Daily Express - Why was the Scottish Premiership called so early when so many questions still remain?

defender

For the clarification of those who are confused.

We prefer that the source is given and if the poster can't cut and paste a wee synopsis is given.

If it is cut and pasted that's up to the user - if the article is on a source of by a journalist you think is worth supporting you give them the hits - on a personal basis for the writer.

Users who lose their shit making up rules and cajoling other users find themselves sinbinned or banned.
Could you not have them tied to posts and executed with North Korean artillery field guns ?

Valley Bluenose

As I understand it, the unanimous vote was for the season not being able to be completed. Rangers agreed to this....a 12-0 vote. Rangers did not agree to them being handed the title...an 11-1 vote. SPFL are playing word games here and trying to obfuscate the facts to suit their own agenda. Rest assured we did not vote to hand them the title.

Of course I could be wrong...feel free to correct if necessary.
You are, a little, wrong. The unanimous vote they refer to was the FRIDAY vote by top flight clubs to recognise that the season could not be played out by that stage. Nothing more. Obviously in that vote Hearts were not voting to relegate themselves! The vote was meaningless in reality anyway. The Good Friday vote had already given the SPFL Board the authority to call the top flight any old time they liked. They didn't need to refer to, nor take any heed of, the vote by the top flight clubs.

It was the SPFL Board meeting the following MONDAY that gifted the title to the Dhims. We don't know how the vote in that meeting went. If I was guessing, I'd say it went 8-1 in line with most other SPFL Board votes in recent months.

sg9375

Cheers. Enjoyed reading that! Refused to read anything this week in the frenzied how great the filth are.

warfieldranger

"The SPFL ended the season on Monday with a statement claiming that Premiership clubs had reached a ‘unanimous agreement that the top flight cannot be finished’.

However the unanimous part of that statement is understood to be factually incorrect. At least two clubs were against curtailing the season and saw no reason why a decision needed to be rushed through so soon."

Another lie from the SPFL then.

MK Bluenose

You are, a little, wrong. The unanimous vote they refer to was the FRIDAY vote by top flight clubs to recognise that the season could not be played out by that stage. Nothing more. Obviously in that vote Hearts were not voting to relegate themselves! The vote was meaningless in reality anyway. The Good Friday vote had already given the SPFL Board the authority to call the top flight any old time they liked. They didn't need to refer to, nor take any heed of, the vote by the top flight clubs.

It was the SPFL Board meeting the following MONDAY that gifted the title to the Dhims. We don't know how the vote in that meeting went. If I was guessing, I'd say it went 8-1 in line with most other SPFL Board votes in recent months.
Spot on, though doubt bookies would have given you odds on it.

silverbear

At last a decent article representative of true journalism. Sadly, it's the only one and sadly it's probably come too late. This is the type of article we should've been seeing in many different media outlets over that last 4 or more weeks. Probably more when you consider that within days of the football being stopped the campaign to give them the title had already started.

CapitalBear1973

Sorry if this has been answered before (as I'm sure it must've been) - but I've never understood this. What was the reason given for having to declare champions and relegation instead of null and void ? Was it something to do with the TV deal ? If so, what (is it some confidential clause that we're not allowed to know) ?

jaws73

Official Ticketer
Good article that asks pertinent questions.

More of those were required weeks ago but anything that shines a light on the corrupt cabal is welcome.

I reckon Doncaster & Co. will have more missteps in the next few weeks. There is certainly plenty of scope for it and I don't think they will be as sure footed as they'll need to be navigating the quagmire they have created for themselves. Douglas Park will be keeping a very close eye on what unfolds, no doubt.

andrew anderson

Still can't get my head around this. And the silence from Rangers isn't helping
it says in the report that two teams didnt vote for this but it doesnt suit the spfl agenda
The SPFL ended the season on Monday with a statement claiming that Premiership clubs had reached a ‘unanimous agreement that the top flight cannot be finished’.

However the unanimous part of that statement is understood to be factually incorrect. At least two clubs were against curtailing the season and saw no reason why a decision needed to be rushed through so soon.

Carlton The Bear

At last a decent article representative of true journalism. Sadly, it's the only one and sadly it's probably come too late. This is the type of article we should've been seeing in many different media outlets over that last 4 or more weeks. Probably more when you consider that within days of the football being stopped the campaign to give them the title had already started.
That’s my initial thought. There’s not a whole lot in that article which couldn’t have been written a fortnight, even a month ago - with a future rather than past tense slant. Saying that, everything in the public domain which questions the SPFL “Operation Boardroom Sweep” and puts a public asterisk on their most tainted title is welcome.

supersonic

Official Ticketer
For the clarification of those who are confused.

