Daft hypothetical scenarios in football - what would happen?

gers1978

For example a players rounds the keeper, rolls the ball towards the empty net and a fan/dog/ball boy runs on and clears it off the line?

What if a player flicks the ball up, catches it in his outstretched shirt and runs up and drops it in the goal?

What about a team forming a circle round their teammate who has the ball, thereby stopping anyone tackling him?

Any refs on? Are you taught these type of daft-yet-possible scenarios?

For example a players rounds the keeper, rolls the ball towards the empty net and a fan/dog/ball boy runs on and clears it off the line?

What if a player flicks the ball up, catches it in his outstretched shirt and runs up and drops it in the goal?

What about a team forming a circle round their teammate who has the ball, thereby stopping anyone tackling him?

1 - No goal - Drop ball

2 -Free Kick and booked.

3 - Free Kick - obstruction.

During my FA badge I had to do a season as a grade 3 Ref, during a game in Lincolnshire a speedy forward got round the keeper only for a sub to boot the ball away. Decision was booking for the sub, entering the field of play without permission, an indirect free kick to the attacking team. All hell broke loose ,they wanted a goal, one asked for a penalty, was glad to get home alive.

1 - No goal - Drop ball

2 -Free Kick and booked.

3 - Free Kick - obstruction.

I was actually thinking about the first question the other day.

So team are getting beat 1-0 in a final, it's the final seconds of the 93rd min and a a player rounds the keeper and is about to roll the ball into an empty net to equalise. A fan runs on and boots it away then nothing comes of the drop ball. Would there be any retrospective action by The FA, replay match etc?

Did anybody else get the magazine "SoccerStars" back in the day?

I'm sure there was an "Ask the ref" bit and one of the questions was what would happen if a bird constructed its nest in the goal.

I can't recall the answer though.

First one is a drop ball I think. It happened fairly recently. Would be incredibly irritating but i’m pretty sure that’s the rule.

Second 2 would be obstruction surely?

So team are getting beat 1-0 in a final, it's the final seconds of the 93rd min and a a player rounds the keeper and is about to roll the ball into an empty net to equalise. A fan runs on and boots it away then nothing comes of the drop ball. Would there be any retrospective action by The FA, replay match etc?

I don’t think the FA would be obliged to do anything. The situation would have been dealt by the with according to the rules of the game.

You would expect the offending club to offer a re-match as good sportsmanship.

In a game away at Kilmarnock in Walter’s second time in charge the ball got cleared and it hit the linesman and come back in. Kenny Miller picked it up to take the throw but the ref gave a free kick for handball as the ball hadn’t gone fully out.

Sign that ball boy up as a centre half! That’d be some speed he’d need!!!! Balon D’or right there

During my FA badge I had to do a season as a grade 3 Ref, during a game in Lincolnshire a speedy forward got round the keeper only for a sub to boot the ball away. Decision was booking for the sub, entering the field of play without permission, an indirect free kick to the attacking team. All hell broke loose ,they wanted a goal, one asked for a penalty, was glad to get home alive.
That’s why our fast tracked Refs are shite as they don’t get the experience of mental leagues for any length of time to learn their trade and find out any weaknesses in themselves.

Unusual scenario in the professional game, but seen it happen years ago in an amateur game, where a sub standing at the post talking to the keeper stuck his foot out and diverted away a goal bound shot. Almost caused a riot, as the ref claimed the ball had hit the post.

Genuine question, out of curiosity, in relation to your own incident. Under modern rules, would it be:

A. A Yellow Card for entering the field of play,
B. A Red Card for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity,
C. Both of the above.

Questions like this are all something covered in the classes to become a ref. Some on here should def g8ve it a go given some of the stuff on match threads

Unusual scenario in the professional game, but seen it happen years ago in an amateur game, where a sub standing at the post talking to the keeper stuck his foot out and diverted away a goal bound shot. Almost caused a riot, as the ref claimed the ball had hit the post.

Genuine question, out of curiosity, in relation to your own incident. Under modern rules, would it be:

C. Both of

C. Both of the above.
ffs don’t tell mutton I made a lady's front bottom of it

In 1962 the filth goal keeper Frank Haffey miskicked a goal kick to his full back Dunky McKay and the ball went into his own net.

The ref ruled that it wasn't a goal as the ball hadn't moved forward.

Always wondered about these weird situations, the rule about a drop ball if something blocks the goal seems ridiculous though

I remember a few years back in the womens UEFA cup the Norwegian team who seem to all be over 6foot used to stand in a group of about 7 of them when a corner was about to be taken. When the ball was crossed they stood where they were and someone in the middle would literally have a free header as the kicker would aim for the middle of the crowd. I am honestly not sure how successful it was as I didn't watch too many games.

