Curtis Woodhouse on Ryan Giggs

jdm1873

I personally agree with him about Giggs.

Look at those stats. We have full backs with better stats than those. He played in a great team which dominated. Yes he won lots of trophies but he is often remembered for his goal against Arsenal.

David May won 7 trophies.
Darren Fletcher (who I do rate) won 13 trophies.
John O'Shea won 14 trophies
Owen Hargreaves won 12 trophies in his career.
Wes Brown won 13 trophies

cullybear

Giggs was a very good footballer but can see Curtis' point about stats etc. From this perspective, Giggs does not look special. But he did redefine his playing style and position later in his career.

However he has, what, 13 league medals? And 2 European Cups. Not too shabby.
I don't see how the fact he changed position later in his career has got anything to do with it unless he was world class in his new position. John Barnes did the same, but i know who was the better player in both his original (goalscoring winger, but not in Giggs case) and midfielder.

GREGRFC

I have said this before regarding Giggs. He wasn’t as good as he was made out and that showed when at times he couldn’t get a game for Man Utd. As the poorly constructed article said, of course he was a good player but he wasn’t a great one.

Sir Alex Ferguson obviously rated him which counts for more than anyone’s opinion on here but he did also try and sell him.

Hammerinho

He was a tremendous football player and a mainstay of a Man Utd team that dominated for over a decade. Also had the skill and footballing brain to reinvent his playing style after he lost half a yard of pace.

Overrated ffs :D

Neptune

Free kicks great.But his overall game?He was probably the most famous footballer in the world at 1 point and I genuinely don't think he was ever truly world class. That's why I think he was vastly overrated his fame and name recognition never came close to what he could actually do on the field imo.
Dear God

savus

its all about trophy's:

13 times English Champions
2 Champions League Winners
4 FA Cup
4 League Cup
1 FIFA World Club Champion
1 Intercontinental Winner
1 UEFA Super Cup
He does seem like a right damp squid off the park.
He did mess around with his brothers partner.

But how can he be questioned as a player with that list of winners’ medals?

Somewhere else on FF this would be called a “head shot”.

JMCK

its all about trophy's:

4 FA Cup
4 League Cup
1 UEFA Super Cup
But, apart from that.

FullTimePint

I think its easier for athletic, nippy players to get a game now in a 433 that all about pressing. Giggs played tricky wingers role, at a time when the english league was all about physicality.
I do kind of see where woodhouse is coming from, but i think he overlooks the fact that Fergie didnt want 'one man teams' in the way Gerrard was at liverpool. Its easier to stand out and shine when the whole team is built around you. Maybe the closest man utd ever got to building a team around someone was Cantona.

Dado's Bandage

Threads like this just emphasise that football managers should completely ignore the opinions of supporters when it comes to players.

Woodhouse has got the attention he craved. Some saying he never had any outstanding seasons? Hilarious stuff. He was given the PFA Players Player of the Year award in 08/09, this 18 years after breaking through. Was picked by his fellow players for numerous PFA teams of the year and is one of British football’s most decorated players of all time.

Some folk go on social media and then claim he was average? It’s the equivalent of a labourer claiming that Stephen Hawkins wasn’t as clever as he thought he was.

Tom Petty

Using modern stats against him is just stupid. The role of a left winger and any of the midfield 4 in a classic 4-4-2 is completely different to that in a modern 4-2-3-1. Goals and assists are shared across the four and your front two does the rest. The fact they won every year should tell you that.

Davie Cooper averaged about 6 goals a season. That's less than the 8 Ryan Kent was criticised for last season. It would be daft to use Kent to belittle Cooper.

By the time Giggs got to that modern football, he'd rebuilt his game to be player of the year in a side which contained Ronaldo (Ballon d'Or holder), Rooney and Tevez.

westenclosurebear

I can kind of see his point. Giggs was a very good player but I wouldn't label him as top drawer or world class.

