Curtis Woodhouse on Ryan Giggs

I think it’s pretty well recognised that Giggs was not the POTY that year. Didn’t he only make something like 12 league appearances including sub appearances.
It was a ludicrous award.
If he was ever going to win the award it should have been in one of his earlier years.
I’m firmly in the very good but not great camp. And never at any time did I think he was world class.
Bale on the other hand has been or at least been very close to world class.

I’m utterly stunned to be reading a thread questioning whether Giggs, Scholes and Beckham were world class. I can’t believe what I’m reading!

Fair to say Giggs is world class imo.

Had he come up for sale or ran his contract down, virtually every club in the world that could afford him would have been in for him.

its all about trophy's:

13 times English Champions
2 Champions League Winners
4 FA Cup
4 League Cup
1 FIFA World Club Champion
1 Intercontinental Winner
1 UEFA Super Cup

Nonsense, Wes Brown and Phil Jones have medals too and they were gash.

You’re not seriously questioning Paul Scholes credentials as a World Class player here too are you? For information, he was suspended for the first Champions League final. He’s also regarded by Zidane as one of the best players he ever faced, but what does Zizou know about football.

Again, this is the line that gets rolled out when people mention Scholes nowadays. I'm not saying Scholes wasn't a top player. But there was a thread comparing Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes on Twitter which was broken down and analysed and Scholes is miles behind the pair of them. It's since retiring that he's all of a sudden became the best midfielder the Premier League ever saw.

I don't know why anyone can say that about Giggs when David Beckham was in the same team.

Beckham was a genuinely top class, close to world class player. Every stat would back up that he was better than Giggs, including individual accolades.

Ballon d'Or runner up in (1999),
UEFA Club Player of the Year (1999),
FIFA World Player of the Year runner up (1999, 2001),
UEFA Team of the Year (2001, 2003)

Again, this is the line that gets rolled out when people mention Scholes nowadays. I'm not saying Scholes wasn't a top player. But there was a thread comparing Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes on Twitter which was broken down and analysed and Scholes is miles behind the pair of them. It's since retiring that he's all of a sudden became the best midfielder the Premier League ever saw.

Beckham was a genuinely top class, close to world class player. Every stat would back up that he was better than Giggs, including individual accolades.

I never said Giggs was better than Beckham, just that he wasn't as overrated as Beckham and I'll stand by that.

All 3 were world class players. All 3 were regarded in the highest esteem by their fellow players, all 3 were regarded as being the best of players by arguably the greatest football manager of all time. Scholes was an unbelievable player who was revered throughout his career.

Giggs didn't start the game. He'd of been fresher than most on the pitch.

The defending is horrific. You can try paint it how you like, but it was.
Yet it was the defence that’s fabled as one of the best ever.

Giggs was world class on his game ,loved watching him in full flow ,always thought he’d end up in Italy or Spain .

fantastic player

Giggs was world class but to put him up against Messi and Ronaldo is just stupid. We he was playing he would be a pick the world's best 11 at the time no question

David Beckham not world class?

He only played for united real Madrid ac Milan PSG hardly shitty clubs plus over 100 international caps. His crossing was outstanding. Yes he was well marketed but he was a class player.

As for giggs you dont play 22 seasons at the very top without having something about you.

I’m utterly stunned to be reading a thread questioning whether Giggs, Scholes and Beckham were world class. I can’t believe what I’m reading!
All about opinions mate.
Personally, of the 3, I rate Beckham the highest.
Giggs would probably be second.
I’d really need to think about it, but for a couple of years they were all good together, and there was probably a period of 4-5 years that the Man U midfield picked itself.
Thing for me though is that I thought Giggs peaked early and was truly at his best before the others really established themselves.
I think Beckham probably performed the most consistently out of all of them for the longest period, and I think Scholes was at his best when he was scoring regularly from midfield in the late 90’s early 2000’s, but despite being a very good player, he never maintained the consistency with the goals.
All very good players at the highest level, probably great players at the highest level, but the only one who I think was genuine world class was Keane. Again, late 90’s early 2000’s, you could have put up a good argument for him being the best defensive midfielder in the world.
I wouldn’t have had any of the other 3 as the best in the world in their positions.
They were very good players, just not the best IMO.

