Cycling to Ibrox

Struths Canary

I doubt many would do it now as there is no real security....but the trend is going that way. At the moment it is so rare to see anyone cycle as the area is not really Holland Park is it?

The Holyrood regional administration are already openly stating they want less car journeys, and more 'green solutions'. So how do we square the circle? I was on RFC website and there is nothing about this being planned - I thought they'd at least have a planning group up and running.

Would it be simple to add the new storage bays? The lock up ones? You charge people and over one season they pay for themselves. St Enoch Square is getting one and a few are already up. Might this be a simple win/win in terms of cost and being ahead of the curve? Thoughts?

This kind of thing:

Container_Cycle_Hub_Slider.jpg

I doubt many would do it now as there is no real security....but the trend is going that way. At the moment it is so rare to see anyone cycle as the area is not really Holland Park is it?

The Holyrood regional administration are already openly stating they want less car journeys, and more 'green solutions'. So how do we square the circle? I was on RFC website and there is nothing about this being planned - I thought they'd at least have a planning group up and running.

Would it be simple to add the new storage bays? The lock up ones? You charge people and over one season they pay for themselves. St Enoch Square is getting one and a few are already up. Might this be a simple win/win in terms of cost and being ahead of the curve? Thoughts?

This kind of thing:

Container_Cycle_Hub_Slider.jpg
Is that you Patrick?

I've been to a few Feyenoord games where at a guess, 10,000+ people cycle to and from the game. It can be done, but we have a very different mentality in this country.

So did Copenhagen before the mayor decided to ignore the wishes of motorists and implement a cycling focused city centre, much to the approval of the residents who were previously against it.

Ok but can’t be arsed with snp/green guff on this site.

FFS, that's some leap you've made there.

Good idea, parking around Ibrox is a fuking nightmare. You could cycle up, get a couple of beers in pre game, stay for 90 mins, avoid the subway shambles, and do a bit for the environment and your own personal fitness. No one cares if you cannot be arsed.

Good idea, parking around Ibrox is a fuking nightmare. You could cycle up, get a couple of beers in pre game, stay for 90 mins, avoid the subway shambles, and do a bit for the environment and your own personal fitness. No one cares if you cannot be arsed.

Exactly. And knowing bike was safe would be excellent bonus....and folk WOULD pay.

Ok but can’t be arsed with snp/green guff on this site.
Just might be nice and would effect only a few hundred from 51,000

It is sometimes better to not drive and there's no option. If it helps I hate Greens, eat steak, and urinate on grass to kill it and the wildlife it nurtures
I cycle and really don’t fancy the state of broomloan rd up to PRW in the dark given the state of the road surface, the failing street lights and not least the bams gunning out of the car park.
If only we lived in a cycling utopia?

See my post above. It references the real world.

See my post above. It references the real world.

No worries :)
Your original post came across as somewhat negative, and not from a cyclist.
I do agree that cycling around the Ibrox streets in the dark, and pissing rain, is not massively appealing, but we need to improve the transport infrastructure somehow. We're miles behind other developed countries.

I've been to a few Feyenoord games where at a guess, 10,000+ people cycle to and from the game. It can be done, but we have a very different mentality in this country.

So did Copenhagen before the mayor decided to ignore the wishes of motorists and implement a cycling focused city centre, much to the approval of the residents who were previously against it.
To be fair, The Netherlands and Denmark are countries with world class cycling infrastructure. I cycled to a game in Copenhagen and just left my bike in a park with about 10,000 other bikes, but like you say the mentality is completely different there. Small steps and all that.

No worries :)
Your original post came across as somewhat negative, and not from a cyclist.
I do agree that cycling around the Ibrox streets in the dark, and pissing rain, is not massively appealing, but we need to improve the transport infrastructure somehow. We're miles behind other developed countries.
I get where you coming from but I struggle to see the ‘push’ towards cycling as being the answer to ‘everything’ as other than tokenism.
I’ve cycled all my life and selected my retirement place to live accordingly.
I drive to Ibrox. That will never change.
Folk walk, folk drive, folk use trains, folk use buses.
We are all equally correct

Just need the watch yer motor Mister team to set up a bike division.

Seriously though the OP is correct in that most venues need to start considering ways in which to cater for fans / customers who wish to cycle to them.

We should be going for this there is plenty of space to accommodate this and will be groundbreaking for football clubs in the UK. I would do this catch train in Ayrshire and cycle to Ibrox from Central train station. Win win less congestion on the subway less congestion on the pavements and less congestion on the roads what's not to like about it.

We should be going for this there is plenty of space to accommodate this and will be groundbreaking for football clubs in the UK. I would do this catch train in Ayrshire and cycle to Ibrox from Central train station. Win win less congestion on the subway less congestion on the pavements and less congestion on the roads what's not to like about it.

Could you not just cycle from Ayrshire? :)

Most of our streets aren't designed for cars, never mind bikes. Erratic physical opportunity for cycle lanes meaning those who do pedal to work/leisure take their life in their hands. Potential theft is another issue. A decent wire cutters makes short work of many locking chains.

Cycling drunk to the football might be a problem for too many :eek:

Most of our streets aren't designed for cars, never mind bikes. Erratic physical opportunity for cycle lanes meaning those who do pedal to work/leisure take their life in their hands. Potential theft is another issue. A decent wire cutters makes short work of many locking chains.

Cycling drunk to the football might be a problem for too many :eek:
No more than drunk driving is currently

Back