I remember a few years back in the womens UEFA cup the Norwegian team who seem to all be over 6foot used to stand in a group of about 7 of them when a corner was about to be taken. When the ball was crossed they stood where they were and someone in the middle would literally have a free header as the kicker would aim for the middle of the crowd. I am honestly not sure how successful it was as I didn't watch too many games.

Was that not just them all ball watching and all crowding in the same area rather than making tactical runs?

Seems to happen a lot in women’s football.

In 1962 the filth goal keeper Frank Haffey miskicked a goal kick to his full back Dunky McKay and the ball went into his own net.

It would have been because the ball hadn't entered the field of play. The ball must leave the penalty area and enter the pitch before it becomes classed as active. Behind the goal line is not active

Playing for the school many many years ago and our striker was clean through on goal in acres of space.
Got the ball to the goal line and went down on his knees and headed the ball over the line.
Goal was disallowed for dangerous play and he was booked for unsporting behaviour.
Our manager went loopy but apparently it was against the rules.

A goal kick must clear the 18 yard box before it is in play, so must ge retaken.

If you take a penalty can you pass it forward say a yard got your team mate to run on and take a dig? Don’t know why you would but just continuing this theme of daft scenarios .

(Yes I am missing Rangers)

If you take a penalty can you pass it forward say a yard got your team mate to run on and take a dig? Don’t know why you would but just continuing this theme of daft scenarios .

(Yes I am missing Rangers)

Yes, Messi and Suarez did it successfully a couple of seasons ago.

Pires and Henry tried it, somewhat less successfully, for Arsenal

Rangers vs the scum title decider. It's the 95th minute and its 0-0, Defoe races through and takes a shot from 25 yards out but it's going wide. However, the ball strikes the sprinting referees foot which dramatically changes it's trajectory and it rockets past the useless keeper.

1. Will it be a valid goal in such an important game?

2. If yes, will the mentally challengeds have an epic meltdown to end all meltdowns?

Thanks.

Rangers vs the scum title decider. It's the 95th minute and its 0-0, Defoe races through and takes a shot from 25 yards out but it's going wide. However, the ball strikes the sprinting referees foot which dramatically changes it's trajectory and it rockets past the useless keeper.

2. If yes, will the mentally challengeds have an epic meltdown to end all meltdowns?

Thanks.

The goal would stand in that situation. Just to add insult to injury the camera would catch the referee laughing as he shook the Rangers players hands at FT.

Thanks.
This would result so many simultaneous cases of spontaneous human combustion that it would probably measure on the Richter scale.
It would also be funny as f@ck.

One rule I don't get is that if you take a goal kick and a player touches it inside the box, they just retake the goal kick? Surely, hypothetically of course, a team closing out a lead could just use this to their advantage?

One rule I don't get is that if you take a goal kick and a player touches it inside the box, they just retake the goal kick? Surely, hypothetically of course, a team closing out a lead could just use this to their advantage?
Yes, but the international board are looking to change this rule at the end of the season. It will become an indirect free kick against the man who plays the ball.

On the subject of the dog / fan / substitute booting the ball away from the goal this happened in an FA cup final at Wembley.

Roy Race was playing for Melchester Rovers....

Just to get in the spirit of it.... A defender stops a mis-hit pass from a fellow defender with their hand. If he hadn't handled it, it would have gone into the net. Correct call is a red card and a penalty. Yet if a keeper handles a back pass from a defender which, if he hadn't handled it would have gone into the net, it's an indirect free kick under the pass-back rule. I can't remember any keeper ever being carded for picking up a back pass. Why the difference? (By the way, for older bears, the pass-back rule is over 25 years old now!!!)

heres one
a team scores a goal, their captain is standing in the middle of the park and raises his arm with a clenched fist. what action should the referee take.
i know this is daft because a scenario like this would never demand the attention of a referee, would it?
What am I missing here? Has this happened to Rangers? Did Tav get booked for celebrating like this?

Say you needed to defend a lead...just got your whole team standing on the goal line, some balanced on the shoulders of their team mates...what would the ref do?

Looks like our Steve - just award the goal!

2qj8tjt.png

There might be action against the club and the fan would be prosecuted but the clearance would stand.

Looks like our Steve - just award the goal!

2qj8tjt.png

1 - no goal as play has been disrupted with the smoke

2 - ref only calls the game as he sees it and acts on it accordingly. Physio is ordered off for encroaching the field of play without permission and causing interference.

3 - no goal as there is doubt.

1 - no goal as play has been disrupted with the smoke

2 - ref only calls the game as he sees it and acts on it accordingly. Physio is ordered off for encroaching the field of play without permission and causing interference.

3 - no goal as there is doubt.

Are you sure you're not a referee? Didn't see any printed answers so I'll take your word for it! :p

The fairest way to deal with 1 is for all players to be in the same position they where in when play was interrupted, ref drops the ball where it was and the player kicks it in. Only way i see fair

Some good responses on here.

Now, what would be the outcome in the same scenarios against septic?

Back