All 3 were world class players. All 3 were regarded in the highest esteem by their fellow players, all 3 were regarded as being the best of players by arguably the greatest football manager of all time. Scholes was an unbelievable player who was revered throughout his career.

Well not at the time they never in the case of Scholes.

Good read there which backs it up.

Giggs was world class but to put him up against Messi and Ronaldo is just stupid. We he was playing he would be a pick the world's best 11 at the time no question

Not a chance would he get ahead of Nedved, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Robben (IMO).

David Beckham not world class?

He only played for united real Madrid ac Milan PSG hardly shitty clubs plus over 100 international caps. His crossing was outstanding. Yes he was well marketed but he was a class player.

As for giggs you dont play 22 seasons at the very top without having something about you.
Agreed, reading done of the replies on here really does make me think what sport people are watching.
We all have our opinions of course but the majority of the thread is discussing if Giggs, Scholes and Beckham are overrated.......3 of the 4 midfielders from the greatest team in EPL history.

BTW nobody is saying Giggs is shite.

It's possible to be a top player but still be overrated. Ribery is a another prime example.

George Best on David Beckham.

"He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right."

No more laughable than saying it about Giggs.That's my opinion for the level of fame and hype the guy got you would have thought he was the best player in the World when in fact he was nowhere near it.

If you separate David Beckham the footballer from David Beckham the brand there is absolutely no doubt he was world class. People get caught up in all the off the field stuff rather than what he did on the pitch.

Overrated? Not a chance.

Yes, just like Wayne Rooney.
Not as good as they’re made out to be.
That’s not saying they were poor.

Rooney I would be a wee bit 50/50 but Beckham was every bit as good as he was made out to be IMHO.

Genuinely world class who at his peak would've got into any team in the world.

It’s all about opinions of course but I’m not entirely sure how Man Utd and England’s record goalscorer who also has a chest full of winners medals can possibly be overrated.

Look at the hype Rooney got when he burst onto the scene. He was going to be the best player in the world according to the media, "England's Pele" was how one halfwit presenter on Talksport described him.

Again, Rooney had a wonderful career but did he hit the heights we were told he would ? Was he ever in the elite top tier bracket of strikers in the world ? Don't forget Euro 2004 apart, he was bloody awful at major international tournaments.

Him and Ronaldo were on the same level supposedly between 2003 - 2006. Ronaldo left him for dead in terms of his consistency and fitness.

It’s all about opinions of course but I’m not entirely sure how Man Utd and England’s record goalscorer who also has a chest full of winners medals can possibly be overrated.
He isn't anywhere near Man Utd or England's record goalscorer.
Incidentally my original post was about the strange branding of Giggs as being overrated when Beckham was in the same team.
I stand by that.
Obviously Woodhouse has a bee in his bunnet about Giggs.

Last edited:
Daily Record Exclusive: Anton Rogan says Juventus star Ronaldo is 'pish'

Giggs was clearly a c**t in real life but nobody with a brain would claim he was overrated.

If you separate David Beckham the footballer from David Beckham the brand there is absolutely no doubt he was world class. People get caught up in all the off the field stuff rather than what he did on the pitch.

Overrated? Not a chance.
Beckham was a great player but his game had too many flaws to be truly world class, he didn’t have the pace he needed to be up there with Zidane, Ronaldinho etc,

Incidentally my original post was about Giggs being overrated when Beckham was in the same team.
I stand by that.
The guy was talking about Rooney.

Beckham was a great player but his game had too many flaws to be truly world class, he didn’t have the pace he needed to be up there with Zidane, Ronaldinho etc,

Zidane didn't have pace either although he was a better player technically than DB.

Having said that Beckham was world class IMHO.

All a bit random.

He was no Messi.

He scored one or two wonder goals and one stands out.

A very good player but no one really called him the greatest as he clearly wasnt better than many.

Achieved much though I was never a huge fan of his.

Incidentally my original post was about the strange branding of Giggs as being overrated when Beckham was in the same team.
I stand by that.
I was replying to your comment on Rooney being overrated, he is Man Utd and England’s record goalscorer.

Back