Remember the hype surrounding Giggs when he was a teenager ? He didn't come close to that potential
Wonder how you would rate DF and his career.

Follow Follow All the Way

Trusted by one of the best in history for 20 years. English footballs most decorated player. Averaged a goal/assist every other game over 750 Premier League and Champions League games.

Cretin of a guy and definitely had poor seasons in his time but to argue he's overrated is crazy. Scary to think how good that United team would have been if they didn't have a donkey out on the left wing all those years.

CR7

Official Ticketer
Depend how highly you think he was rated I suppose, he is not one of the top players in the last 25 years for me but for some he possibly is and if that’s the case then I would say that he is overrated to place him up there with the ronaldos, Gerrards etc

jdm1873

I do like Woodhouse. Calling out the troll who sending abusive messages by turning up at his house.

dt17

A mate of mine.....
its all about trophy's:

4 FA Cup
4 League Cup
1 UEFA Super Cup
Except it's not. Because if we go purely on trophy count then Shovkovskiy and Maxwell are two of the top 10 players of all time...

BTW I wonder how many people have actually read anything that Woodhouse said or if they just seen the headline and jumped on it.

He says Giggs undoubtedly played a huge part in Man Utd's success under Fergie, however that doesn't mean he wasn't overrated in terms of being genuinely world class.

He also said the same about Scholes and backed it up with facts. Scholes seems to have got better with every passing year that he's retired. If he was so good why did he never win Man Utd's player of the year (Heinze, Hernandez and Valencia have all won it). He was only in the PFA Team of the Year twice in his career. Never anywhere near it in the Ballon d'Or lists. This was in comparison to Gerrard and Lampard btw, who were streets ahead of him in terms of stats and individual awards.

Scholes' biggest accolades nowadays seem to be that Zidane supposedly mentioned him being one of the best in the world at some point in time.

dt17

A mate of mine.....
More people agreeing with Curtis Woodhouse than Sir Alex Ferguson says it all really.
As good as he was, he made a right few howlers.

He let Pogba leave on a free and played Phil Jones in centre mid instead of him.

He signed Bebe based on an internet rumour that he was good.

aghalee_hero

Official Ticketer
If you think Giggs was overrated you don't know much about football. I actually think when people talk about past players he is underrated. Sounds like Ryan shagged his wife tbh.

The Janny

Ask yourselves if he would have played in any of our great teams, answer I imagine is yes, horrible man though.

Ubik

Except it's not. Because if we go purely on trophy count then Shovkovskiy and Maxwell are two of the top 10 players of all time...

BTW I wonder how many people have actually read anything that Woodhouse said or if they just seen the headline and jumped on it.

He says Giggs undoubtedly played a huge part in Man Utd's success under Fergie, however that doesn't mean he wasn't overrated in terms of being genuinely world class.

He also said the same about Scholes and backed it up with facts. Scholes seems to have got better with every passing year that he's retired. If he was so good why did he never win Man Utd's player of the year (Heinze, Hernandez and Valencia have all won it). He was only in the PFA Team of the Year twice in his career. Never anywhere near it in the Ballon d'Or lists. This was in comparison to Gerrard and Lampard btw, who were streets ahead of him in terms of stats and individual awards.

Scholes' biggest accolades nowadays seem to be that Zidane supposedly mentioned him being one of the best in the world at some point in time.
I have to disagree, when playing for top club its about winning Scholes and Giggs were incredibly important players in a successful team.

Paul Scholes:

11 x English Champion
2 x Champions League Winner
1 x FIFA World Club Cup
1 x Intercontinental Winner
etc

imager

Administrator
Staff member

got to say I agree with everything he says.
Sir Alex Ferguson says Giggs is one of the top four Man Utd players of all time, the other three he says you can argue over but Giggs is definitely in the top four, but I suppose someone who gave up at 26 to become a boxer like Woodhouse would know better.