Curtis Woodhouse on Ryan Giggs

Giggs was a very good footballer but can see Curtis' point about stats etc. From this perspective, Giggs does not look special. But he did redefine his playing style and position later in his career.

However he has, what, 13 league medals? And 2 European Cups. Not too shabby.

I find these kind of things laughable. He says similar about Paul Scholes.
Just comes across as a Liverpool fan on the windup. He even had Paul Scholes lad on Twitter giving him abuse!

The facts are both Giggs and Scholes were key players in the most dominant team in premier league history, plus won a couple of champions leagues and 2 more finals for good measure.

One of the telling points I thought he said was. Name a season he was unplayable. Best about.
Other than his break through season he never had one.

His goal against Arsenal in the semi final is up there with the most overrated goals there's been.

The defending is embarrassing. Not one challenge put in, they back off and back off.
If they don’t go on and win the treble that goal doesn’t even make the end of season VHS

Absolute garbage

whatever you think of Giggs he remained a main part of one of Man Utd’s most successful eras and was a top player
Also changed the way he played because as he got older he lost his pace.That is a sign of a great footballer imo.When they lose something as they get older they have the footballing intelligence to change their game and still play at the highest level there is, for me that alone tells you how good the guy was. That's before you ask show me your medals.

It’s all about opinions sir, but I totally disagree about Beckham.

His goals and assists rates in his prime (more so assists granted) would be phenomenal
Free kicks great.But his overall game?He was probably the most famous footballer in the world at 1 point and I genuinely don't think he was ever truly world class. That's why I think he was vastly overrated his fame and name recognition never came close to what he could actually do on the field imo.

One of the telling points I thought he said was. Name a season he was unplayable. Best about.
Other than his break through season he never had one.

Very true. When Giggs broke through Man U had just become the darlings of the EPL and had cash to burn. Giggs was always going to get rave reviews. He was a talent, there is no doubt about that. But Man U had some team and were light years ahead of everyone in that league in the 90's (Arsenal came towards the end).

From about 2000 onwards I can't really say Giggs was outstanding.

The year he won POTY was a sympathy vote. Was that 2010?

Free kicks great.But his overall game?He was probably the most famous footballer in the world at 1 point and I genuinely don't think he was ever truly world class. That's why I think he was vastly overrated his fame and name recognition never came close to what he could actually do on the field imo.

Watch Man Utd’s European games during Beckham’s time.

I would honestly be shocked if he didn’t contribute at least 40% of their assists in Europe with crossed balls (not free kicks) due to continental sides inability to deal with crosses

In technique probably......

But being a top level player is about desire, mental strength and fitness as much as technique. Giggs topped those attributes

Bale won 4 Champions Leagues in 5 years. That's desire and mental strength right there. Scoring the winner in 2 of the finals.

I think Giggs was a very good player, but was fortunate to be playing in the team he was in and in an era when Man U were so rich and dominant (and Manager). Fergie's team should have won a lot more European Cups.

Bale won 4 Champions Leagues in 5 years. That's desire and mental strength right there. Scoring the winner in 2 of the finals.

I think Giggs was a very good player, but was fortunate to be playing in the team he was in and in an era when Man U were so rich and dominant (and Manager). Fergie's team should have won a lot more European Cups.

Can’t really disagree with any of that

I personally agree with him about Giggs.

Look at those stats. We have full backs with better stats than those. He played in a great team which dominated. Yes he won lots of trophies but he is often remembered for his goal against Arsenal.

David May won 7 trophies.
Darren Fletcher (who I do rate) won 13 trophies.
John O'Shea won 14 trophies
Owen Hargreaves won 12 trophies in his career.
Wes Brown won 13 trophies

Giggs was a very good footballer but can see Curtis' point about stats etc. From this perspective, Giggs does not look special. But he did redefine his playing style and position later in his career.

However he has, what, 13 league medals? And 2 European Cups. Not too shabby.
I don't see how the fact he changed position later in his career has got anything to do with it unless he was world class in his new position. John Barnes did the same, but i know who was the better player in both his original (goalscoring winger, but not in Giggs case) and midfielder.

Back