We prefer that the source is given and if the poster can't cut and paste a wee synopsis is given.

If it is cut and pasted that's up to the user - if the article is on a source of by a journalist you think is worth supporting you give them the hits - on a personal basis for the writer.

Users who lose their shit making up rules and cajoling other users find themselves sinbinned or banned.
that's fine but don't you regularly post the circulation stats of newspapers and comment on them? i agree, lets give good journalists the credit however given that the Daily Record has possibly 1 journalist (scott mcdermott) who isn't a total wank, can we not please have some blanket rule in place for them?

roadster198

The “finish the Scottish cup at all costs” attitude whilst so hastily ending the country's main tournament pretty much sums up Scottish football and who it is run for.

It absolutely beggars belief that certain idiots at other clubs and within the media still can’t see it for what it is.
Or clubs can see it for what it is but don't want to put their head above the parapet

TynesideTrueBlue

Within 3 weeks the league season could have been concluded behind closed doors.
You have to ask why the tarriers voted Yes to finish the season surly they would have wanted to win it on merit being 13 points clear?
The whole thing stinks and the tarriers wanted this tainted title as soon as Covid-19 arrived so they were guaranteed it.
Corrupt to the Core.

Carlton The Bear

Within 3 weeks the league season could have been concluded behind closed doors.
You have to ask why the tarriers voted Yes to finish the season surly they would have wanted to win it on merit being 13 points clear?
The whole thing stinks and the tarriers wanted this tainted title as soon as Covid-19 arrived so they were guaranteed it.
Corrupt to the Core.
As I said, the SPFL could even have gone for an agreement from clubs to play only until all promotion/relegation/champion issues were mathematically settled and then stop. But no.

Hazylight1989

From understanding the daily express are an English based paper - I maybe wrong but I don't recall us as fans having any serious axe to grind with them ?

Snakehips

That was a very good article. Pretty much summed up what we have all been saying, as well as a few other journos willing to put bias and agenda to the side. Essentially asking why the SPFL have acted the way they did throughout the entire process, as it is clear to many that some of their decisions defy any logic, fairness, and reason.

Mancbear

it says in the report that two teams didnt vote for this but it doesnt suit the spfl agenda
The SPFL ended the season on Monday with a statement claiming that Premiership clubs had reached a ‘unanimous agreement that the top flight cannot be finished’.

However the unanimous part of that statement is understood to be factually incorrect. At least two clubs were against curtailing the season and saw no reason why a decision needed to be rushed through so soon.
Fair enough. I would have expected Rangers to confirm this though and far more discussion regarding playing games behind closed doors

MurciaBear

Always liked that paper

I thought that was what I surmised in about a quarter the words to the post I was responding to. Where did hearts come into it...the poster asked about Rangers supporting the tims being handed the title...which we patently didn't.
Thanks for the full blown explanation tho.

Everywhere anywhere

There were understandable fears over clubs surviving without the prize money they were due from finishing the season if it needed to be extended into the summer and beyond, and the call to end the season was, at least publicly, aimed at sending out money to those different clubs.

Insinuating that it was a sham.
Just a pity journalists feel unable to put the real reasons in print.

Valley Bluenose

Always liked that paper

I thought that was what I surmised in about a quarter the words to the post I was responding to. Where did hearts come into it...the poster asked about Rangers supporting the tims being handed the title...which we patently didn't.
Thanks for the full blown explanation tho.
You mentioned an 11-1 vote mate. There wasn't one as far as I can gather. Just the 12-0 and, probably, an 8-1.;):)

Vince

They got what they wanted and done it quickly before too many precedents were set in other places. However this league would have been declared null and void if it was us. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn’t been paying attention over the last decade.

You only need to look at the way they forced us into a farcical fixture list before a European final. They gleefully torpedoed our chances even in that.

Bear all

He left out Lawells comments on being awarded the Title on which he said he dedicates the title to ‘everyone who has cared for us’ during coronavirus crisis,also why did he get to close the meeting .

Bear all

That is the first time it has come to light, and is just one journalist. I'm just surprised its taken a week to come out and Rangers have said nothing
I'm firmly with you on this Rangers should have let it publicly known as soon as the vote was finished or before it like the SPFL conduct their business.

GazzaG

Official Ticketer
End the League season early to guarantee that mob the title and CL money, but continue with the Scottish Cup. Corrupt to the core.
And tell the like of Kelty, Falkirk snd Inverness that we can't have playoffs.

It couldn't be any more blatant.