Current Ibrox Stadium Problems and Future Redevelopments

Genuinely think Seanonce has tapped the Ibrox boardroom phones

Even if he has tapped the boardroom phones at Ibrox and the Training Centre and tunes in from Caledonian MacBrayne ferries in Stornoway, he's still giving us more news about future developments than Rangers actually do which is the scary thing!

Was thinking about this the other day (because why not?) and I think there could be an option to just fully demolish the broomload stand and start again. The original structure remains in essence to what we had before the TV/corner infill, so you could re-design a new stand with a few features in mind - bigger capacity, disabled seating, hiding the away fans further up the stand, hospitality etc, that wraps round to join the Govan, (and could even do the same towards the main stand - 'closing the gap').

0_GP34273492.jpg

Obviously cost/reward might still not be there, the overall symmetrical aesthetic to the ground would be lost and you would still have a 'dead' area of space where you don't have sightliness due to the Goven stand pillar, but if well enough designed it could overcome these.

Very much pie in the sky etc etc but just another option should we find ourselves with a spare £200m kicking about when Elon Musk decides to invest.

Absolute bam pottery of the highest order.

Difficult to believe any sane bear is taken in by this.

Ibrox badly needs money spent on the concourses, surrounds , the handicapped, hospitality expansions, new proper modern curved screens for the corners, the office space within and corridors. It will cost a good few million just to do all that.

Any capacity increase will come as and when we can do it, with small incremental changes perhaps taking us up around 55,000 if we play our cards right and do it smartly.

We will never have or need a 72,000 capacity stadium unless we move on from playing in the Scottish league.
We would need 72,000 now for Champs League, decent Europa League games, derby games, title deciders (and possibly run ins)
Big Clubs across Europe don’t fill their stadiums for run of the mill games
Why do wee need to be different?
The fact we need 50k for Killie and St J tells you everything about our small capacity

Michael said this was confirmed. Yes club said intentions about 2 years ago but Stewart Robertson said on RTV plans were not finalised. Amazed how he can confirm this without showing evidence on club plans
He will have alerts set up on planning portals on Glasgow City council website to be notified when club submits applications.

Its why he actually doesnt know anything beyond what he can find in these notifications.

I wonder if is possible and what the cost would be to build two single tier stands with a screen above each to fill the gaps?

Hopefully we can then look into filling in the corners where the current screens sit, if that is possible.

I wonder if is possible and what the cost would be to build two single tier stands with a screen above each to fill the gaps?

Hopefully we can then look into filling in the corners where the current screens sit, if that is possible.
Filling in the corners is the only way to increase capacity as the current stadium model stands.

I have been thinking about this since Neville commented on old Trafford on Monday, is there a time span on when Ibrox would need to be worked on?
If it’s maintained properly then it’ll last for decades to come. It’s an an age now where it’s getting serious roof works done etc. but these will be good for another 30+ years if they service the place properly.

Filling in the corners is the only way to increase capacity as the current stadium model stands.
its not really, the 3 stands were built with foundations and strength to allow a 3rd tier to be built on each one.

removing the screens would be a massive cost for little return as the steel work behind them hold up the roofs so would need new roof supports if they were removed, would be easier to just remove the roofs and put a 3rd tier on

Can someone explain how the screens hold up the adjacent stands roofs .As when originally built the stands were 3 free standing structures with goal post supports for holding the roofs in place.

Can someone explain how the screens hold up the adjacent stands roofs .As when originally built the stands were 3 free standing structures with goal post supports for holding the roofs in place.
Yes the stands had goal posts structure before. If you take away the screens and the beems that are there in corner. You don't have anything supporting the roof structure for the copland to Sandy Jardine nor Sandy Jardine to Broomloan. If we fill in corners we would need to look at exterior support like dortmund for example

The original side cladding part, like we still have at the main stand side of Copland and Broomloan, was removed at each end of the three stands.

I was working in the Ibrox area during the construction of the corners, we used to marvel at the amount of steelwork that was installed. Its certainly a substantial structure behind the screens.

