed from then?
Dunno if the growing disparity in finances between Scotland and other footballing nations has passed you by, but that’s what’s changed.

Definitely agree with the sentiment. The cash is the obvious drawback. Nothing lasts forever. For me its about how we move tradition forward, thats the key question

the grey cladding is hiding the support structure for the Copland, broomloan and Govan stand roofs. To remove the cladding and make space for curved screens would require similar engineering works as just filling in the corners with seats.

We either follow the dortmund model, building massive exterior supports to take the weight of the roofs thus freeing up the space behind the cladding, or keep what we have.

The Dortmund model is what we should be aiming for afterall Ibrox was modelled on their stadium.

Looking like another agm talking about the same issues . Capacity increases , safe standing, disabled facilities . That must be 3 years in a row maybe 4. The club can’t keep saying they are working on these things

Screens don’t take anywhere near the engineering as what would be required to support more seats.

Build the screens round what’s there and you don’t need to move anything. They can be custom made.

Screens don’t take anywhere near the engineering as what would be required to support more seats.

Build the screens round what’s there and you don’t need to move anything. They can be custom made.
Take a walk around the Govan West Corner next to the ticket office mate. The reason the screens go in a straight line is because the steelwork holding the place together goes in a straight line. If you want to make a space for nice big curved screens like you’ve said you need to make room for them somehow.

In any case, I don’t think the screens matter that much they’d go and shell out more money than they have to. Weve just invested in the mid tier LEDs that do much of the job the screens were meant for - team news, advertising etc. and we don’t do beambacks anymore either.

The corners will stay the way they are IMO unless it’s going to drive extra revenue in terms of ticket sales or increase hospitality seating.

Michael said this was confirmed. Yes club said intentions about 2 years ago but Stewart Robertson said on RTV plans were not finalised. Amazed how he can confirm this without showing evidence on club plans
He'll post any old nonsense to pretend to be ahead of the game - had to delete something the other week because he jumped the gun. Pretends to be ITK but my cat's got more of a clue.

Why can't people go 90 mins without a trip to the bog? If you can't last out 90 mins stay home or buy a nappy. Nothing worse than getting up for a big worshipper to rub his way past you on his way there and back to do his business. Probably a member of subway loyal too who can't wait to get home to his own bog and his roll of Scott Brown bog paper.
jesus wept, what a strange take on the situation.

Back