Daft sketch with Rikki Fulton

I would take repeats of Scotch and Wry on Hogmanay instead of the 'new' yearly, 'Only An Excuse' everytime. Just how tired, trite, crass and cringeworthy does a so called comedy/football impersonation programme need to be before it's finally put out of its misery. And while their at it, same goes for BBC Radio Scotland's 'Off The Ball'.

There was an IM Jolly special that came out around the time of clamshell phones (90s). He’s in the church and it rings. He then opens it up and says “Kirk here...”.
I keep trying to find it online...

A man who had the ability to make you laugh without even speaking, a slight adjustment to his facial expression or body posture was all it took.

I have amazing memories of our whole family in histerics at S&W, good clean family fun. Rarely found today.
I remember being in a cinema watching Gorky Park and Rikki played a KGB boss. As soon as his face appeared on screen the whole place erupted in laughter even though he was at a murder scene!

Big Nirvana, lived up a close in partick. Near the manse, that was up a close an aw.
Sheer brilliance, no matter how many times you watch it.

Glorious comedy in the golden era of British/Scottish comedy.

There is very little on TV that is funny any more. Chewing the Fat with Kiernan and Hemphill was the last truly funny Scottish comedy that will still be funny 30 years from now.

Husband and wife in the living room. Husband has got the gardening gear on and a couple of unmarked bottles. Pours from one of them into a glass;

"Here drink this darling"

Wife drinks it. "Mmm, that's a lovely cola"

Husband looks to the other bottle "This'll be the weed killer then"

I remember being in a cinema watching Gorky Park and Rikki played a KGB boss. As soon as his face appeared on screen the whole place erupted in laughter even though he was at a murder scene!
I remember that. He played a Russian baddie called Pribluda and got shot by Lee Marvin at the end.

He was on the same flight back from spain As us About 23 years ago with his wife.
when the plane landed and we went to get the cases, Rikki and his wife stood back from the carousel.
there where 2 we guys hanging about them like they where trying to get his attention.
you could tell rikki wasn't interested and just kept talking to his wife.
The cases started to come through And Rikki turned to his wife and pointed at a case.
one of the wee guys ran over and grabbed the case, brought it over to rikki.
Rikki shook his head and says “thats no ma case son” The wee guy put the case back then skulked off.
I have the feeling he knew exactly what he was doing.

There was a sketch when he goes into the polis station absolutely distraught to report his wee dug missing. He goes into great detail describing the dug and as he walks away he turns back and says to the desk sergeant "oh one more thing, while you are looking for the dug, keep your eye open for the wife as she was walking him at the time..."

Rikki Fulton and Scotch & Wry were always hilarious. The characters, mannerism, timing etc were spot on.

The staff currently at the BBC "Comedy" Unit need to watch stuff like this and see what is actually funny and how to produce it. Humour changes over the years, professionalism shouldn't.

Glorious comedy in the golden era of British/Scottish comedy.

There is very little on TV that is funny any more. Chewing the Fat with Kiernan and Hemphill was the last truly funny Scottish comedy that will still be funny 30 years from now.
Agreed mate. When I've had a few beers I always stick on the football scene from the film Kes.
A glorious 5 mins that reminds me of the bad old days of school and the inhumane PE teachers

One of the super cop sketches he comes across the pope mobile and he’s telling the driver and the pope they will have to shift it as there is an event on and he can’t remember what event and next thing you hear a flute band playing in the background and it’s the day of the orange walk

There was a sketch when he goes into the polis station absolutely distraught to report his wee dug missing. He goes into great detail describing the dug and as he walks away he turns back and says to the desk sergeant "oh one more thing, while you are looking for the dug, keep your eye open for the wife as she was walking him at the time..."

Lex McLean and Chic Murray 2 comedy legends, especially Lex a great Rangers man.
My big brother took me to see lex at the pavilion, we where in the balcony and all i remember was the smoke rising up from downstairs With people smoking.
i could listen to chick Murray all day, the comedians comedian. I read his biography years ago and had a tear in the eye at the end of it.

A superb comedian summed up the Glaswegian psyche .

Of all the Last Calls I've watched the one with the planted booze is an outstanding piece of comedy.

as Rangers manger, Gregor Fisher as a scout and Gerrard Kelly a tim about to sign.

Cringe, laugh or do as you please

I seem to remember bits of it.

That is funny! Read his autobiography years ago- son of a Dennistoun shopkeeper. He served on a warship in WW2 which was sunk by the Italian Air Force in the Med. He survived by being a strong swimmer for hours before being picked up- loads of his comrades perished.

Loved his Rev Jolly sketches as well. Scottish comedy legend

Used to get taken up the town at Christmas to see Francie & Josie when I was younger. Fulton obviously hit the big time but whatever happened to Jack Milroy?

as Rangers manger, Gregor Fisher as a scout and Gerrard Kelly a tim about to sign.

Cringe, laugh or do as you please

I seem to remember bits of it.

Brendan O'Malley. Fulton's face. :))

Anyone that gets worked up about this needs to lighten up. Classic sketch, from days where (for the most part) division/partisanship was something that could still evoke some humour from either side. Like everything else in life these days, it all has to be black/white, right/wrong, insensitive, appropriating and whatever other BS.

I'm only 47 but I remember when people had differences and could still get on and laugh at each other.

Love the sketch and love the strip, even more. Even though Gregor Fisher carries it off even worse than DJ in those days.

Thanks for the post, OP.

Being allowed to stay up to watch Scotch and Wry was the highlight of Hogmanay. Looking back in the clips posted on this thread......didn't appreciate just how good it was! Still fucking hilarious. Genius

My favourite ever sketch is when his wife is reading a letter and points to it and says "is that an I or an O"

He says it's an "O"

She says "well your brothers shot himself"

Genius

I watched this about 40 times in a row in Portugal when I was starting to crash and burn, I feel so similar the now so going to fire it on. Cheers to the OP for reminding me.

Back