The ferry stewards favourite way to start an ITK tweet is "That it has been brought to my attention" followed by something tweeted by Rangers

Even if he has tapped the boardroom phones at Ibrox and the Training Centre and tunes in from Caledonian MacBrayne ferries in Stornoway, he's still giving us more news about future developments than Rangers actually do which is the scary thing!
I genuinely don't know why so many supporters get annoyed with the guy and actually abuse him, by calling him names! He gives loads of very informative information, like you say more than the club does and he is a fellow bear. I find it disgusting that people abuse him the way they do. Same people who are happy to read posts of what people are having for dinner, drinking and just pure random p!sh that people post on social media, but are happy to abuse this lad for sharing info that nobody else would go and search for from various outlets. Bizarre!

Was thinking about this the other day (because why not?) and I think there could be an option to just fully demolish the broomload stand and start again. The original structure remains in essence to what we had before the TV/corner infill, so you could re-design a new stand with a few features in mind - bigger capacity, disabled seating, hiding the away fans further up the stand, hospitality etc, that wraps round to join the Govan, (and could even do the same towards the main stand - 'closing the gap').

0_GP34273492.jpg

Obviously cost/reward might still not be there, the overall symmetrical aesthetic to the ground would be lost and you would still have a 'dead' area of space where you don't have sightliness due to the Goven stand pillar, but if well enough designed it could overcome these.

Very much pie in the sky etc etc but just another option should we find ourselves with a spare £200m kicking about when Elon Musk decides to invest.
200m to get rid of the telly?

Surely easier just to put a tier on the Govan

200m to get rid of the telly?
My father in law maintains that the original Jumbotrons were swapped out for smaller, inferior models when they started putting cladding around the tvs.

It could be that screen size thing where you get used to the big tv over time where a 55” feels like a portable now.

We would need 72,000 now for Champs League, decent Europa League games, derby games, title deciders (and possibly run ins)
Big Clubs across Europe don’t fill their stadiums for run of the mill games
Why do wee need to be different?
The fact we need 50k for Killie and St J tells you everything about our small capacity
This

Madrid ,Barca,Milan etc
Don't fill their grounds every game. You need room for bigger crowds for the bigger games.

Sure on a cold Wednesday night against Ross County etc we might only get 45k or so
But the majority of games we would not be far off 60 k if we achieved that capacity .

People are desperate to see Rangers games at Ibrox and any new capacity increase would sell season tickets no problem,we are possibly the most popular we have ever been in our history.

Last edited:
This

Madrid ,Barca,Milan etc
Don't fill their grounds every game. You need room for bigger crowds for the bigger games.

Sure on a cold Wednesday night against Ross County etc we might only get 45k or so
But the majority of games we would not be far off 60 k we achieved that capacity .

People are desperate to see Rangers games at Ibrox and any new capacity increase would sell season tickets no problem,we are possibly the most popular we have ever been in our history.
Definitely the most popular in my years as a STH. I can’t make the Ross County game and seatsub was the best option for me, both tickets sold already.

I don’t think the current board have any intention of increasing capacity to 60k. 55k if we’re lucky and they find a workable solution to the corners and/or we get some level of safe standing (1.3 to 1 ratio at best).

It’s all about getting existing supporters to pay more by improving the facilities. It wouldn’t surprise me if they revisited the Club Deck as a means of increasing revenue.

The concourse and toilets aren’t in a dreadful state yet and we’re told these are “premium” seats for away fans on European nights. The spider cam was a great advert for the Club Deck last season in Europe also.

I'd be delighted if we could squeeze another half a dozen rows around the bottom.. replace the seats and the screens with with far bigger ones.

Definitely the most popular in my years as a STH. I can’t make the Ross County game and seatsub was the best option for me, both tickets sold already.

I don’t think the current board have any intention of increasing capacity to 60k. 55k if we’re lucky and they find a workable solution to the corners and/or we get some level of safe standing (1.3 to 1 ratio at best).

It’s all about getting existing supporters to pay more by improving the facilities. It wouldn’t surprise me if they revisited the Club Deck as a means of increasing revenue.

The concourse and toilets aren’t in a dreadful state yet and we’re told these are “premium” seats for away fans on European nights. The spider cam was a great advert for the Club Deck last season in Europe also.
agree mate .

