Daily Record circulation down 14% in a year, Sunday Mail down 17%

At this point its surely just hairdressers, dentists and van drivers who have always just had a habit of picking one up at the garage in the morning that are still buying them. The sunday papers people probably just feel bad for the kid thats delivering them!

Correct. Only one balloon couldn’t manage to bring himself to trot out the standard “that’s not my current belief system now and I apologise unreservedly for my historical actions” line. Probably not even a direct employee so didn’t give a monkies chuff.

Anyways, print media is moving more online so stop clicking their links and don’t subscribe to their social media channels either. If there’s a story to be discussed here, put a link to keep us right but then extract the content to save multiple users clicking on it. Voila.
correct,the amount of posters on here that slate the media and the next thing you see is a link to their on line stories o_O WTF
Maybe not the same posters but you get the drift.
Board rules should outlaw links to our enemies sites .problem solved

Warms the heart.
Screenshot-20220125-125258-Edge.jpg
I'd love to see one of the papers go back to just reporting news, no agendas, no lies and bs, no appealing to the lowest common denominator and see how it impacted their sales

Where’s the Windsor Davies meme?
They'll probably still get a lot of online hits which is how they'll make their money these days all papers will be digital only fairly soon
Absolutely pennies in comparison to advertising rates generated from conventional print.
I was in the media game for nearly 3 decades.
They will all go under within five years but may continue an online presence with a very small staff.
However, I can only see one or two surviving long term as fan media will overtake them soon.
I would like to remind everybody that Newsquest, who owns the Glasgow times, the Herald and the national masquerade as fan media under the Rangers Review banner.
I was disappointed to see that somebody from that website was involved in Heart and Hand’s pre-match coverage from Ibrox the other night.
The only way that newspapers have of surviving is by dressing themselves up as something else to generate online audience and subscriptions.
This will have to be watched carefully going forward.

That's just one Rhecord a day for each Timmy in Scotland don't click and don't share their shit, kill it off bears.

Fewer people buy physical papers partly because many people get their news online. It's not really the death of media, more an evolution of sorts. The Daily Record will still exist online. You only need to head to the forum to see how many times people link MSM websites, or get news from them, over the course of a day. What we'll probably see in the next ten years are online-only newspapers similar to what the Independent did years and years ago.
The worry there is that they become even more desperate in their search for website views that they up the ante in terms of clickbait and shock stories. The best weapon in our arsenal is not giving them any hits at all but unfortunately we still see their stories shared on here with depressing frequency.

The worry there is that they become even more desperate in their search for website views that they up the ante in terms of clickbait and shock stories. The best weapon in our arsenal is not giving them any hits at all but unfortunately we still see their stories shared on here with depressing frequency.
You’re absolutely right and it does not take much to copy and paste the text rather than provide a link.
As long as you credit the newspaper as being the source of the story, then there is nothing to prevent it being reproduced online in a different format.

You’re absolutely right and it does not take much to copy and paste the text rather than provide a link.
As long as you credit the newspaper as being the source of the story, then there is nothing to prevent it being reproduced online in a different format.
Agreed but (at least in my opinion) the best approach is to just give them a swerve altogether. There's no information the Record is privy to that we can't get from better sources - we certainly never get "news" from them. All we're left with in that case is nonsense rumours and even worse opinion pieces from some of the worst hacks in the business.

Becoming a bit of a regular thing isn't it? I like seeing these posts each year.

I knew they were on the way out but the speed of it is quite astounding.

I'm not naive enough to think that the drop off is solely down to their anti-Rangers stance, but from my perspective, I haven't bought either of the papers for many years, and I don't miss them one bit.
Yet in Northern Ireland, the only papers available for Scottish football were the Record, the Mail and the Sunday Post. I think that is still the case.

Now I get most of my information from Follow Follow, and while it is not exactly even-handed, it is a terrible indictment of Scottish mainstream media that a partisan football fanzine is more informative, balanced and knowledgeable than they are. At least our nutcases don't try to pretend they don't have an agenda.

Worst newspapers in Scotland.

It’s only a matter of time before the doors are closed.

I don't doubt the digital age & the rise of online media outlets has had an enormous effect on newspapers decline
However they haven't exactly helped themselves with the putrid, infantile, dishonest & sub-standard $hite they dish up these days
They don't deserve the forever dwindling readership they've got -

Double digit decline every year for the last few years. The writing is on the wall. Surely the owners will put it out of its misery soon,

If my math is accurate, Daily Record was down around 3% in 2021 through August. Went after H&H at the beginning of September and down an additional 8% from September to December.

Might be coincidence, but I hope not. :cool:

At this point its surely just hairdressers, dentists and van drivers who have always just had a habit of picking one up at the garage in the morning that are still buying them. The sunday papers people probably just feel bad for the kid thats delivering them!
I was in the dentist the other day and they never had any papers or magazines out for reading.
Must be a covid thing.
Hairdresser was the same.

I used to deliver newspapers subbied(sic) to John Menzies. The Record sold just under a million copies. My van used to be heaving and illegally overweight at the start of my shift mainly due to the bales of records.

75,000? The job must be a fucking dawdle now.

Glorious. Get it right up them.
They need just the one van now, but it covers some miles:))

Latest posts

Back