Daily Record – Kent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just catching up on things, seeing 'loan with obligation to buy'. What's the benefits of loan with obligation? I don't see any for us apart from giving more time to get fee together (which is likely the key) but would it still leave Liverpool with option to recall after season i.e. we agree loan with an obligation to buy for say 7M, he tears up EL, wins us 55 and everyone is after him, can LFC recall and punt to English team for 14M+?

I don't see the difference, from buyers perpsective betweeen loan with obligation to buy and just buying with generous payment milestones? Can someone educate me?

Just catching up on things, seeing 'loan with obligation to buy'. What's the benefits of loan with obligation? I don't see any for us apart from giving more time to get fee together (which is likely the key) but would it still leave Liverpool with option to recall after season i.e. we agree loan with an obligation to buy for say 7M, he tears up EL, wins us 55 and everyone is after him, can LFC recall and punt to English team for 14M+?

I don't see the difference, from buyers perpsective betweeen loan with obligation to buy and just buying with generous payment milestones? Can someone educate me?
They won’t recall him. It gives is a year to get the money together. It is obligation to buy not options to buy i’m sure.

We don’t have 7m to spunk out right now, but we may after the 29th.

It’s a smart move.

It's the same situation we had with Murphy where we loaned him initially but the transfer is pretty much confirmed at the same time. It'll be a financial thing

Not getting much work done today :)
Please let this be true. A player that entertains and gets bums of seats. A joy to watch.

Arfield is one of my favourite players but the thought of Kent and Ojo linking up, swapping wings and all round torturing defences sure does make my plums tingle.
The reality is, even as things stand, the opposition are not going to be certain which line up they are going to face until the teams sheets are handed in an hour before kick off.

The addition of Kent will only increase our options and add to the uncertainty of others.

The reality is, even as things stand, the opposition are not going to be certain which line up they are going to face until the teams sheets are handed in an hour before kick off.

The addition of Kent will only increase our options and add to the uncertainty of others.
Absolutely. I posted these potential combinations earlier in the thread

Kent Ojo
Kent Arfield
Jones Kent
Arfield Ojo
Jones Arfield
Jones Ojo

Mouth watering.

Arfield is one of my favourite players but the thought of Kent and Ojo linking up, swapping wings and all round torturing defences sure does make my plums tingle.

Same. I'll be honest, I wasn't as big of an admirer of Kent as most but the thought of him providing natural width and trickery on one side and Ojo's powerful running and goal threat on the otherside is frightening!

My issue was that we weren't getting goals from wide areas when it was him and Candeias but Kent in the team we have now is a different prospect, his width will also create space inside for Aribo to run into.

Kent coming back would be amazing but we are overloaded with wide players,

Makes Barker a very strange signing.

Also the end of Murphy .
Wouldn't say we are overloaded at all.

Jones
Ojo
Barker
Kent

Even then I'd still class Ojo as more of an inside forward. Stewart, Arfield the same.

Doubt we'll see Murphy feature much tbh. Grezda is finished, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Hastie go on loan. So it looks like we'll have 2 players for each wing, much in line with the rest of the pitch.

I think the advantage to do the deal that way is to be able to complete the deal outside the window. Danny Ings was on loan at Southampton and the day before the transfer window opened, they announced he had completed the deal. Although it was only registered on the opening day, the clubs had already agreed the deal as per the loan, so no one could hijack it.

Let's say you are selling your house for 500K, I want the house but can only pay 250K. Your not going to give me it for that price just because you have more money than I do.

I'm afraid it doesn't work that way. Liverpool will, quite rightly, hold out for what they feel the player is worth. Only when/if no-one meets that valuation will they start negotiating the price, payment structure etc.

But no-one has met their valuation. An entire summer transfer window came and went with no one in England prepared to pay what Liverpool wanted.

And if they didn't get what they wanted off the back of him starring for Rangers, how are they going to get what they feel he is worth if he's left to rot in the reserves?

Not sure how ‘sided’ any of our wingers are. With the exception of Stewart (who is really not a winger) all the others have been played on both sides in different games.

I think the team role might be more significant. So we have:

“True” winger (fast, able to beat a man, focussed on delivering crosses): Jones, Hastie, Barker, Kent (if there is any chance of him coming)

Inside forward (tends to cut in more; focussed on scoring): Arfield, Stewart (even if it’s not his best role)

Mixture able to play both: Ojo, Murphy (albeit with fitness issues)

I keep thinking i’ve forgotten someone.

If we choose to play with one winger and one inside forward then I suspect Ojo and Arfield are competing for the inside forward role while Jones, Barker and Ojo compete to be the winger.

If Kent came in then we’d have 4 players competing for the one winger role plus Hastie further back. We do seem a bit overloaded in that department. Though Kent is good enough to be worth it

I agree. Hastie will be out on loan as well as Murphy so we can rule them out of the mix.

Wingers are notorious for losing form as well so the competition will be great. We are not quite there yet with the depth in squad. Fullbacks a major worry.

Wouldn't say we are overloaded at all.

Jones
Ojo
Barker
Kent

Even then I'd still class Ojo as more of an inside forward. Stewart, Arfield the same.

Doubt we'll see Murphy feature much tbh. Grezda is finished, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Hastie go on loan. So it looks like we'll have 2 players for each wing, much in line with the rest of the pitch.

We have Stevie G as manager.

He, like me, while know if we qualify for the EL we can easily get out of the group stages now given how competitive our squad is.

Last year we relied on at least 6 bodies playing 55/60 games.

This year we can change and not affect the quality of the starting 11.

Exciting times. Bring them on.

If he comes back it gives us the option of having him or Ojo as third choice striker if Morelos and Defoe are both out.

Can someone summarise the last 8 pages for me? Is there anything concrete to say he's signing or just the usual rumour and bluster?

I did say it was strange that none of the new signings took #14 and I was shot down in flames

I read your post and took that as yet more evidence for my belief from the outset by hook or by crook he would end up at Rangers at the end of the window.

All along there has been a glint in SG’s eyes when asked in interview about Kent. While not a certainty I’ve always felt it was very likely he would be here.

Let's say you are selling your house for 500K, I want the house but can only pay 250K. Your not going to give me it for that price just because you have more money than I do.

I'm afraid it doesn't work that way. Liverpool will, quite rightly, hold out for what they feel the player is worth. Only when/if no-one meets that valuation will they start negotiating the price, payment structure etc.
That valuation has dropped since their window closed though and the only chance of it increasing again is a move outwith the top two leagues in England.
I’d suggest coming back to Rangers is the best option for Rangers, Liverpool and Ryan Kent.

I must be one of the only people not overly excited with Kent. Hardly noticed him first half of last season.

Would much prefer another genuine striker.

Our left backs will be fine also.

My take is that if we get a favourable result tomorrow, we will be trying to broker a prospective deal on Friday on the proviso that it is taken up if we get through the Legia tie successfully. I think we will be saying without the group stages we can't afford it but if we make the group stages we might be able to afford at a reduced price.

Reactions: TQ3
I must be one of the only people not overly excited with Kent. Hardly noticed him first half of last season.

Would much prefer another genuine striker.

Our left backs will be fine also.

It took him a while to get going but when he settled he was unplayable at times. He will hit the ground running when he comes back and the scum are terrified of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back