Daily Record - Potential 60 million war chest for Sellick

That is an embarrassing level of clutching at straws. Letting your most valuable assets run down their contracts is terrible from a footballing and business sense. Don’t polish a turd and say it is good from an accountancy perspective.
Don’t you see, you actually get more profit this way. If you wait til they only have one year left, their book value is much lower and so your profit is actually much more. Get it? No, me neither. B-DB-DB-D

They're really desperate aren't they. Now trying to put a different spin on values and worths because they know they've f*cked it. Brilliant. Can't wait to read the article on profit for players like Alfredo, Kamara etc using the same maths. Oh wait...
“Well, yes, Rangers bought Alfie for £1mil and sold him for £25mil, but when you factor in his wages over his contract, all the disciplinary fines and the kit the club had to provide him for training and meals at the training ground, plus the cost of his flights for all those European games, Rangers will barely have broken even on Morelos”?

Ajer and edouard will get them around 25m between the two but Ryan Christie is awful and will get no where near to 8-10m they’re saying
£20mil would be exceptional business given the reality of their situation.

£20mil represents say 12 for Edouard and 8 for Ajer. For contracts with less than a year to run. As I say, be doing exceptionally well to even reach that.

I’ll eat my hat if they get 25. Not if Celtic and Timmy media report 25. If they actually get 25.

Not really that worried. if you can let a nailed on cert of signing McGinn slip through your hands then go on and sign Barkas and Duffy it will be £50M on dross and one decent midfielder :shh:

Love the values,
Nitcham 4.3 million ? more like 1-2 maybe
Ajer last year of contract, could get 8-10 on a good day (less 10%)
Eduard last year of contract - 15 would be my guess on a good day (less about 3 sell on)
Christie last year too, 2-3 million tops

So from 60 million to around 25 million being realistic and they need a GK 2 CB's, 2 FB's, 1? CM, 2 wide men and 2 strikers - 10 first team starter players - 2.5 million each on average

Also more unlikely than usual to be in the Champs league so won't be able to use that to attract anyone.

Worst of luck B-) B-)
I think if any team had the potential to bring in £60 millions it would be us.

McGregor has genuinely regressed in the last 18 months. I used to grudgingly acknowledge that he was a very influential and dangerous player for them. Now? he's neat and tidy and very little else.
McGregor would be looking at the likes of Everton at best now.2 years ago as you say he could have been looking at Leicester possibly

BIT LATE WI THEIR APRIL FOOLS!!!! POTENTIAL IS NO IN THE TIMS DICTIONARY!!!!
tenor.gif

Christie will have a decent euros 5 million, Edourd if they are smart sell back to PSG for what they paid as they are making no profit on him. Ajer 10 million, ntcham rhey couldn’t give away..: contract pay off I bet

Usual writing down Celtic players transfer fee. They were never getting £25m for biscuit hips, etc.
I wouldn't be surprised if they got £30m for Edouard (£15m), Ajer (£8m), Christie (£5m) and Ntcham (£2m). Nowhere near the £80m the media were touting.
Compare that to Morelos 16m, Hagi 14m, Kamara 15m, Barasic 12m and Kent 15m.

You forgot "golden handshake" , "bolt-hole" , "jet-heeled winger", "issued a come and get me plea".

It's such a strange article, making out as if it's a really positive thing potentially for Celtic but not really taking into account they have to sell all their best players to achieve the £60million war chest.
How do you end up with a figure of 60m when only one of them is a top player and he is in the last year of his contract and 40% goes to PSG?

I'm lost here. How can you buy Edouard for 9 million, sell him for 25million, give 6.25 million to his previous club and end up with 16.3 million profit?

25,000,000 - 9,000,000 leaves 16,000,000
16,000,000 - 6,250,000 leaves 7,750,000 profit. No?

What am i not getting here

-

That’s a paid for puff piece. Who the %^*& mentions amortisation with a straight face.

These clowns are desperate

Imagine as an 18 year old going to university for years to qualify in journalism. Hopes and dreams of Pulitzer prizes and being the next George Orwell. Then years down the line getting ordered to write that shite and worse put your name on it. Slowing waking up to the fact your in a dead end job in a dead end industry and the only story worth telling your grandkids is the time you put too many sugars in Klaxons coffee. The Daily Record, graveyard of fcuking dreams. Haha I hate reporters gutter dwelling slugs that'll tell you black is white if someone throws them a quid.

Christie will have a decent euros 5 million, Edourd if they are smart sell back to PSG for what they paid as they are making no profit on him. Ajer 10 million, ntcham rhey couldn’t give away..: contract pay off I bet
How will Christie have a decent euros? He's been shit all season. Scotland will get pumped all 3 group games.

"Celtc won't do business for less than £25m" :)) :))

Interested club: "Sit tight for 6 months, we'll take you on a pre contract and give you £8m"

One thing is certain, they are running at a loss. They need to cut costs and whatever money comes in all of it will NOT be spent on bringing players in.
They are trying to paint a picture that everything will be great next season with a big name manager and a war chest. (season ticket time).
More likely to be big nose manager and loan deals.

F*cks sake, since when did we look at the 'amortisation value' when considering profits from player sales. I know what it is and understand the concept but I've never heard two fans say 'aye, he cost us £xm but when you amortise that its only £ym'. Dear oh dear.

It's like the reverse of the 90s when they would always tell us it was an "£Xm deal" a player was being signed in when everone else just talked about transfer fees. They'd lump the wages from the contract on it all to make it look bigger.

Last edited:
The level of journalism in this country, these fannies think they are playing Championship Manager circa 1994

aye when you played 4 teamat once at the start, sold their best players to your team for £1 and punted your dross to the others for kerjillions

Celtic have always been good at getting high prices for their players (if they are to be believed) but they are stretching credulity here. £60 million for players with just a year on their contracts and who were absolute flops when it came to stepping up to CL or EL level?

Personally, I think they would be lucky to get £40 million and that is me being generous. However, to get that they are gutting the team of their best players and, to be competitive, they need to be replaced with equivalent quality.

Of course, it can be done as we have seen at Rangers. But, how often do you get a Kamara for £50k? You need to be really good at recruitment and, if the past couple of years are anything to go by, Celtic have been really bad at it.

They have a lot of real dross on the team earning big salaries. Their wage bill is a lot higher than ours and they aren't getting value for it. They are going to have to offload a bunch of players and that will show up as 'pure loss' to offset the 'pure profit.

It took Gerard three years to rebuild to the standard we have now. It could have been longer if Celtic had been competently managed. So that may well be the time frame that whoever takes over at Celtic is looking at. Personally, I'm hoping that Rangers continue to get better in order to make their time frame even longer.

Back