I can understand the board squeezing as much revenue out the existing seating and introducing more corporate and hospitality area's.
But we can only go so far before a major refurbishing is needed and not just a makeover to the toilets and concourse's etc.
Hopefully the board have a medium to long term plan for the stadium and at some point they let us know about it .

agree mate .

I can understand the board squeezing as much revenue out the existing seating and introducing more corporate and hospitality area's.
But we can only go so far before a major refurbishing is needed and not just a makeover to the toilets and concourse's etc.
Hopefully the board have a medium to long term plan for the stadium and at some point they let us know about it .
My thoughts are new seating. Concourses and toilets re furnished , both won’t need mega money . With the exterior of three stands with new windows and a new exterior cladding system . I do not expect any large increase in seating unless we have a good few years of CL money

No, to completely rebuild the broomloan stand at a, for arguments sake, 15k capacity.
So that would increase capacity by about 7500. Multiply that by what would be 500 a season ticket is 3.5m / yr. could add catering etc but it's hard to see a payback on that although it would be spectacular.

We can't do anything remotely at the 200m mark from economic perspective. Safe standing, upgrading the whole environment around the stadium and charging a bit more as it's a great day out looks the most practical way unless we got sky riches which sadly isn't happening.

Only possibility of getting big money is renaming and in a euro league. Then it's possible but prob not 200m?

So that would increase capacity by about 7500. Multiply that by what would be 500 a season ticket is 3.5m / yr. could add catering etc but it's hard to see a payback on that although it would be spectacular.

We can't do anything remotely at the 200m mark from economic perspective. Safe standing, upgrading the whole environment around the stadium and charging a bit more as it's a great day out looks the most practical way unless we got sky riches which sadly isn't happening.

Only possibility of getting big money is renaming and in a euro league. Then it's possible but prob not 200m?
I didn't think about it that much mate :))

I'm just plucking figures out of the air, but sure, sell the stadium rights, incorporate a hospitality mid-tier, safe-standing. Point being it's an alternative to the fill in the corner option.

I genuinely don't know why so many supporters get annoyed with the guy and actually abuse him, by calling him names! He gives loads of very informative information, like you say more than the club does and he is a fellow bear. I find it disgusting that people abuse him the way they do. Same people who are happy to read posts of what people are having for dinner, drinking and just pure random p!sh that people post on social media, but are happy to abuse this lad for sharing info that nobody else would go and search for from various outlets. Bizarre!
The problem is when you ask him a question or it's not quite true he gets all defensive.

My thoughts are new seating. Concourses and toilets re furnished , both won’t need mega money . With the exterior of three stands with new windows and a new exterior cladding system . I do not expect any large increase in seating unless we have a good few years of CL money
Your right about a good few years of CL money mate ,that's definitely required for anything major being done .

but one thing i would love to see done first is new seating in the whole stadium ,it really would transform the whole place ,I remember the first time I went to Ibrox when we went to all blue seats and it was amazing looking

Ibrox featured in a FIFA game for the first time since FIFA99.

It has been a long time coming! Just know the club is getting back to the top with a monumental partnership like this.

Ibrox was in PES 2020, but I believe you had to actually buy it in a downloadable pack from the PlayStation store after Christmas. Not only a complete rip-off, but PES is nowhere near as good as FIFA!

It has been a long time coming! Just know the club is getting back to the top with a monumental partnership like this.

Ibrox was in PES 2020, but I believe you had to actually buy it in a downloadable pack from the PlayStation store after Christmas. Not only a complete rip-off, but PES is nowhere near as good as FIFA!
It took months for Konami to add Ibrox to the game after the release. EA will be a much more professional partner.

With money coming in for Patterson, Bassey and Aribo, £40 million for qualifying for the Champions League, and roughly a further £8 million to be made from our 3 home match package...

Would Rangers please actually spend some money on doing up the stadium!

John Bennett saying supporters will find out what plans the board have put in place for future developments at the upcoming AGM...

Why can we not get a ticket office that is open every day with an actual phone number and email address before the AGM, how hard can it be?

Last edited:
Is there anything stopping main stand joining the copland and broomloan stands?
The ends of the main stand are way behind the bye lines, it’s longer than the Sandy Jardine stand so you couldn’t replicate the corners that were done in the 90s.

Back